• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cypher:A Cyberpunk Text Adventure

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Looking around in twitter I saw Agustin Corder’s tweet about a new text adventure.So I decided to check it out.

It was this.

Trailer

Description from site:
———————————————————————————————————————————-
Welcome to NeoSushi City

Ever since you came back from the Moon colonies you’ve been struggling to get into the smuggling business again. Things aren’t as easy as they once were though, especially without your old pal Eddie around. It was him who brought all the major players in the market to do business with. And boy did they line up to hire you. Even the Yakuza used to pay almost twice the standard rate for moving passcodes through the international borders inside your Synapse.

All you’ve got now is a French crook that goes by the name of Lime, who cares more about setting up his own deals than bringing new quality customers on board to work with.

You always knew working with that french bastard was trouble, only you never realized how much until one of the deals he had setup went wrong.

Immerse Like Never Before

CYPHER: Cyberpunk Text Adventure is unlike anything you have ever played before; it is a whole new dimension in game interaction and storytelling you can vividly experience from within the realms of your own imagination!

Think of a book or movie you like the most, now imagine for a moment a limitless world of interaction and adventure where you not only take control of the main character of the story, but ARE the main character of the story! Every word you say, every decision or action you take is exclusively your own in the world of CYPHER.

In Text Adventures you communicate with the game world through conversational English sentences, the same way you would do in a chatroom or writing emails. The story unravels into a thrilling interactive experience that will keep you on the edge of your seat for hours… as long as you can escape death.

A deal that Lime helped to set up went horribly wrong; suddenly, you became a moving target with an incomplete upload inside your Synapse everybody seems to be after.

The chase through the streets of NeoSushi has just begun. How far will you go to stay alive tonight?
————————————————————————————————————————————

There is a promotion with reduced prices and lots of goodies for the collector and deluxe editions for just 27 more days.

I also suggest you read these guys description of themselves as it is hilarious.

I ended up bying it!!Let’s see!

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

so far it’s very atmospheric…..the advice from the developers is to put the headset on, turn the lights off and enjoy.playing this game afterhours when everybody is sleeping is very appropriate.it gives off the same feeling as Gemini Rue(well being a Cyberpunk and set in a decaying world…duh!).

it also has this cool system for accessing memories like a virtual filesystem called QRS.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-09-03

PM

thanks for you impressions, didn’t found any review on this game. I’m not a big fan of text adventure because english isn’t my native language, but this game took my curiosity. At least the art on their website is gorgeous.

But the price is high! Compared to more graphical adventures games released recently. It didn’t help for an impulse/blind buy.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

This game actually looks interesting. I just downloaded it. However I have heard about some bad grammar in the game, but that is according to the developers being taken care of. I have also never played any text adventure games before, so this should be an interesting experience.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

This game looks awesome! I

Dear indie developers, please stop making so many great games and increasing my backlog.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

yeah there are some grammar and spelling issues,I’ve already talked to the devs and it’s being taken care of.but do not be alarmed you can play just as well.these are minor issues and do not affect the atmosphere and the immersion.

also for those who bought the game be sure to check the vip area every so often since there are updates from the devs.

i recommend you buy a version with the hintbook if budget allows,now that there is a promotion going.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

It looked so good that I bought it straightaway. Tried it just now for a couple of minutes. It still looks and sounds good (I love the graphics) except for one thing: the parser can’t handle abbreviations. GGGGRRRRR! It may be a terrific parser in other aspects, time will tell, but typing is going to be a real drag. Only recently posters like tsa and Lucien complained about the old Infocom parser. HA! Those ancient text adventures were smart enough to use abbreviations, like l (look), x (examine), z (wait), etcetera. Example.

Infocom parser:
>x briefcase
>open it
>l in it
>n

Cypher parser:
>look briefcase
>open briefcase
>look in briefcase
>go north

Pan

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

maybe,i don’t have enough experience with text adventures…played a couple of small IFs,Fate and Da Baron by Victor Gijsbers ,and a bit of Zork.I only praised it because of the atmoshpere and the gripping story.

also if you want to talk to someone do not forget to add a space after the comma(something i’ve pointed out to the devs).
Person, question.

i don’t know about other text adventures but the talking system seems rather good.when you talk to the first person which isn’t far from the beginning tell me your opinion.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

jhetfield21 - 04 September 2012 09:12 AM

maybe,i don’t have enough experience with text adventures…played a couple of small IFs,Fate and Da Baron by Victor Gijsbers ,and a bit of Zork.I only praised it because of the atmoshpere and the gripping story.

also if you want to talk to someone do not forget to add a space after the comma(something i’ve pointed out to the devs).
Person, question.

i don’t know about other text adventures but the talking system seems rather good.when you talk to the first person which isn’t far from the beginning tell me your opinion.

Looks and feel cool, what if we dont get promotion manual, where to get the basic
commands and stuff from???

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well there is a manual anyway..i got the standard edition(i spent a little too much lately for a collectors or deluxe edition Tongue).but some things are not in.some times it’s a stroke of genious that you need.

for example you can use wipe but it isn’t listed in the manual(i don’t know if it’s intended but I’ll talk to the devs).I guess though that if it’s intended there probably are hints about these commands in the hintbook.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

jhetfield21 - 04 September 2012 09:12 AM

I have only played Cypher for a couple of minutes, I’ll try again later tonight. But I have never ever ever played a text adventure where you had to type “go north” instead of simply “n”. Frown And the grammar really is bad. Why didn’t they have a native English speaker proofread the whole thing? It’s a commercial game, and not a cheap one at that.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i had to type go north in one of the IF i’ve played….don’t remember if it’s one of Victor’s or Zork.

anyway….as far as the grammar and spelling goes they did have someone proofread them but it turns out he didn’t know english that good so they have gone to a native english speaker now to rectify the problem(or at least that’s what i read from some comments the cabrerabrothers made in another site).but there will be a patch fixing things and i reckon it will be for free and in the vip section of the site,at least for those that have bought it.or they might send out links to those who have bought the game.it’s still early to tell.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Very pretty package but the game sounds like the same old tired cyberpunk story without any new twists.

Even as a spelling Nazi I still would’ve paid for a proper big box edition with actual feelies, but as a download only title, there’s not much incentive with so many games out there (and so many intriguing free IFs I haven’t played)

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Keep in mind these guys had to create a brand new parser based on Unity from scratch, which is a VERY daunting task. I know they’re already working on improvements.

It would have been great if they had integrated their engine with an already existing parser (like Inform), but that’s far from trivial.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

a nice solution would be to let people define their own aliases/macros, much like a m.u.d. client.
But yeah, not letting “n,e,s,w” sub in for “go north” was not very wise.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

jhetfield21 - 04 September 2012 10:24 AM

well there is a manual anyway..i got the standard edition(i spent a little too much lately for a collectors or deluxe edition Tongue).but some things are not in.some times it’s a stroke of genious that you need.

for example you can use wipe but it isn’t listed in the manual(i don’t know if it’s intended but I’ll talk to the devs).I guess though that if it’s intended there probably are hints about these commands in the hintbook.

Yeah just quit the game after spending 5 minutes on typing Turn on the Note and guessing,.
Checked manual, it was Turn [ObJ] on Pan

I think the game should have logical sentence understanding built in, some Bot programs
for viral sites had more complex programming , maybe they are trying to be as
close to the genre.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top