• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #3: Violet

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think our lovely girlfriend might be on “verbose” mode. Although, Julia doesn’t sound much better.

>get gum
>get frame

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I forgot to mention our “last try” (it’s not part of the normal text):

(last try: seemingly insuperable fog of lethargy)

>get key
Yours, cheese nip.

Ugh.  You were so distracted this morning that you left your bag back at our apartment.  I am a gentle girlfriend and will refrain from marvelling at how it’s past noon and you are only realising this now.

You cannot go get your bag.  You know you are doomed to an afternoon of meandering distraction if you leave this office.

>get notebook
Yours, gumnut.

You look toward the door: the perfume again.  I agree that it’s really appealing.  But, still, this is Julia!

(BTW: I’ve decided I’m just going to “
*” whenever I have an aside. ASIDE or * and I’ll tell you.)

>*
Remember when you first asked me out?  I said, “You already have a girlfriend.”
“I wouldn’t if I had known I was going to meet you.”
“How charming.  Will you say the same thing to the woman you dump me for?”
“Julia and I aren’t serious.  She doesn’t even care about me.  I’m the respectable diversion after the mess with the emeritus history professor leaving his wife.  The only reason she’d be upset is she’s proud of her streak where no man has ever broken up with her.”

>unlock cabinet with key
You unlock the cabinet.

>get gum
You pull the gum off the wastebasket’s rim.  Ick.

>get frame
That seems to be a part of the framed knockout.

You’re looking out the window again.  A blond-haired father and even-blonder son are walking into the park from the east, and entering your view from the west is a zombie.

>

The * is red in the original text. I thought you gumnuts might want the extra info, so I added >* .

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>terse
You’re going to have to use a different verb for me to understand what you mean.

>verbose
Budgie.  You don’t need me to be verbose.  You need to be verbose yourself at the keyboard.

>

Hehe, I like this. Verbose is her middle name.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

so all characters are equally annoying, ok

>open cabinet

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 17 September 2016 09:26 AM

What happens when you tell her to be brief?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 17 September 2016 09:39 AM

I did. Tongue See #33. “Terse” is the command for brief in text adventures. It’s usually the standard mode. But directionally challenged Karlok always needs “verbose”, so I always get the location descriptions, not just the first time you visit locations.  This game doesn’t use those commands.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>open cabinet
You open the cabinet, revealing a very odd balloon and a plastic bottle filled with a fluorescent pink liquid.

>

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>get balloon
>get bottle
>open bottle
>drink liquid

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 17 September 2016 09:54 AM
Oscar - 17 September 2016 09:39 AM

I did. Tongue See #33. “Terse” is the command for brief in text adventures. It’s usually the standard mode. But directionally challenged Karlok always needs “verbose”, so I always get the location descriptions, not just the first time you visit locations.  This game doesn’t use those commands.

Some games use “brief” instead. I tried it and got this:

>brief
No.  Verbosity is what we need from you today.

I also like when you don’t enter a command:

>
Just because you are imagining me doesn’t mean I’m a mindreader.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 17 September 2016 10:00 AM

Some games use “brief” instead. I tried it and got this:

>brief
No.  Verbosity is what we need from you today.

AFAIK “terse” is standard. I never use “brief”. And this game often gives a different answer the second time. Which you should know, cause you’re obviously playing along, as I did with Spider and Web. Or are you ahead of us? 

>get balloon
Yours, honeytoast.

>get bottle
Yours, nutter butter.

You are distracted by Julia saying especially loudly “...You could use mine to calculate pi…”*

>*
Remember the story about how when Julia was in college, she told two math guys she’d hook up with whichever one memorised pi to the most places?  She made them stand on chairs at a party, alternating digits until one of them missed.  She claims it went on for two hours.

Then she didn’t even go home with the winner!  Instead there was a Russian computer scientist who claimed he could spontaneously generate truly random digits.  She said, “Prove it!”  He said, “Four!”  And she swooned and pulled him into a bathroom.

I cannot believe she told you that story and you continued dating her.

>open bottle
It’s open.

>drink liquid
Holy [bother]* is that strong!  You feel like your brain is now a giant sparkler.  You feel invincible.  You feel like buying a circus.  You feel like moving to South America and starting a revolution.

Dissertation?  You feel like writing a trilogy.  And an opera.  You feel like fathering roomfuls of monkeys to type randomly until they write your dissertation for you.

Whatever else, you’re now plenty alert.  (I’m e-mailing Marty to find out where I can get some of that.)

>*
I’d never thought of Australians as language prudes, but I decided Wisconsin was turning me into such a pottymouth that something needed to be done.

>

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 17 September 2016 10:17 AM

AFAIK “terse” is standard. I never use “brief”. And this game often gives a different answer the second time. Which you should know, cause you’re obviously playing along, as I did with Spider and Web. Or are you ahead of us?

No, I just jumped on the online Parchment version to try it. I won’t be playing along.

>write

Or do we have to go through the sit down, open word processor routine first?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 17 September 2016 10:26 AM

No, I just jumped on the online Parchment version to try it. I won’t be playing along.

I’m using the online version too. Much easier to cut and paste than in Frotz.

>write

Or do we have to go through the sit down, open word processor routine first?

Fortunately, we don’t have to be THAT verbose. Smile

>write
(first sitting on chair)
Completely, unblinkingly alert, you start thinking again about the first sentence.  “Previous scholarship has typically conceptualized…”  Six seconds later you check your e-mail.  You switch back to your word processor for a bit, but then you start reading some blogs.  You check your e-mail again.  Then back to blogs.

I suspect this is much of how the past several months in your office have gone.

>

(last try: distracted by online wonders)

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>disconnect ethernet cable
>write

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>disconnect ethernet cable
You unplug the ethernet cable.  Good!  It has to be easier to write if you can’t chat, check e-mail, and surf the web whenever you want.

You are thinking about your bag.  Sure, it’s unfortunate, but there’s nothing you can do.  So just forget about it.

>write
You resume thinking about the first sentence.  You fidget.  Your hands tremble a bit.  You want to check your e-mail.  You want to read blogs.  And then: you retrieve the cable and plug it back into the computer.

Ugh.  I didn’t know it was this bad, nutter butter.  I don’t know what to say.

>

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>get ethernet cable
>open window
>throw cable out window
>write

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top