• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #18 - Enigmatis 3

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the bonus chapter. While it was interesting to see some things before the arrival of the main characters, from Britney’s point of view, it didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t know (or guessed) from the main storyline. Happy to know that Britney helped until her last breath.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well, I just experienced a nasty crash that corrupted my saved game file. Apparently it was a mistake to continue to play the game that I started right after the initial Enigmatis 3 release (I played a short ways into the demo to see what the game was like) and before the patches.

Curse you, autosave-only!

I don’t really feel like replaying the game right now.

Unless I can convince or bribe my son into replaying up to the point of the crash, I might watch the remainder on youtube.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Awww, that’s a shame, Becky!  I didn’t realize the initial release of the game had problems.

I thought Ravenwood was the most suspenseful of the 3 games, mainly because of those eerie eyes staring out from the cell, but this one had its moments as well.  I agree that the main story was complete without the bonus, but it did make the story more complete.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 02 October 2016 08:46 PM

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t agree. In the first two games, and particularly the second, we were in almost constant contact with the Preacher. He was an immediate adversary. Although he was locked in a dungeon, he was an overwhelming presence.

My quote sounds harsher than I meant it. It wasn’t so much a slight towards this game as it was meant as an extra compliment towards the second game.

We’ve played some truly great casual games in these CPTs, but to me, Ravenwood towers over all of them. Not even the Drawn trilogy could reach its heights, imo. This game just had a really tough act to follow.

They handled it really well. They managed to further expand on the Asmodai lore, the Preacher was yet again a superb villain, and the endgame concluded the trilogy wonderfully. But Ravenwood still stands in a league of its own to me…

In this game it’s not his presence that’s frightening, it’s his absence that is frightening. We know he’s here. And we know he is here for only one reason…to resurrect Asmodai. But where is he? When will he make his move?

I was constantly under the impression that we were playing catch-up to him, that we’d only encounter him at the endgame. It’s part of why I love him as the villain in this trilogy. For the second game in a row, [spoiler]he made us do all the work for him, without us realizing it. And he manipulated us twice in this game alone. In Ravenwood, I figured it out early (or at least heavily suspected it) that he was the prisoner. Here he completely tricked me. Twice.

Basically, he became a bigger, more competent opponent with each game. Perfect villain material in a trilogy.

The prime antagonist only makes two appearances. But he is an overriding presence throughout the game. And the game not only came to a satisfactory conclusion, but it pretty much ended the trilogy on a happy note. Can’t do much better than that.

No argument there.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the bonus game this afternoon. I didn’t find the information as revealing as I did the first time I played the game. Which is not surprising since this is the third time I played it.

Although I did find some of the elements quite touching. Example: you, as good Britney, give the flute to Po so that he can bring the Wrath of God to life. In the main game Po gives it back to you, not as Britney, as he is dying. You then give the flute to Fang so that she can summon the White Bird.

As far as who was it the the Preacher killed, it is obviously the good Britney. I think I mentioned that I was unable to start the game from scratch. So I missed the opening cut scene during this play. The CE bonus game ending shows the as-yet un-crashed plane flying overhead as the Preacher does his thing. I really don’t remember if that exact sequence was duplicated in the basic game opening. I may replay the opening tomorrow to find out. If it was, then the person the Preacher was killing couldn’t be you, the detective.

But since we haven’t met any other characters yet, in the basic game, the poor soul could be anybody.

I am still not convinced that this is not the best game of the series. I can certainly understand other points of view.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

I just finished the bonus game. As compared to many bonus games which seem like they were done by the office intern, this one kept up the quality and suspense of the main game. On the whole, I thought the story and gameplay were excellent, and the setting was memorable. The music was mostly very good, especially the flute (although there was a chapter in the middle where it was very monotonous). Some of the HOs were very good; as Tim said they improved toward the end. However I would have to downrate the game a full star for the minigames, which were rather simple and nothing new. Playing this together really made the game much more enjoyable—lots of good comments by everyone. See you next time…

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I thought this scene was touching:

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I started the game again, and the scene I remember of the Preacher was, again, not there. I wonder if that scene of the Preacher hovering over the person we now know as good Britney was only in the demo. (Of course we saw it again at the end of the bonus game.)

I did see the “wobbly” Britney visual during the first conversation between you and Britney. It is definitely there. In 20-20 hindsight I guess you could say that it is the Preacher trying to stabilize his image. It could also be you still trying to recover from the plane crash. The Preacher version only makes sense once you discover the dead Britney. There is no way to make the connection before that.

Great Playthrough! Thanks Lady K.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 04 October 2016 09:10 PM

I started the game again, and the scene I remember of the Preacher was, again, not there. I wonder if that scene of the Preacher hovering over the person we now know as good Britney was only in the demo. (Of course we saw it again at the end of the bonus game.)

If you have the CE, you can just check the cutscenes in the Extras. It’s the very first one.

The Preacher looms over a brown-haired female with a pony-tail that’s reaching for a flare near a crate. I think it’s safe to say this cutscenes takes place right after the final one of the bonus chapter and that the person is in fact good Britney.

I did see the “wobbly” Britney visual during the first conversation between you and Britney. It is definitely there. In 20-20 hindsight I guess you could say that it is the Preacher trying to stabilize his image. It could also be you still trying to recover from the plane crash. The Preacher version only makes sense once you discover the dead Britney. There is no way to make the connection before that.

Actually, I don’t think it makes a lot of sense if the Preacher needs to stabilize his image. He was already in Britney-form to try and appease Fang. Unless he was startled by seeing us and needed to adjust for that instead.

The only thing in the cutscenes that doesn’t really make sense is the plane flying overhead in the final one. Given the time it took the plane to hit something mid-air and crashing, we should be dozens of miles away at the start of the game, not just in the nearest valley…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well, it turns out that my gaming computer is undergoing continuous problems, so it wasn’t this game that caused the crash—it was my computer’s awkward reaction (I think) to a recent update. So I watched 123Pazu’s “Let’s Play” on a different computer to finish up the game and bonus section. It wasn’t as immersive an experience that way, of course, but I found it strangely relaxing to watch somebody else deal with the HO screens and puzzles.

I enjoyed the ending a lot. It turns out that the Preacher WAS with us much of the time—we just didn’t realize it. The bonus chapter was eerie, knowing everyone’s fate in advance. I was especially intrigued that Raphael had remained on Earth for centuries (albeit in stasis) to keep Asmodai in check. I remember thinking earlier in the series that the detective/protagonist might be Raphael returned to Earth in human form. I thought that there must be SOMETHING special/paranormal about the detective. But apparently not. She’s just smart, conscientious and stubborn.

The 2nd game in the series is still my favorite. I agree that it was a hard act to follow.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 05 October 2016 04:04 PM

I remember thinking earlier in the series that the detective/protagonist might be Raphael returned to Earth in human form. I thought that there must be SOMETHING special/paranormal about the detective. But apparently not. She’s just smart, conscientious and stubborn.

In this game, there was a brief moment where the lore spoke of The Chosen no longer being fully aware of their purpose and intent, but remaining ever watchful, before it was confirmed that this still referred to the monks. For a second, I thought our detective was The Chosen.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 05 October 2016 04:04 PM

I found it strangely relaxing to watch somebody else deal with the HO screens and puzzles. The 2nd game in the series is still my favorite. I agree that it was a hard act to follow.

That is unusual. I have found it quite stressful to watch someone else play the game. I find myself screaming at the screen “I see the fishing lure! Why don’t you see the lure?” I found this to be a real problem with Angelica Weaver.

I think this game is the best of the three in the same way I think the third game of the Drawn Trilogy was the best. It certainly had more plot twists. And, in the end game of the basic game it certainly had more “Oh S**t” moments.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I liked the graphics in the game, especially these puzzle stories:

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

One thing I didn’t get though…..
Why the “Wrath of God” (the griffin actually) attacked us in the old man’s hut?
The Preacher was still at the village at the time and not with us!! Was it because we broke its nice statue near the crash landing?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s only speculation on my part, but the bird, at that point in time, didn’t know whether we were good guys or bad guys. It’s only after we took care of Fang that it left us alone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top