• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

OOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GOG v Steam

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I hate Steam. There may not be a rational reason for that sentiment, but that’s the way I feel. Interface is non-intuitive. Games are not DRM-free unless you are supplied a key by someone offering a DRM-free download.

GOG is great, providing it has the game you are looking for. It comes pre-loaded with DOSBox settings, and once the download is complete, you are pretty much set to go.

Which is the best site for you?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2016-09-16

PM

The DRM factor is a big one for many people, so that makes the choice easy for them. I personally use both at the moment. I have GOG Galaxy where I pretty much play all my adventure games, old and new, and I use Steam for some Bethesda-published games because, well… because they aren’t available anywhere else.

As for intuitiveness, I personally don’t see much of a difference. Both have easy downloading, installing, and auto-updating. Steam is obviously more feature-packed, but if all I want to do is hit a Play button, then it’s all the same to me.

EDIT: I just realized I haven’t even answered the question! Well, if I had to choose, I’d probably go with GOG because they’ve done so much to revive all these old games. Re-discovering them has been such a joy!

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I have the same sentiment towards Steam. Unfortunately, Gog.com’s catalogue is slim compared to Steams so I am forced to buy some games off of Steam.

I just hope gog.com will dab more into visual novels.

To answer the question: Gog.com

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I also prefer GOG. I don’t even have a steam account - partially to protect myself. I’ve got over 100 games still to play in my GOG-account. If I would also start buying games on Steam, there’s no chance I’d play even a fraction of what I own… Most adventure games I’m interested in, are on GOG, so no problem there.

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Unfortunately GOG refuses a ton of games… I wish I could publish my own adventure game on it, but I can’t. Here’s why :

We’ve taken a look at your title, it seems like an engaging game with
some cool features.

Unfortunately, however, we feel that it would not be a good fit for
GOG. Right now we are fully focused on releasing titles that are going
to be a perfect match for our users

I am afraid that your title does not match our criteria, so we need to
pass on it.

So, as you can see, they won’t even let me know why they reject it. How am I supposed to know what to improve?
My game has good reviews (72 metacritic, 92% positive Steam rating), much better than, say, ARMIKROG which is on GoG.

I don’t mind they didn’t accept my game - I know it’s not the best game ever, and I half expected it - but not saying why? Is it the graphics? The story? The gameplay? No idea!

And it’s the same for excellent adventures like Nelly Cootaloot for example. It seems they only care about popularity, not quality.

More on this here : https://www.gog.com/forum/general/demetrios_the_big_cynical_adventure_rejected_by_gog

I understand, it’s their store, they do what they want. But still, they’re disrespectful.

Also, I’ve heard many times that GoG decides the price of games for the devs, sometimes against their will. Steam doesn’t do that.

If you care about DRM Free games, I suggest you take a look at itch.io.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

GOG are a lot more curatorial about what goes into their store - I suspect it’s at least partly because the process of adding games to the GOG store is a lot less automated than Steam, so requires more work to be done manually. Given that GOG’s budget is much smaller in the first place, I can understand they’d be more hesitant to add new things.

I’m surprised at the comment about the Steam interface being less intuitive - I mostly find it more usable than GOG, which was clearly designed for a much smaller range and hasn’t scaled so well. I guess a few things aren’t as well implemented such as separate downloads of soundtracks etc.

I do appreciate the work GOG do on getting old games working and presenting them with the original manuals and so on, and it would still be where I’d choose to buy those - but they’ve slowed down a lot on the retro releases, so I don’t go there much these days. I’d mostly choose to buy games from Humble now - prices are comparable with Steam, a cut goes to charity, I get a Steam key for the game as well as a DRM-free version if it’s available, and have the added confidence of owning the game in more than one place.

Edited to add: My actual preference for anything indie would be to buy it direct from the developer, which often means a Humble key. Itch.io is popular with the cool kids, too - it’s a whole different ethos though, with individual storefronts like a kind of bandcamp for games rather than a competitor for Steam.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I actually wish GOG were more curatorial. They seem to be accepting not just games that are good and old but also games that are neither old nor good. I used to go there to the adventure section with confidence that anything I bought will be a classic, but not any more.

As for Demetrios - okay, it sucks for the developer but people will still find it. Not being on GOG has never stopped me from finding and buying a game I want. You mentioned Nelly Cootalot which was one of my top adventures this year, but I still don’t think it belongs on GOG.

Never used Steam and never will. I don’t accept the principle of DRM at all.

I might also mention that GOG has excellent customer service - personalized troubleshooting and no dispute refunds.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Oscar - 21 September 2016 04:50 AM

I actually wish GOG were more curatorial. They seem to be accepting not just games that are good and old but also games that are new and to be honest, don’t look all that good either. I used to go there to the adventure section with confidence that anything I bought will be a classic, but not any more.

That all changed when the name changed from Good Old Games to just GOG - they’re explicitly not just focussed on older games (and possibly also good ones, though that’s more subjective) since the rebranding in 2012.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I prefer DRM-free GOG, especially for older adventures. The proces of downloading games, including manuals and extras is much more straightforward. In my experience some older games work better on GOG. Noctropolis is one example. I wasn’t the only player that couldn’t see text in the Steam version. The problem could be solved, but I couldn’t play fullscreen anymore. I didn’t see anyone complain about this problem at GOG, so I took a chance and bought Noctropolis again. Text visible. Smile Same computer, same everything. I don’t understand these things, but there it is. Another example is my beloved The Last Express. The Steam version doesn’t have the marvelous credits. Why? I don’t know.

On the other hand, Steam has the developers who respond to your questions and technical issues. And of course they have more games.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I use both happily but I have far more games on steam for 2 reasons:

1. More choice & deep deep sales!
2. I do worry about a site going bust or shutting up shop and not being able to download the game I paid for. It’s happened before after all. Yes, I know, I should keep back ups, but I don’t always. Although GOG appears very robust (CD Projekt Red after all) I believe that when the bomb drops it will be cockroaches and Steam left.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I have to mention I’m surprised so many of you seem to “dislike” Steam, yet pretty much all the sales are done on Steam. You’re a minority.

(I can’t really compare myself because my game can’t be on GoG and Humble Store, but I’ve talked to other devs, and the other stores are peanuts compared to the sales figures on Steam)

it sucks for the developer but people will still find it.

But that’s exactly the problem. You will search for it only if you know (and are interested) about it.
Less visibility on stores means less chance for people to know about a game. On this site, you may be aware of it, but I’m pretty certain 99 % of potential players don’t know it exists. Any visibility is important, especially on stores. Besides, people who buy games only on GoG or Humble will never be able to buy my game.

The worse is, some people blame the devs when a game isn’t available on these stores!

Thankfully, if GoG and Humble didn’t accept it, Sony did Grin

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I really don’t care that much, it is after all just a place where you buy games, it’s not like I’m marrying either of them. Having said that, then I also have to add that I probably have 20 times more games in my Steam library than on GOG, simply because the Steam catalogue is about 1000x bigger than GOG’s, and they usually have better sales.

Oh, and for all those complaining about DRM on Steam: They also have plenty of DRM-free games, in fact most of the games that are sold on both GOG and Steam, are also DRM-free on Steam.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Actually, I’m surprised Humble refused your game COWCAT. I thought they were quite liberal with letting games on their store..

I dislike DRMs so yes I prefer games on GOG, Humble or Itch.io (but after being burned by Desura I’m a bit skeptical about itch.io).

In term of curating, let’s say that I disagree with some of the choices made by GOG. For example, I don’t see why ASA wasn’t accepted or why AR-K or Nelly Cootalot weren’t accepted.

There’s a lot of worthwhile games that GOG will not accept… And from what I’ve read, the excuses given for refusing a game tend to be flimsy with them sometimes not even downloading the build.

Now, I don’t avoid Steam completely. So, since Steam has so much more choices and because of the bundles with Steam keys, I end up with a lot more games on Steam than on GOG.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

giom - 21 September 2016 11:19 AM

Actually, I’m surprised Humble refused your game COWCAT. I thought they were quite liberal with letting games on their store..

I was surprised too, actually… And same thing, they didn’t tell me why Frown
I had to *insist* to their support to get an answer, because 2 months after submitting the form and the release coming very close, I still didn’t get any reply!

I know “Corrosion - Cold Winter” was refused on Humble too, so at least I’m not the only one… It sucks because I know my game will never be in a Humble Bundle, ever.

I don’t understand how it can be easier to have a game accepted on *consoles* but not PC stores. It just *doesn’t make any sense*...

I think they just believed my game wasn’t popular enough. But is it really that?...

In term of curating, let’s say that I disagree with some of the choices made by GOG. For example, I don’t see why ASA wasn’t accepted or why AR-K or Nelly Cootalot weren’t accepted.

And The Next Penelope, yet an excellent and popular game on Steam… I think GoG has something against French solo game making devs for some reason :p

Or maybe just solo game devs. GoG also refused Undertale for months before finally giving in.

Do they even pay attention to wishlists? Demetrios is there but I don’t expect much.

There’s a lot of worthwhile games that GOG will not accept… And from what I’ve read, the excuses given for refusing a game tend to be flimsy with them sometimes not even downloading the build.

They clearly didn’t even play my game.

Honestly, I’m VERY, VERY, VERY thankful for Steam. It would be impossible to make a living as a solo gamedev without them.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2016-09-16

PM

COWCAT - 21 September 2016 11:00 AM

Less visibility on stores means less chance for people to know about a game.

I think that point can be argued. Personally, I never spend time browsing stores and use them only to buy and download games. I’d rather spend the little free time I have reading about games (and playing them!) on my favorite websites than on store pages. As a result, I can’t recall the last time I discovered and bought a game I knew nothing about on either Steam or GOG. But perhaps I’m in the minority.

Iznogood - 21 September 2016 11:10 AM

Oh, and for all those complaining about DRM on Steam: They also have plenty of DRM-free games, in fact most of the games that are sold on both GOG and Steam, are also DRM-free on Steam.

True, but I believe people still make a distinction between Steam and GOG because one is client-dependent and the other is not. Sure, now we have GOG Galaxy but in its current form, it’s more or less a client version of their website, and as long as they keep it optional, we can still download installers for each and every game. I never do that myself but I know this is important to many.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

COWCAT - 21 September 2016 04:11 AM

My game has good reviews (72 metacritic, 92% positive Steam rating), much better than, say, ARMIKROG which is on GoG.

You are French alright.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top