• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra_Online Games (Rank)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

rtrooney - 21 April 2016 02:45 PM

I am surprised that neither Dagger of Amon Ra nor Freddy Pharkus were included. And while it wouldn’t be one of my favorites, the absence of Phantasmagoria is conspicuous.

thnx Tim for this positive debate Smile, tho you can make your own list, i will tell you what i think why those three arent mentioned:
Dagger of Amon Ra, if any of the series should be at the list its Colonel’s Bequest, and already gave it, its deserved consolation just a post above.

Freddy Pharkus, it might be any one’s favorite, but hardly can be anyone’s best, and i tried to integrate at this list between both, so, i am sure i didnt miss it.

Phantasmagoria, those are just the top 10, if i had to go a little further sure it should have had its place.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

10.GoldRush
9. Colonel’s Bequest
8.Jones in the Fast Lane
7.Peppers Adventures IN Time
6. Conquest of Camelot
5. Rise of the Dragon
4. Police Quest II
3. Manhunter
2. Kings Quest III
1. Kings Quest V

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I used to play LucasArts adventures since childhood, but then discovered the whole Sierra catalogue and it really grew on me with years. I do understand your aggressive promotion of Sierra titles, Advie Smile They may be not as polished, but those interactive worlds, the variety of themes (and game designers) can’t be matched. My list would be similar to yours with Colonel’s Bequest instead of Space 3 and Gabriel Knight and Quest for Glory 4 instead of Larry 3 and Police 2 (haven’t played that one).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I think my top 5 will be more to Tim’s liking. Tongue

1. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
2. Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail
3. King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
4. Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist
5. Phantasmagoria

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2015-10-23

PM

Hi My top 5 favourite sierra adventure games are

1. Kinqs Quest 6
2. Kinqs Quest 4
3. Space Quest 1
4. Police Quest 2
5. Quest for Glory 1

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Correcto-Mundo Timothy! Much to my liking.

I find it very hard to make the “best/like” distinction Advie makes. I mean if you don’t LIKE the game, who cares if it is the most technically correct game?

My top 5 in no particular order:

1. Freddy Pharkus Frontier Phamacist
My love for this game predates my friendship with Josh Mandel, so that is not an over-riding factor. Making the copy protection part of the game was pure genius. And who of us city slickers knew that beer killed snails?
2. LSL5
LSL6 was slicker, but LSL5 was the first game I did something with, other than just playing the game. I wrote the points walkthrough, and posted it on CompuServe’s TEG forum.
3. Laura Bow - Dagger of Amon Ra
Despite what Advie might say about Colonel’s Bequest, this was the first game I ever played that required deductive reasoning in addition to inventory manipulation to solve a problem.
4. GK3
I absolutely hated the 3D character modeling. And I wasn’t too fond of the aerial view requirements. But the story/plot/everything aside from those problems was the best ever. I’ve never participated in discussions with such conflicting poinst of view since.
5. KQ1
It was the first adventure I ever played. As such, it set me on a course that occasionally I wish was less travelled.

Also in the mix are Shivers 1&2 and Lighthouse. All three are, admitedly, Myst clones. But I loved them anyway.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2016 07:24 PM

Making the copy protection part of the game was pure genius.

I think the first Sierra game to do this may actually be King’s Quest 3, whose manual includes spellbook pages describing the steps for the spells you need to cast. Though I would agree that the implementation of this idea was made even better in later games like Conquests of the Longbow, with the intriguing lore and lovely art of its manual used for a variety of puzzles in the game, and Freddy Pharkas, with its delightfully old-timey Modern Day Book of Health and Hygiene used for preparing prescriptions.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2016 07:24 PM

Also in the mix are Shivers 1&2 and Lighthouse. All three are, admitedly, Myst clones. But I loved them anyway.

Shivers 1&2 are closer to 7th Guest that Myst.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That may be true, but in conversations with the Shivers people at Sierra, particularly Willie Eide. A Myst atmosphere is exactly what they were after. So I will stick with my original statement.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top