• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s Hype-O-Meter™ Reader’s Poll….. (Matching!)

Poll: Reader’s Poll for AG’s Hype-O-Meter™!
Total Votes: 58
Double Fine Adventure (working title)
Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse
Tex Murphy: Project Fedora (working title)
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Beyond: Two Souls
Moebius
SpaceVenture (working title)
Secret Files 3
Asylum
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zobraks - 03 September 2012 11:16 AM
Iznogood, a guy who uses Manny Calavera for avatar!!! - 31 August 2012 03:32 PM

I woted for Tex Murphey

Shame on you (I mean, you being obviously a GF fan)! I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone can create a better game than the author of DotT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts… Maybe Jesus Christ, but he doesn’t do AG’s (AFAIK).

Wait…you mean Chris Jones isn’t Jesus? Gasp

He’s got the same initials.. sorta

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 03 September 2012 11:44 AM

Wait…you mean Chris Jones isn’t Jesus? Gasp

The guy who made Bugs Bunny?

No, that’s not Jesus for sure.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zobraks - 03 September 2012 11:16 AM
Iznogood, a guy who uses Manny Calavera for avatar!!! - 31 August 2012 03:32 PM

I woted for Tex Murphey

Shame on you (I mean, you being obviously a GF fan)! I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone can create a better game than the author of DotT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts… Maybe Jesus Christ, but he doesn’t do AG’s (AFAIK).

You got me Zobraks - I am a big fan of GF, so obviously i should have voted for Double Fine. What was i thinking Pan

I did write i could just as well had voted for Double fine, does that make it better?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 03 September 2012 06:46 PM

You got me Zobraks - I am a big fan of GF, so obviously i should have voted for Double Fine. What was i thinking Pan

i wonder what were you thinking as well Smile
as someone who dont like FMVs in General and so i don’t really care about another Tex Murphy Game, the poll’s Results so far makes wonder what is so Special with Tex’s Games, i tried Mean Streets Long time ago (even when Sierra and Lucas Adventures were so Hard and Difficult Adventures especially comparing to all the Causal themed Adventures through the last 10 years that are spreading at like disease),Tex was terribly unfairly Hard (IMO) and i couldn’t get through the half of it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 03 September 2012 07:06 PM

the poll’s Results so far makes wonder what is so Special with Tex’s Games, i tried Mean Streets Long time ago

That’s like saying how you don’t like cars and driving ever since you took a ride in that bumper car at the amusement park when you were a kid.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

seriously Diego forget about me not Liking it, but the results Suggests that Tex Series was More Important/Better than BS,DotT,GF,SQ,GK, (just reading between the lines)!.. and By Far as well.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 03 September 2012 07:47 PM

seriously Diego forget about me not Liking it, but the results Suggests that Tex Series was More Important/Better than BS,DotT,GF,SQ,GK, (just reading between the lines)!.. and By Far as well.

No. First of all, it says that we have more information about the “Project Fedora” than the DF project. Just the plain fact that it is a Tex Murphy game gives you an idea about the games style and we are familiar with the hero anyway. This is much more information than what Tim has revealed for the DF project. I mean what is the adventure DF makes anyway? GF2? An entirely new game with new worlds and heroes? If that’s the case, how it’s going to look like? We know almost nothing about it, except from the fact (which guarantees its quality) that it is made by Tim (and Ron). It is enough to give some cash on the Kickstarter (I did anyway). Not enough to be put in the top of the most anticipated games, not until we have even the slightest amount of information about it. The more sweets you let the children see, the more hungry they get. Marketing laws. Wink
Secondly, it is a major mistake to compare extremely different adventure games like Tex Murphy with BS,SQ,DotT,GF or even GK. As for their importance in general in adventure gaming, well yes, the fact that 2 Tex games were in the top 25 makes them pretty important.
Finally, you should consider that Tex fans are waiting a lot more for a new game than the fans from all the others you mentioned (except SQ):
Last Tex game: 1998
Last BS game: 2006
Last Tim Schafer game (Stacking): 2012
Last Jane Jensen game (Grey Matter): 2011
Last SQ game: 1996

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Put it this way - if Double Fine puts out Stacking 2, I will be completely uninterested. With Tex at least I know what it’s going to be - A Tex Murphy adventure (which means it’s going to be quality). Double Fine doesn’t have a fantastic reputation as yet - I liked Psychonauts but everything else hasn’t been quite to my taste. Stacking was massively overrated in my opinion.

Besides, Chris Jones never said ‘adventure games are dead’.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

1. Tex
2. DF Adventure
3. Alt-Mind
4. Deponia 2
5. The Last/First Crown
6. Lily Looking Through
7. Moebius
8. Cognition
9. The Cave
10. Dreamfall Chapters (I know, I know…)

Plus anything by Amanita. Samorost 3?
Plus I’m dying for a good 1st-person adventure. Xing c.s. look pretty, but hardly original.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

There’s this one, also

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yep, that was the c.s. in my post. Smile Looks fine, but hardly original. I’ll probably end up buying it, just because it’s 1st-person. There was another one… don’t remember the title… with storms, rain, weather stuff, which peaked my interest.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Bracken Tor? Tongue

Amarhys, Cradle, Enola, Ether, Dream, Hope, Prominence, Reset, The Witness?  Cool

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

diego - 04 September 2012 06:27 AM

Bracken Tor? Tongue

Blacken Toll? Never heard of it.

Amarhys, Cradle, Enola, Ether, Dream, Hope, Prominence, Reset, The Witness?  Cool

Oooh! I didn’t realize there were so many 1st-person adventures in the making.  Yum

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

1. The Last Crown
2. Asylum
3. Tex Murphy: Project Fedora
4. The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
5. Stasis
6. Quest for Infamy
7. Prominence
8. Xing
9. Moebius
10. Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse (just being curious Smile)

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Another reason for Tex’s popularity could be that the last game ended on a huge cliffhanger that still needs resolving. Although my personal opinion is still that Pandora Directive is much better than any LucasArt/Sierra game, with the possible exception of Beast Within.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top