• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #4: Anchorhead

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 28 September 2016 05:46 AM

That’s alright, just leave the office door unlocked and wide open. I’m sure they won’t mind.  Grin

Maybe the fly will get out now?  Tongue

>s

Whateley Bridge
A hoary monument of crumbling, moss-eaten flagstones, Whateley Bridge is possibly older than any other structure in the entire city. Ponderously it spans the dark, torpid waters of the Miskaton River, connecting the north and south halves of the city and occasionally raining bits of gravel and mortar from its underside into the water. It looks just wide enough for two cars to pass each other between the flanking stone parapets, but you wouldn’t volunteer to try it.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>x river
>x bridge
>s

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x river
The Miskaton’s waters are sluggish and dark. Some sort of oily film coats the surface, reflecting back ghostly swirls of color.

The clouds overhead mutter restlessly to themselves.

>x bridge
The parapets are about waist high, made of crumbling stone.

>s

Town Square
A wide expanse of uneven pavestones lies open to the sky, bordered on all sides by the leaning, steep-roofed architecture that looms over everything in this city. The municipal courthouse stands at the south end of the square, next to the mouth of a dark, narrow alley to the southwest. Avenues to the west and east lead back into the cramped and ingrown streets, while to the north lies Whateley Bridge.

In the center of the square, rising from a circular lawn of unhealthy-looking grass and weeds, stands a strange, stone obelisk. It seems to be a monument of some sort, although you can see no plaque or marker anywhere near it.

I love the writing in this game. Great atmosphere.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes. Good writing.
Shouldn’t Michael be picking us up by now? I have no idea where to go, I guess it’s just exploring for now.

>x obelisk
>s

Luna, jump in

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

Sorry guys, lunch break only just started!

Also, this map is huge! Any luck with mapping, karlok? Or should I just go for the old-fashioned paper-and-pencil route?

>x key

...more once I know where we end up Tongue

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yep, exploring.

>x obelisk
The obelisk measures about two feet square at its base, narrowing slightly as it rises a good fifteen feet to a bluntly pointed tip. An iron ring is embedded in the stone high up on one side, about two feet from the top. Dense, twisting hieroglyphs cover all four sides of the obelisk, although they are too worn to be read clearly.

>s
The courthouse is closed for the day.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luna Sevithiainen - 28 September 2016 07:00 AM

Also, this map is huge!

You’re already calling it huge? You have no idea! 

Any luck with mapping, karlok? Or should I just go for the old-fashioned paper-and-pencil route?

I will post maps once we’ve explored some parts of the environment. Homemade or existing maps. But it’s really too much work to post a new map every time we enter a new street. Sorry. The paper-and-pencil routine is not a bad idea anyway.

>x keys
It’s just an ordinary-looking keyring. There are two keys (a key to the house and a key to the cellar) on it.

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

Karlok - 28 September 2016 07:06 AM
Luna Sevithiainen - 28 September 2016 07:00 AM

Any luck with mapping, karlok? Or should I just go for the old-fashioned paper-and-pencil route?

I will post maps once we’ve explored some parts of the environment. Homemade or existing maps. But it’s really too much work to post a new map every time we enter a new street. Sorry. The paper-and-pencil routine is not a bad idea anyway.

No probs, just checking whether it was still a thing Smile

>x courthouse
>sw

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x courthouse
The courthouse is probably the largest building in the old city, although that isn’t saying much. Built, like nearly every other structure here, with an eye toward steep roofs, leaning gables, and an overall air of looming decay, it casts its stern shadow across the square like an old Puritan magistrate passing judgment on some cowering sinner. Wide wooden steps lead up to its main entrance due south of here, while a narrow alley leads around the side of the building to the southwest.

The rain slackens off momentarily to a weak drizzle, then returns afresh in a brief, freezing downpour.

>sw

Side Alley
This is a featureless blind alley, a dead end. Through the narrow and heavily shadowed opening to the northeast, you can see the square and the obelisk at its center.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Ok, let’s get out of that alley then.

> ne
> x ring
> w

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>ne

Town Square
A wide expanse of uneven pavestones lies open to the sky, bordered on all sides by the leaning, steep-roofed architecture that looms over everything in this city. The municipal courthouse stands at the south end of the square, next to the mouth of a dark, narrow alley to the southwest. Avenues to the west and east lead back into the cramped and ingrown streets, while to the north lies Whateley Bridge.

In the center of the square, rising from a circular lawn of unhealthy-looking grass and weeds, stands a strange, stone obelisk. It seems to be a monument of some sort, although you can see no plaque or marker anywhere near it.

>x iron ring
It’s just an ordinary-looking iron ring.

>w

Dark Corner
The rooftops above you lean so close together as to nearly block out the sky altogether, making this a particularly dark and unpleasant section of the city. The street leads away to the east, and a shadowy driveway leads through a high brick wall to the south.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Let’s try going south and see what’s there
> s

If there’s nothing we can try going back to the watering hole mentioned earlier north of the narrow street?
> e
> n
> n
> n
> n

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>s

Asylum Courtyard
The grim, white-washed edifice of Danvers Asylum bounds this tiny, shadowed courtyard to the south, its narrow, barred windows staring blankly down at you like ranks of shriveled, empty eye sockets. You can escape through a narrow gateway in the high, brick wall to the north.

>s
The asylum is closed for the day.

>n
>n
>n
You close your umbrella, as is your habit after coming indoors.

Local Pub
A dank, drafty old drinking hole lit by flickering, oil-burning lanterns. Smoke collects in greasy pools among the rafters, and shadows crowd thick around. The bar runs the length of the room to your right, while to the south a low doorway opens onto the street.

Mill workers and fishermen occupy a few of the tables, drinking beer or puffing grimly at long-stemmed pipes. Each is wrapped in his solitude, soaking up the general miasma of dreary fatalism.

The lantern sitting on the table nearest you sputters fitfully, throwing distorted shadows across the wall.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

an asylum? oh boy… better start drinking

>sit on table
>order a beer

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>sit on table
There don’t seem to be any seats here that aren’t taken. This doesn’t look like the kind of place you’d want to get too comfortable in, anyway.

>order beer
That’s not a verb I recognise.

>get beer
It’s not likely that anyone would take kindly to that.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top