• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 23 April

Total Posts: 5586

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Starship Titanic

The Starship Titanic, advertised as the Ship That Cannot Possibly Go Wrong, has indeed gone wrong and crashed into your living room.  If that’s not surprise enough, a rather melancholy looking robot descends from the ship and asks if you will come aboard and help to put things right.  You agree, and thus begins this wacky first person adventure that only Douglas Adams, with the help of some of the Pythoners, could put together. 

As you explore the ship, you’ll find that there are certain areas you can’t access until you solve puzzles to upgrade your status.  You will meet all kinds of robots who have personalities scanned from the brains of real people.  However, because Titania, the ship’s main computer, isn’t working properly, the bots aren’t either, and communication with them, via text parser, can be hit or miss.  Sometimes they’re helpful, and sometimes they’re just pains in the patootie.  Your main goal is to find the missing parts of Titania scattered about the ship, and you will be confronted with some devious puzzles to accomplish this goal.

As I have mentioned before, this was my very first adventure game, so it has a special place in my gaming heart.  If you like offbeat humor and puzzles that often make you think outside the box, this is an adventure you shouldn’t miss.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 April 2016 12:27 PM

As I have mentioned before, this was my very first adventure game, so it has a special place in my gaming heart.  you shouldn’t

Really? That means you’ve started playing AGs relatively late considering what an expert you’ve become in this area! Gasp
As most of 1st person AGs, I’ve come across Starship Titanic only when I was searching for quiz screenshots. Only thing I still remember from youtube playthrough is a music room puzzle. It looks very interesting!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i hear a lot about this one, and actually i never tried Frown

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 April 2016 12:27 PM

As I have mentioned before, this was my very first adventure game, so it has a special place in my gaming heart.

Wow, starting with something easy huh Lady? Smile

Great game.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

DarkEye,
Thanks for the compliment.  I got my first computer in 1998 and only started playing the following year, but I know I won’t catch up with those who started playing when the early computers came out.

I really liked the music puzzle but thought it was a tough one to solve.

Advie,
It is a fun romp but not to everyone’s taste.  You would probably enjoy the humor, although you might want to murder a certain parrot by the time you’re done.

Oscar,
Since my game-playing time was limited due to my work schedule, it took me a long time to finish the game.  Of course, being a complete novice and having no idea what I was doing didn’t help either, but I was having so much fun discovering new things that I didn’t care.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

This is one of my favorites too.  I had trouble just finding my stateroom though I did like their Mondrian-like design.  With all its quirks it was still a fun game and I run the intro once in a while just to hear the music. 

Somewhere online there’s a list of all the things you can ask the bots about.

Total Posts: 4253

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Starship Titanic is a great game and (although I’ve played it only twice) has its special place in my heart. I love everything about it: the characters, the graphics, the sound… even the puzzles (that can put some folks off,) but the most memorable feature (for me) was the unique way in which one communicates with those crazy robots. That was the first time I’ve seen and used a parser, so I’ve spent quite a few hours trying to dish the wackiest stuff I could come up with to them robots.

And, of course, I love Douglas Adams and The Pythons.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

DarkEye - 23 April 2016 01:20 PM

That means you’ve started playing AGs relatively late considering what an expert you’ve become in this area! Gasp
As most of 1st person AGs, I’ve come across Starship Titanic only when I was searching for quiz screenshots.

I’ve often noticed an inverse relation between the number of adventure someone has played and their skill at solving and/or making quizzes. The only exception I can think of is Bastich.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 April 2016 02:59 PM

You would probably enjoy the humor, although you might want to murder a certain parrot by the time you’re done.

Not a bad thing. Leads to this. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  That’s one of the best sketches ever, TimovieMan!  If I remember correctly, the parrot in ST is voiced by Terry Jones, and the bomb (Yes, there’s a bomb.) is Cleese, although he uses some silly name in the credits.  Even the credits themselves are funny.

Karlok,
Maybe the more games one plays, the less one remembers specific details, except for Bastich, SuperEdy, and Trunkyo. Smile  Oh, and I like your new look.  Cilia is one of my favorite characters.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanks for reminding me I should play this one (one should really play ALL the games where any of the Pythons is involved, even if it’s “only” a voice acting). I just seen some Let’s play of it on Youtube, and I’m glad there’s (at least) some kind of the transition between scenes, somehow I always have troubles with orientation if it’s a “plain” Myst 1 photographs style. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

When I’m exploring in slide-show games, I just stop to look right, left and behind me.  That way the scenery will be familiar on the way back.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

Karlok - 24 April 2016 06:38 AM

That means you’ve started playing AGs relatively late considering what an expert you’ve become in this area! Gasp
As most of 1st person AGs, I’ve come across Starship Titanic only when I was searching for quiz screenshots.

I’ve often noticed an inverse relation between the number of adventure someone has played and their skill at solving and/or making quizzes. The only exception I can think of is Bastich.

That is because people who play a lot rely strongly on walkthroughs. When they get stuck they look at a walkthrough, and they lose the thinking ability.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GrahamDaventry - 25 April 2016 03:42 AM
Karlok - 24 April 2016 06:38 AM

That is because people who play a lot rely strongly on walkthroughs. When they get stuck they look at a walkthrough, and they lose the thinking ability.

LOL! You must have played a sheer impossible number of games, cause I don’t see evidence here of any thinking skills.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

Karlok - 25 April 2016 04:31 AM

LOL! You must have played a sheer impossible number of games, cause I don’t see evidence here of any thinking skills.

Still upset at me for calling your beloved Deponia Doomsday a bad game? Oh dear…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GrahamDaventry - 25 April 2016 04:54 AM
Karlok - 25 April 2016 04:31 AM

Still upset at me for calling your beloved Deponia Doomsday a bad game? Oh dear…

That was you? I could have sworn it was someone called incometrader.
No, I never have a problem with other people’s game preferences. I do however have a problem with reviewers like JW.

EDIT: I checked, you posted twice in the Deponia thread.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top