• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04rtrooneySamandMax

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which version of Broken Sword 1?

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2006-11-04

PM

As my title says I’m here to find out which version of the first broken Sword, the original or the directors cut would be better to play and I would like all of you to help me decide. I have all the games and now that I’m a Backer on the new game being made I have a desire to play them. But I’m torn which version of the first game would be better to play. So let your feelings and opinions begin.  Cool

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I prefer the original. The Director’s Cut version might have some added gameplay (that feels completely disjointed from the main story arc btw) but it removed a lot of hot spots, great dialog etc.

Then again, if you prefer the game to be easier, then the Director’s Cut is the way to go, as the lesser amount of hot spots naturally makes puzzles easier to figure out, as there’s almost no hot spots available besides the quest specific ones.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

can not remember if there were different in the Game playing itself but Surely The Directors had an enhanced Graphics Quality for the Cut scenes .

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i’d recommend the original and afterwards the DC which explains some things about the story the original leaves out.if you only had one choice though definitely the original.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The original, because it doesn’t have character profile drawings.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

jhetfield21 - 06 September 2012 05:25 AM

i’d recommend the original and afterwards the DC which explains some things about the story the original leaves out.if you only had one choice though definitely the original.

Mostly agree with this. Maybe some will prefer fewer hotspots, the character portraits (personally I don’t see this as an enhancement), less interactions etc. but the one thing I cannot forgive is changing the intro. It sounds silly to say if you haven’t played it, but the original intro is iconic, the version on the directors cut only goes to highlight how well formed and balanced the original one was.

The new content on the DC is all at the beginning of the game and is passable enough, but can easily be played afterwards as it does not really fit with the rest of the game. I would say that it shows something that was mentioned in the original, but does not explain anything more.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-04-26

PM

diego - 06 September 2012 05:42 AM

The original, because it doesn’t have character profile drawings.

God they were terrible weren’t they.

But yes, play the original always. It’s ten time better than the DC.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

if you don’t have a problem with digital distribution i’d recommend this:
Gog.com-Broken Sword 1

for 6$ it contains both versions DC and original,plus some goodies.play the original and check the DC later for the extra content.not to mention this is DRM-Free

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

I wrote about the differences between the Wii and PC versions of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director’s Cut on my website:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2010/10/26/game-review-broken-sword-shadow-of-the-templars-the-directors-cut-nintendo-wii-pc-digital-download/

It also includes info on what is missing/added compared to the original game.

In my opinion I’d stick with the original 1996 release tbh - it features one of the best openings to an adventure game ever, which is sadly missing from the Director’s Cut.

I also agree with jhetfield21 - the GOG.com version is your best bet as it includes both the original game and the Director’s Cut for $5.99. Or you could just fund Broken Sword 5 on Kickstarter by at least $25 and choose the GOG.com version as your free game! Smile

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

+ By funding Broken Sword 5 you also get the other games for free (at the 50 dollar tier anyway). Of course you’ll have to wait 15 days for that to happen.

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Original is way better.

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well we all agree on that Tongue.the only thing left is for you to decide where to buy it from and what medium.physical or digital?with extras or not…..

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2006-11-04

PM

Thank you all. I will definitely begin again with the Original, I started it years ago and life changes happen so I never completed it. Now what do all of you think of the second game… again is the original version better or is this a case where the remastered version is just as good…. please begin   Wink

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i can’t help there.all in all it’s a good and fun game.but i have no idea what the remaster is like.one thing is certain,no extra content.if it’s anything like the DC i’d recommend the original again.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Go with the original, there’s not even the lure of extra content in the remastered version.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I really liked the Director’s Cut myself.

Content

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top