• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 01 November 2021 06:09 PM
chrissie - 01 November 2021 03:53 PM

Surely ‘point n click’ is descriptive of the interface of a game rather than it’s genre?

Anyway I couldn’t leave Saint Kotar alone & got to over 5 hours of gameplay before dragging myself away to devote to non-game stuff I should have been getting on with.

I’ll get back to more later on but this game has to be viewed as a visual novel rather than   being judged on the basis of it being a game like Black Mirror.

I also invested around 5 hours into the game and I think I’m done with it. There are indeed no real puzzles, you are walking and talking 95% of the time, and the rest 5% consists of such epic quests as “go to the next room and look what’s in there”. Like in Black Mirror, you can’t pick up anything or leave the set of locations unless you need to, but, unlike in BM, there’s not much to do. I also don’t understand what the game tries to be - a Twin Peaks-like dark fantasy with characters acting “weird” for the sake of it or a trashy ultra-gory Italian horror that just throws nasty stuff at you. Either way it doesn’t work for me.

Yeah I’m just so tired of developers throwing out buzzwords. This game’s story has much in common with gabriel knight, as the godfather has in common with Sharknado lol.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 01 November 2021 07:09 PM

agree, now that i have played two hours, wishing it gets any different, but no, no kind of ‘adventuring’ was going on and it seems it gonna keep on drailing this way. i will pass now.

too bad, it has too much potential

I know I’m not your favorite person right now but didn’t you say you were enjoying the game one post ago? what changed within 2 hours of playtime?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the game starts like any other adventure, with small areas and bit of dialogues like any, but it just keeps on the same, with only 5 minutes here and there you actually* take control of the protagonist(s) but then keep on dragging again.. i can’t tell if there is any change far into it, but now I couldnt care less to know.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Don’t worry guys, I’ve been assured by the developer it gets better after 6 hours.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 01 November 2021 09:11 PM

Don’t worry guys, I’ve been assured by the developer it gets better after 6 hours.

Is this sarcasm or trolling, but on their steam page there is “one fan” going into about every thread calling the dialogue on par with some of the greatest literally works such as edgar poe LOL. Here is an EXCERPT from his post…

WTF….Who is responsible for this game? E.A.Poe and family personally? I can’t remember when I was so captivated by a game until the last second in recent years. The story ... I have no words, and after the game I had to let everything sink in first. I’m used to experiencing such intensity in a movie, but not in a game. With a total of more than 20 hours of play, I still couldn’t complete all of the tasks, which means that I missed a lot. I hope this is because of my negligence and not because there were no ways to do it all in one go. While most adventures build on their puzzles, Saint Kotar concentrates on the narration, which left nothing to be desired when I played. The fact is that Saint Kotar was an unforgettable gaming experience for me. Until the next run, which will probably not be long in coming.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 10:50 PM

Is this sarcasm or trolling

A bit of both.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 01 November 2021 11:02 PM
Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 10:50 PM

Is this sarcasm or trolling

A bit of both.

I called this last yr, it is sad. Like I said whoever does the background art is really good, each scene looks eerie and appropriately creepy, but everything in each scene was animated and/or written by somebody with far less talent than that artist. Plus I know voice acting is hard to get right but so much of this was not done properly.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 11:06 PM

I called this last yr, it is sad.

Cry

Perhaps the Poe comparisons are fitting after all.

Thou wast that all to me, love,
For which my soul did pine—
A green isle in the sea, love,
A fountain and a shrine,
All wreathed with fairy fruits and flowers,
And all the flowers were mine.

Ah, dream too bright to last!
Ah, starry Hope! that didst arise
But to be overcast!
A voice from out the Future cries,
“On! on!”—but o’er the Past
(Dim gulf!) my spirit hovering lies
Mute, motionless, aghast!

For, alas! alas! with me
The light of Life is o’er!
No more—no more—no more—
(Such language holds the solemn sea
To the sands upon the shore)
Shall bloom the thunder-blasted tree,
Or the stricken eagle soar!

And all my days are trances,
And all my nightly dreams
Are where thy grey eye glances,
And where thy footstep gleams—
In what ethereal dances,
By what eternal streams.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 01 November 2021 11:47 PM
Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 11:06 PM

I called this last yr, it is sad.

Cry

Perhaps the Poe comparisons are fitting after all.

Thou wast that all to me, love,
For which my soul did pine—
A green isle in the sea, love,
A fountain and a shrine,
All wreathed with fairy fruits and flowers,
And all the flowers were mine.

Ah, dream too bright to last!
Ah, starry Hope! that didst arise
But to be overcast!
A voice from out the Future cries,
“On! on!”—but o’er the Past
(Dim gulf!) my spirit hovering lies
Mute, motionless, aghast!

For, alas! alas! with me
The light of Life is o’er!
No more—no more—no more—
(Such language holds the solemn sea
To the sands upon the shore)
Shall bloom the thunder-blasted tree,
Or the stricken eagle soar!

And all my days are trances,
And all my nightly dreams
Are where thy grey eye glances,
And where thy footstep gleams—
In what ethereal dances,
By what eternal streams.

Or a videogame writer who thinks every word they write is going to change the world, but in reality it is written and acted like this.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 08:24 PM

Yeah I’m just so tired of developers throwing out buzzwords. This game’s story has much in common with gabriel knight, as the godfather has in common with Sharknado lol.

Indie devs who use Sierra,Lucas classics titles as nostalgia bait have to pay fine.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabe - 02 November 2021 06:55 AM
Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 08:24 PM

Indie devs who use Sierra,Lucas classics titles as nostalgia bait have to pay fine.

Yeah exactly and I get the impulse to do so because they know they dont have an All-Star cast or AAA production, so they have to pull on some kind of strings. But just be honest and don’t call you a game and old-school adventure game which it’s not. Or compare it to Gabriel Knight which it is also not other than the fact it has creepy scenes I guess???

like I said compared to another game that just got re-released Kathy rain which has a lot more in common with Gabriel knight than saint kotar. I would say kathy rain went a little too far in ripping some stuff off from gk1, but at least it was a competent well-made game that had real puzzles and a direction. you could see the developers had talent, which I think was far more realized in their follow-up game Whispers of a machine

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 November 2021 04:36 PM

This is the last post I’m going to make on review gate. The game on Steam has 26 reviews a couple of the negative ones magically turned positive or vanishe. maybe their experience improved as they played, but you can also see the Devs artificially inflating the thumbs-up reviews. One positive review has 60 something hours as a play time. That’s quite amazing considering the game just came out like two days ago. So either it’s a dev posting a review or a beta tester posting review to try and pump up the numbers. it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I’m sure there are several people that liked the game but there’s also some tomfoolery going on.

Hello, dear Jdawg445! Smile Some players like Saint Kotar, others don’t. It’s the devs life, it’s the life of creative people. It’s normal. Everyone has his own opinion and we respect that.

We never said this game is going to be puzzle driven. Saint Kotar is a story-driven and choice driven game. Your decisions influence other characters in the world (you change their fates by what you do), you solve puzzles in different ways by finding special items, you have 120+ locations to explore, you have two very different playable characters, you have lots of side tasks and small things to do that have nothing to do with the main storyline. It’s a big game, with 15 to 20 hours of gameplay time. And we developed it in just 13 months (back then we had nothing but 10 locations and a few characters). We are a team of 3 core members + 3 freelancers.
And it’s not that the game has no puzzles at all. They are in there, but for most players they have an easy to medium level of difficulty. Some players then say it has no puzzles at all. It’s all relative. If you expected more difficult puzzles then you might get disappointed.

Now, about the serious matters you are playing with here…

1) You have zero knowledge of how Steam score reviews work. People who get the key for free cannot in any way influence the overall score of the game. Steam doesn’t take them into account and as such they are not part of the score. You can see them at the bottom of the page, but they don’t count.

2) Our Kickstarter backers paid for the game in advance. They got their keys but, unfortunately, their reviews don’t count towards the overall score because they are regarded by Steam as free keys. It is not fair, but we understand why Steam works that way - it would be impossible for the Steam support to handle them in a different way. If their keys counted, which would be fair as they did pay for the game, the overall score would be above 80% at the moment. Which is not bad, and definitely not as bad as you think the game is.

3) We cannot hide or delete reviews and comments on the store page. We cannot contact people who left reviews or comments. We cannot influence in any way anyone on the store page. We would never do that, but it is also impossible as Steam doesn’t work that way. Learn and search information before stating something so horrible. Learn to respect the devs who worked so hard for so long! Even if you don’t like the game (which you didn’t even bother to play).

4) We can’t possibly know who that players with 60 hours of gameplay time is, but most likely it’s one of our Kickstarter backers who had Alpha and/or Beta access. So now you are making an accusation that he is just there to pump the numbers up? He doesn’t have the right to say what he thinks about the game? Again, his review is there, but it doesn’t count towards the overall score.

5) We would never post reviews about our game. We are not immoral morons and liars, despite the fact that you think we are (well, reading your posts I guess you think a lot people around you are).

6) the man who commented that terrible thing “Catholic feelings” was fired the next morning. He had zero incidents until then, but that single one was enough. Players must be heard, whether we agree with them or not. I’m also close to sue him.

Be careful when making these kind of serious accusations you’re making here. Yes, this is “just a forum”, but what you are doing here is playing with our reputation. Continue doing so and we might consider to take legal action. Be advised. I repeat, you may like the game, you may hate it, you may love or dislike it, whatever, but you can’t write stuff like that about us influencing people or pumping up numbers. It’s evil. And I repeat, each player has the right to his/her own opinion about the game. You have your own. End of story.

Reading the reviews and the comments on the community hub, but also on so many other channels (and emails and inbox messages), all I can say is there are a lot of people who like Saint Kotar. Sorry, I know it’s hard for you to accept it, but there are.

And to conclude, the game has bugs and stuff we still have to fix. Voice overs, sounds, visual bugs, technical bugs. Nothing serious and game breaking, but they all must be fixed. And they will be as we’re constantly working hard to do that as soon as possible. We have already released 2 patches and we’ll continue to do so until we get the game to a high level of polish.

Thank you all for the feedback!  Smile

- Marko, CEO of Red Martyr Entertainment -

https://www.redmartyr.com - Red Martyr Entertainment is a narratively focused game development studio located at the south end of the magical Istrian peninsula, Croatia. We’re on a quest to deliver fun and memorable games with choices that matter.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

there is also several reviews with an hour or so play time leaving a positive review and it’s the only review they’ve ever left on a game for steam. come on man lol. No doubt there are some people that like the game. Get out of your feelings.

1. I do know how they work and I know they dont get added into the overall score but they do show up. One reason they dont get added by steam is bc they know the review could be slanted keyword could be. If you back a kickstarter and spend money not only for a free steam key but the higher tiers, they know you will be far more forgiving to a game. Nobody wants to slam a game they spent 30 to 100s of dollars on. See star citizen as a big example.

2. see my reply on number 1

3. this is only partially true, you can indeed post comments on said reviews, both positive and negative and you have numerous times, which is fine. but you can indeed respond to most reviews.

4. I even said it was prob a beta tester, and that it was strange not nefarious. I would say a tester who puts in 60 hrs most likely would not then say this game is bad.

5. I hope not, like I said there are a couple of reviews with less than 2 hrs of game time, and the only game they reviewed ever was yours. I have no doubt some like your game. A lot dont.

6. That was a swift action as ceo but that was your choice as the leader, but I think an apology would have been good enough instead of a firing.

7. I might not be likeable to you, but threating to sue me, and saying I dont trust people around me, is prob not helping you or this games PR.

Good luck to your future endeavors

-Jdawg445 CEO of Nothing (Im retired now)

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Somehow topic become more interesting than game itself.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabe - 02 November 2021 11:01 AM

Somehow topic become more interesting than game itself.

Anytime somebody throws out the I’m going to sue you line, it does more damage to their brand than anything else

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top