• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 26 September

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Remake

This is a graphical remake of the early 80’s Infocom Hitchhiker’s game.

Firstly just in case you haven’t ever heard/read the Douglas Adams classic this game is based on then you need to stop whatever you’re doing and get it into your life before doing anything else. It is one of the few cases where the book pales in comparison to the BBC Radio Series. Go listen now.

The original game was text only and, for my money, among the hardest/most frustrating games ever made. Personally I never even managed to leave the earth with the infocom version!

The remake offers not only graphics but also 2 levels of difficulty. However, if you think the easier level means that this game will be simple and not frustrating then oh boy do you have another thing coming!

I think that, although they are basic, the graphics do add quite a lot to the game and I suspect make it easier. For instance, it only took me a matter of minutes to get out of Arthur’s Bedroom (the very first room) rather than goodness knows how long in the original.

Puzzles vary from quirky to obscure to downright insane. Most of the text is directly lifted from Douglas Adams (after all, he did design the original game) and it is a lot of fun to be in that universe with “a lack of tea” as one of your inventory items once again!

Does anyone have fond memories of the original?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

remaking a text adventure is something nice, i didnt play any Infocom, but did they capture the text adventure imaginations nicely, and been loyal enough?

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Hitchhiker’s was the first computer game I ever played and of course I loved it.

I’ve been looking for that remake but haven’t found it.  Do you have a link?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dara100 - 26 September 2016 02:44 PM

Hitchhiker’s was the first computer game I ever played and of course I loved it.

I’ve been looking for that remake but haven’t found it.  Do you have a link?

I think it’s this one
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1312/

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

That’s it.  Thanks wilco.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, that’s the one, thanks Wilco!

Just in case anyone wants to revisit or discover for the first time the text adventure, you can play an aniversary edition of it online here http://play.bbc.co.uk/play/pen/g38lb8zppy

I’m not 100% sure if that one is an exact copy of the original but i’m sure it’s close enough!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I’m a big fan of Douglas Adam and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, so when it was originally made into a game I of course had to give it a try. I was however soon defeated by the infamous Babel Fish puzzle Meh

Now that I know there is a graphic remake, I might just give it another try!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I only knew of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy before seeing the film a decade ago, but after seeing the film, I immediately bought and read the books. Fun stuff.

I only know of the game (and it’s infamous Babel Fish puzzle), though. I’d probably enjoy playing it, but the alleged difficulty is giving me pause. If that makes me “so unhip it’s a wonder my bum doesn’t fall off” (to paraphrase Zaphod Beeblebrox), then so be it.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top