• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Positive Discrimination

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Positive discrimination to me is as abhorrent as the negative….......

.............One of the few TV programmes I’ve currently been watching is Strictly Come Dancing aired in the UK on a Saturday evening.  If you don’t know it’s a dancing competition where a professional dancer choreographs & teaches their ‘celebrity’ partner a different ballroom dance each week which is scored by a panel of notable judges. Their verdict can be overturned by public votes & the 1st 2 celebrity dancers eliminated just happened to be black.
The 1st one was a little clumsy & the last routine of the 2nd was not in my mind as a appealing as some of the others – nothing to do with anything else other than the dancing! But, Oh Dear! according to the press racism abounds!

NO,NO,NO!!!! - the winner is ORE Thumbs Up as he was my choice too! (who just incidentally happens to be black) 
Thumbs Up to the evil press!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

This is not the first time.

I have been listening to these stories i.e racial hate from both Britishers and Aussies, whether its Cricket match racial slur or some pedestrian view.
Deep down where it counts , most of the south asians see Britishers as racist ever since their history with Eastindiacompany and partition of India.
Even now my Indian and Paki friends keep on telling others racist stories suggesting to goto Canada to settle but not there. If its not black its brown or nationality but profile and divide is there.
Brexit corroborates this mentality.
So its not surprising that general public in that dancing show, might be exposing their discreet sentiments.

Then there is intrinsic outcome of social media, people need to talk about trivialstuff daily, retweet share.
When Trump makes comments on Women genitals in most vulgar way, that signals degradation of society from top to bottom.
Gender , color or hell fatshamming…its all about not accepting otherss even with all the development in Technology, human emotions and narrow mindedness barricades real human evolution, the worst horror comes from the mind of Human not machines.
Tv and media just further human flaws.
World has just turned into hate machine.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 10 October 2016 02:47 PM

.....So its not surprising that general public in that dancing show, might be exposing their discreet sentiments.

Within the context of the dancing show I really don’t believe that’s the case. Viewers don’t vote for the people they want to get rid (in that scenario maybe it’s questionable) - they just have the one vote for a particular couple they want to stay - I don’t vote as I just like to enjoy the show but if I did vote it wouldn’t have been for the lady in question because I liked other dances better & that’s the point - I wouldn’t have not voted for her just because she’s black & I’m pretty sure the general public that voted just were wowed more by other dancers with no racism at all intended & the suggestion of racism just whipped up by a few comments & the press blowing all out of proportion!

EDIT Re Big Brother, I’ve watched about three episodes of that programme at the most here & there over the years & honestly would prefer to do anything else rather than watch that trash!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 11 October 2016 03:52 PM

they just have the one vote for a particular couple they want to stay -

EDIT Re Big Brother, I’ve watched about three episodes of that programme at the most here & there over the years & honestly would prefer to do anything else rather than watch that trash!

In that case its indeed non issue but as i said , people are going to find a reason if there would be none, trivial matters and topics that never existed are now fnding new voice so Black issue is more relevant and just like feminism, pops up and exaggerated in some cases. Black issue even popped in recent oscars.

In Bigboss vid i linked, that Indian actress actually won due to racism.
All hate against her backfired. Difference was actual indian public in million in UK voting for her.

My opinion is just that people like to take their voice on social media, legit or not, big or small.
And even racism wasnt legit in this case ,generally black,lgbt,women persecution card comes into play just because of general behavior towards them.
And yes its used not just for some agenda but on whim and fancy too.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I agree. I think that positive discrimination is as bad as negative discrimination. I live in a country where there is no much black people, or rather theres no black community, however I can tell by what I’ve been told that some in other countries the race card is usually played when something they do not like happens, as they automatically throw the card of racism on the table to justify anything they do not like them. You give the example of that tv-show and I’m not surprised, two black participants left that show and the media are trying to say that theres something racist in all that. And what about the merits? In your example what about if they danced well or not? (surely hardly anyone did this approach).

Here in my country there is a political party that is trying to convert into law a bill for the political positions from now on be occupied: % by women, another % by gays/lesbian/etc, % for anything else, and what the hell is that? I’m not saying that many of these people have not had a bad time in the past, I do not deny that, of course yes, but we can not use that flag to accomplish things that should be based only on merit. Those positions should be filled by qualified people,regardless of sex, sexual preference or color concerned,etc,etc, it is a kind of reverse discrimination that I don’t understand. I think it does more harm than good.

There was a similar approach at the Oscars? Where some were saying that there were not enough black people nominees or something? I ask again and what about the merits? We forget that? All that matters now is to meet certain quotas of political correctness?

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Diversity of genders in corporations makes good atmosphere, esp when its hard to quantify the output of managerial positions, so interview or CV cannot prove the actual worth of any gender beforehand easily.
Women get PR or receptionist jobs to sell product or service mostly and take away jobs of more skillful males, its just the wrong mindset but works.
Similarly a team with diverse background increase your perception to look at same problem and makes atmosphere positive as long as they dont have prejudices and are broadminded.
Now if you are going to put people with right skills with merit then it can be a disastrous echo chamber.
If its skill based job like tech or engineering then no diversity but skill should be prioritized because skill based jobs are easy to quantify and gauged.
If its Managerial position then Emotional quotient is more important and that can be well tested in diverse environment and merit can take backseat, because past degrees cant prove nothing, thats proven by many entrepreneurs like Stevjobs and others.
So yeah quota is must, but that itself also should not skew in someones favor.

Oscar is mostly drama, and won by lobbying and not free from political agendas.
There is a reason why Pakistani Doc director won 2 oscars in a row.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35690403
Not saying she didnt do a good job, but she did a job, which interests the jury and lobbyists

He prefectly nailed it

Might as well push Black card.

Merit talk is not that easy, transparent or just.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Reddeadredemption2 announced.
Now everyone is complaining about no gender or race diversity.
Reminded me of this thread.
Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 18 October 2016 12:20 PM

Reddeadredemption2 announced.
Now everyone is complaining about no gender or race diversity.
Reminded me of this thread.
Smile

Well, maybe those complaining should think about developing a game, writing a book or producing a film themselves with their perfect ‘Cake Sponge’ mix of ingredients just to lead the way to the death of creativity!  Naughty

NB Seriously, gamers are free to criticise but developers should not have constraints put on them to develop their games in the way they want to!  Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

my two cents about racism : that there are those who are truly racist and those who are racist over racism, and at the end, it turned out that the second party is the one who is causing the troubles in this world.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gamers spotted black guy and a woman in last scene, diversity confirmed

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

chrissie - 10 October 2016 01:06 PM

Positive discrimination to me is as abhorrent as the negative….......

.............One of the few TV programmes I’ve currently been watching is Strictly Come Dancing aired in the UK on a Saturday evening.  If you don’t know it’s a dancing competition where a professional dancer choreographs & teaches their ‘celebrity’ partner a different ballroom dance each week which is scored by a panel of notable judges. Their verdict can be overturned by public votes & the 1st 2 celebrity dancers eliminated just happened to be black.
The 1st one was a little clumsy & the last routine of the 2nd was not in my mind as a appealing as some of the others – nothing to do with anything else other than the dancing! But, Oh Dear! according to the press racism abounds!

NO,NO,NO!!!! - the winner is ORE Thumbs Up as he was my choice too! (who just incidentally happens to be black) 
Thumbs Up to the evil press! 

NB I ended up pressing the edit option rather than quote so my original post is not what it was but most of what I mean is still there/here!  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top