• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 09 April 2016 12:34 PM

How can I get off the ship?

We know that if we fall in the water, we drown.

Is there any way we can stop ourselves from drowning?

Maybe something on the deck can keep us afloat? We will need to be inventive here.

> go to main deck
> open water barrel
> empty water barrel
> roll water barrel
> get in water barrel

?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Main Deck
  It is a deceptively quiet evening on the ship, the pirates singing low shanties as they repair cannon, twist ropes and sharpen daggers. The mainmast casts an inky shadow over the open hatch and stairs leading down to the hold. A tangled mass of rigging hangs down from the mast, like many rope ladders woven together.
  Two large barrels stand near the stair to the foredeck.

>GET IN WATER BARREL
You can’t get into a water barrel!

>ROLL WATER BARREL
The barrel is secured to the deck.

>EMPTY WATER BARREL
And how do you propose to do that?

>OPEN WATER BARREL
It is already open.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

> pull water barrel
> tackle water barrel

Try all these with the rum barrel if nothing works.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>PULL WATER BARREL
Pulling the water barrel has no desirable effect.

>TACKLE WATER BARREL
[I don’t know the word “tackle.”]

>PULL RUM BARREL
Pulling the rum barrel doesn’t do anything.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You’re on the right track, Timovieman. But not here.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Go to Quarterdeck. Use dagger on rope.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Quarterdeck
  No torches are lit, or needed on this moonlit night, except in the deep shadows cast by the huge navigation wheel. Men move about to the fore, talking quietly. Under the stairs aft to the poop is a barred door.
  Abaft the wheel sits a large pyramid of casks, held in place by a heavy rope.
  Cannon line the deck, aimed at open sea and the island.

>CUT ROPE WITH DAGGER
The line snaps, and the pyramid collapses into dozens of tumbling casks. A large one rolls into you, stumbling you through the railing into the sea.

***  You have died   ***

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ah, yes, death…! Smile
I want one of Oscar’s prizes and it helps us pass the time, so here’s one we missed because we put out the fire.

Time passes…
Suddenly you appreciate what it is to be a ball in an exploding cannon. The intense heat, the push of fire, and the sense of release when spit from the cannon’s mouth – these you feel when the lighted fuse finally burns up to the largest keg of gunpowder in the hold.

*** You have died ***

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Is that when you wait long enough for the ship to blow on its own? How many turns does it take? I also tried soaking the rag in rum and throwing it on the fuse, and got the same death.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 12 April 2016 07:26 AM

You’re on the right track, Timovieman. But not here.

Right, the barrel cask where we got that piece of pork from.

> get in cask
> use dagger on rope

And now let’s see what hoops we’ll have to jump through to be able to cut that rope from within the cask… Tongue

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>GET IN CASK
You crawl into the cask. From this close, you can see the line is getting frayed where it rubs against the cask.

>CUT ROPE WITH DAGGER
The line snaps, and the pyramid collapses into dozens of tumbling casks. Your cask is thrust into the sea, the dagger flying from your hand.
  Sputtering mouthfuls of salt water, you first look around several minutes later.

(Part III)

Lagoon, in the cask
  You are crouched in a cask on the lagoon of St. Sinistra. The jungle looms gray-green in the light of the full moon.

>

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 12 April 2016 09:01 AM

Is that when you wait long enough for the ship to blow on its own?

Yep.

How many turns does it take?

Don’t know. Frown

I also tried soaking the rag in rum and throwing it on the fuse, and got the same death.

I didn’t think of that. You’re more ingenious than me. Maybe also a little bit more evil.  Tongue

Alright, let’s view some deaths we missed, thanks to Diego and Timovieman.

1. You enter the cask after you put out the fire but without dropping the anchor.
Cut rope with dagger
The line snaps, and the pyramid collapses into dozens of tumbling casks. Your cask is thrust into the sea, the dagger flying from your hand. The tides are against you, however, and carry you out to sea.  Days later you collapse, exhausted, to awake in the heaven on earth of a Swedish merchant marine. A midshipman, an ice-eyed blond with Viking physique and no English, nurses you back to health: in a moment of weakness you thank him in the only language all men and women share.

*** You have suffered a fate worse than death. ***

2. You have extinguished the fire but not dropped the anchor and you just hang around.
Time passes…
The sound of splintering wood reverberates through the ship as it drifts onto the reefs. The next few minutes last forever as havoc breaks out. Grabbing a plank, you manage to stay afloat, but you are washed out to sea. A brig, Portuguese by its sails, rescues you.  The sailors are brown skinned and smooth, and the first mate, the ship’s and yours, is gentle.  They leave you in Rio, alone and forgotten.

*** You have suffered a fate worse than death. ***

In case you’re wondering: The game won’t let you leave when you have dropped the anchor but not extinguished the fire. Fate of the crew etcetera… and you’re obviously soft-hearted, although it’s strange that Oscar could put the rum-soaked rag on the fire.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 12 April 2016 12:16 PM

I didn’t think of that. You’re more ingenious than me.

No.

Karlok - 12 April 2016 12:16 PM

Maybe also a little bit more evil.  Tongue

Yes. Tongue

Another death is if you take too long to climb the ladder:

>wait
Time passes…
  Your battered hands can take no more. Your grip loosens and the sea comes up to break your fall.

***  You have died   ***

My other attempts at death didn’t go so well:
>stab self with mirror
To put it bluntly, neither the bit of mirror nor you are very sharp.

And some more fun with wardrobe experimentation:

Wearing only chemise:
>look at self
You are wearing absolutely nothing besides a linen chemise, your kid slippers and a few layers of unmentionables. Mama would have been shocked.

Wearing just pants:
>look at self
You are wearing breeches over your white linen chemise. Mama would say you belonged in a brothel.

>remove chemise
But that wouldn’t be decent!

>remove slippers
But your kid slippers are so comfortable!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Get out of cask.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The current pulls you in towards the island. With a scrape, the cask lodges in the sand.

Shallows, in the cask
  You are crouched in the cask in the warm, lapping waves of the shallows. A white sand beach is west of you.
  A skiff nods in the waves, its oars jerking around in the current.

>GET OUT OF CASK
Free of your weight, the cask bobs and spins in the current, pulled out into the lagoon. You splash after it, but it is gone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top