• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #17 - Eternal Journey: New Atlantis

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

You’re absolutely right, Tim — alone on a planet, with those grubs threatening me, I’d shatter the Rosetta Stone. Still, for all I know, those glowing pyramids could hold the secret to defeating the bugs. It’s hard to know what might be helpful with alien technology.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m behind and trying to catch up—I’ve just restored the drill and broken through the wall.

Amrite Stone is a confusing character—in her profile found in the memory device gizmos (a good description!) she is listed as the lead archaeologist for the Atlantis underwater excavation. Apparently she was much more than just a linguist. So why did she feel she needed to prove herself back on Earth? Very strange

The first time I played this game, I collected all the memory device gizmos except for one—that one was in the area where [spoiler]the creature suddenly comes at you from out of nowhere. I spent a loooong time looking for it last time—finally threw in the towel. This time I found it! So I may be able (eventually) to collect all the gizmos.

I like how large the gameworld is. And the backstory on the demise of Earth and the hope for humanity vested in the Martian station is effective. I enjoyed the blurb on the problem of finding scientists who will agree to work on Mars. Seems (so far) that the scientists who refused to work on Mars were, well, prescient.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s time to place that pretty blue shape into the door and take Ms. Stone to the satisfying conclusion to the story.  I’ve targeted Wednesday, June 22 as our final day for those playing the standard edition.  The collector’s edition is another decent-sized chapter, so anyone playing it should let me know when they finish.

This room with the pyramids certainly kept us busy during this section of Amrite’s adventure:

I like the use of the translating device here but also that the visual hints were there as well. 

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m caught up! I just waltzed through the door.

Have you noticed that there are a lot of paint rollers in the various HO screens? Someone spent more time painting than researching. I wonder if there’s a subliminal message here somewhere.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished. This section was even shorter than the first section. I did like it that the cat is no longer feared. And, in fact, turns out to be quite the helper. I also was elated when they took it with them to Terra Nova.

Since I am playing the SE version, I look forward to reading the description of what is contained in the CE bonus game. The game’s ending hints at a sequel, which, to my knowledge, never appeared.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I finished the game and I have to admit that I was very disappointed from the story conclussion. The ending was far too Hollywood for me. Why Michael was there, thousands of years since the last time we saw him? If he was the original Michael’s grand-grandson or something similar, then the protagonist is simply creepy. And also, the luckiest person ever.  What are the odds for something like that? The most intriguing question of all though was…..why the queen let us live?? Why did she simply wait for us to kill her?? Did she want to die? If that was the case she could have done this without any need to kill the entire crew. I was really disappointed from that and I was hoping that the queen would actually using the bugs as some form of communication for a deeper purpose the crew misunderstood. The way it was presented though, makes literally no sense why our character is still alive. Or why the aliens tortured Michael (killed him and then re-created him inside the coffin) for that matter.

Other than that, the game was really nice presented and I enjoyed the riddles and the HOS, which is something extremely rare. I’m also looking forward for any comments from the CE owners in case some of my storyline questions get answeres.

EDIT: I also had great laughs when I saw that the book with unlimited knowledge about the Martian civilization contained…...a piece of lever at the end of it. In a special case too! Adventure gaming logic at its finest!  Grin

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I did watch the bonus chapter being played on YouTube. It’s in three parts, and is quite long. Over an hour to watch all three parts. It does answer some of sefir’s questions, although not all of them. It is a prequel, and basically answers the questions how did Michael arrive here?, and how did he end up in the coffin?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished too & regret not buying the CE as although I did like the happy ending it may have seemed less far-fetched on playing that bonus chapter & given the reason why Michael was there & also kept alive?

I’m baffled as to why you as the protagonist wasn’t attacked - maybe the bugs & the ‘queen’ were prone to measles! Laughing Laughing Laughing - which leads me to wonder how she’s not going to infect a future human population? The game certainly lends itself to a sequel. I really enjoyed the game along with the stunning immersive environments + cut scenes - I really should play more sci-fi!    Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

One question that wasn’t answered, (or maybe it was and I just didn’t get it,) is what was the time difference between the year that Michael arrived and the year that our protagonist in the main game arrived? Was it less than a year? Was it more than 30 years?

Judging from the appearance of Drs Li and Sven in the prequel, it must have been a fairly long time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Re: Why the Queen leaves Amrite alone—in the Bonus chapter there’s a note on Dr. Li’s computer that speculates that the only thing that could kill the Queen would be the measles virus or the virus that killed the cat. So apparently Amrite was a walking bomb for the Queen. Hmm. That means she didn’t need to get the sample and inject it—all she had to do was breathe on the Queen or touch her?

Re: Why Michael was still alive—he was nearly killed trying to rescue Amrite, suffered brain damage as she did in the accident on the ocean floor, and was revived when the medical technology that healed Amrite became available. It is odd that the doctors “fixing” their brains never informed them that the other one was revived.

I’m still playing the Bonus but I think I’m near the end.

I don’t think there could have been a long time lapse between [spoiler]Michael and Amrite’s arrivals. If Dr. Li and Dr. Sven had been dead 30 years, it wouldn’t have made sense to send Amrite there to assist them. Differences in their appearances might have more to do with a different team developing the SE and the Bonus chapter (just guessing here—I didn’t notice that much of a difference myself, but then I wasn’t paying attention to that—too busy goggling at the surroundings).[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 20 June 2016 03:02 PM

Re: Why the Queen leaves Amrite alone—in the Bonus chapter there’s a note on Dr. Li’s computer that speculates that the only thing that could kill the Queen would be the measles virus or the virus that killed the cat. So apparently Amrite was a walking bomb for the Queen. Hmm. That means she didn’t need to get the sample and inject it—all she had to do was breathe on the Queen or touch her?

So you do need the bonus chapter to understand the significance of Amrite being a measles carrier? & therefore why she wasn’t attacked?

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

In a hive situation, the queen would have workers protect her from harm.  Since Amirite literally fell into her lair, maybe it short-circuited the usual defense system.  Despite her size, the queen wasn’t as menacing as the more active bugs.  Also, the hive had the ability to make use of the DNA of humans, so maybe it prevented the queen from perceiving Amirite as a threat.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Chrissie—Well, you could guess the virus/measles threat/connection (as you did), with the Bonus providing confirmation.

And I like your analysis, LadyK!

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

I finished the main game and started the CE. I agree with Sefir that it got kinda flaky at the end, but it still had a super game world.

BTW, wasn’t it germs that killed the Martians in War of the Worlds?

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

cluelass - 20 June 2016 07:18 PM

BTW, wasn’t it germs that killed the Martians in War of the Worlds?

At least in the Tom Cruise version. Don’t remember what happened in the Gene Barry version. (Almost before my time.) Wink

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top