• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 07 April 2016 08:34 AM

I’m not even sure you can get yourself into an unwinnable position, aside from doing stupid stuff like throwing items into the sea.

Hm, how about smashing the window with the coffer without opening it and getting the invitation? Haven’t tried it, but it must be a dead end. 

>I
You have a slab of pork and your reticule (hanging from your wrist). It seems that your reticule contains a cotton frock, a missive, a jewelled brooch, an invitation, smelling salts and a banknote. You are wearing a shirt, breeches, your kid slippers and a linen chemise.[/color]

X frock
X brooch

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 07 April 2016 08:45 AM
Oscar - 07 April 2016 08:34 AM

I’m not even sure you can get yourself into an unwinnable position, aside from doing stupid stuff like throwing items into the sea.

Hm, how about smashing the window with the coffer without opening it and getting the invitation? Haven’t tried it, but it must be a dead end.

That’s true. But maybe there’s another way in without the invitation? I would be impressed if that was the case!

>X FROCK
It is your favorite old frock, looking rather bedraggled without its hoops, which you hadn’t time to put on during the pirate attack. The worn fabric of the skirt often catches on things, tearing.

>X BROOCH
All diamonds winking fire, tears of sapphire and crushed rubies in an oval setting, it is a pity that the clasp of the jewelled brooch has broken. The gold pin at the back swings about uselessly.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 07 April 2016 08:54 AM

>X FROCK
It is your favorite old frock, looking rather bedraggled without its hoops, which you hadn’t time to put on during the pirate attack. The worn fabric of the skirt often catches on things, tearing.

>X BROOCH
All diamonds winking fire, tears of sapphire and crushed rubies in an oval setting, it is a pity that the clasp of the jewelled brooch has broken. The gold pin at the back swings about uselessly.

Alright, let’s break our inventory (I hope this won’t bite us in the arse later):

> take pin
> tear frock

I’ll repeat wilco’s suggestion:

> taste rum

And add a mischievous one of my own:

> push rum barrel
> push water barrel

And I think we can go >n after this. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>GET PIN
Taken.

>TEAR FROCK
You rip a large rag out of the cotton frock.

>TASTE RUM
A lady is trained to eat anything, but this is absurd.

>PUSH RUM BARREL
The barrel is secured to the deck.

>PUSH WATER BARREL
The barrel is secured to the deck.
  The reefs are definitely getting larger.

>N
Forecastle
  Higher than all but the poop deck, this end of the ship commands a good view of the island; the “crow’s nest,” swinging above in the heights of the foremast, would command a better. A tangled mass of rigging hangs down from the mast, like many rope ladders woven together.
  Imbedded in the deck is a grated air hole to the crew’s quarters below. You can go aft, or forward through a break in the ubiquitous railing.
  Odors of old grease and char waft from a little shack perched behind the mast.
  The reefs are definitely getting larger.
  You can see a mooring winch here.

>X WINCH
Made of an old barrel turning on a pole, the mooring winch is used to coil in the anchor chain. A pair of metal teeth bite the links to prevent it from dragging out; a lever is connected to the teeth. Something is written on the lever.

>X WRITING
On the lever is written “Open Up, Close Down.” You notice the lever is pointed down.

>I
You have a rag, a jewelled brooch, a slab of pork and your reticule (hanging from your wrist). It seems that your reticule contains a cotton frock, a missive, an invitation, smelling salts and a banknote. You are wearing a shirt, breeches, your kid slippers and a linen chemise.

Map is getting pretty complex. I’ve added the areas you can see from your position.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

> look crew’s quarters
> look shack
> push lever (or pull if that doesn’t work)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>LOOK THROUGH GRATE
You can see only darkness beyond the grate.

>PULL LEVER UP
The metal teeth open as you raise up the lever. The anchor, released, splashes down into the sea, dragging its clanking chain. After a moment, you feel the ship pull slightly against the current. You lower the lever to prevent any more chain from spooling out.

>X SHACK
It’s a tiny charred wooden shack. You notice an entry behind the mast.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

>n
>yell “I’m king of the world!” Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>N
You drop all you are carrying and creep out over the waves.

Bowsprit
  Hanging on the bowsprit, your arms and legs wrapped tightly around the narrow spar, you can’t see much beside an upside-down view of the figurehead of the Helena Louise, and the anchor chain descending into the swelling and breaking waves over (under?) your head.
  A stub of rope, roughly cut, swings rudely over the waves.

>YELL
Papa always says, “Action, not reaction, girl!”

>X CHAIN
It looks like every other chain you’ve ever seen.

>GET ROPE
You can’t quite reach it.

>X ROPE
There’s nothing noteworthy about the stub of rope.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s true. But maybe there’s another way in without the invitation? I would be impressed if that was the case!

There is! I found it just now. God, I love this game. So many things I missed the first time.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

BTW, this helped me:

I don’t think we can reach the rope right now.
>s

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 07 April 2016 12:45 PM

There is! I found it just now. God, I love this game. So many things I missed the first time.

Wow! Replay value.  Laughing

diego - 07 April 2016 01:54 PM

I don’t think we can reach the rope right now.
>s

Well you could but you’d probably drown afterwards Tongue

>S
Forecastle
  Higher than all but the poop deck, this end of the ship commands a good view of the island; the “crow’s nest,” swinging above in the heights of the foremast, would command a better. A tangled mass of rigging hangs down from the mast, like many rope ladders woven together.
  Imbedded in the deck is a grated air hole to the crew’s quarters below. You can go aft, or forward through a break in the ubiquitous railing.
  Odors of old grease and char waft from inside a little shack perched behind the mast.
  You can see a slab of pork, a jewelled brooch, a rag and a mooring winch here.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’ve added the Shack to the map because it was probably misleading to have a location you can enter not appear there, even though it’s technically within the Forecastle. If I’m being too easy on you, I’ll try not to do it again. It’s still confusing because you can only get in there by typing “enter shack” but can exit by going east.

And since you now know there’s a new location you will probably now want to go there.

>ENTER SHACK
Galley
  This tiny kitchen smells of old stew and yeast. A low door to starboard shows the way out.
  A dagger is driven into the wooden floorboards.
  An entirely bald man sits here, carving into his peg leg.
  The man looks you over sharply, then winks an eye. “Hullo, boy—Sam, I’ll call you. Nervous about Cap’n? He’ll come to no harm. And if there is trouble, he only has to signal from that seaward winder of the house—ye can see it from the crow’s nest—and we’ll be there in a jiffy. Me and my peg are to stay aboard and guard y—, the Cap’n's young lady.”

>GET DAGGER
Taken.

>X MAN
Cookie is a grizzled old man with a peg-leg.

>X DAGGER
The dagger is quite dull.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 07 April 2016 08:05 AM
Karlok - 07 April 2016 07:35 AM

Totally convinced but wrong.  Tongue

Darnit.

Well, actually you’re not wrong. BUT there’s this big BUT you know nothing about yet.

And we released the anchor, didn’t we. Smile You, I mean you released it.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 07 April 2016 08:21 PM

And we released the anchor, didn’t we. Smile You, I mean you released it.

Just in case. The text kept saying the reefs were getting bigger, so it did seem like we were definitely going to crash into them.

Let’s see what this does:

> Ask Cookie about himself
> Ask Cookie about leg
> Kiss Cookie
> Use dagger on Cookie

Note for later: we should definitely see what happens when we cut the rope that’s securing those casks on the poop deck.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>ASK COOKIE ABOUT HIMSELF
“‘Rodney Quick’s me name, cookin’s me game.
Lost me leg in sixty-eight, ‘tis why I bake.
Losin’ me hearin’ in every fight, but I’ve got me sight—
And come our Good Lord’s 1701, I’ll lose me life to a ruffian’s gun.’
—Old dame told me that. Leastways, I’ve several years left.”

>ASK COOKIE ABOUT LEG
[I don’t know the word “leg.”]

>KISS COOKIE
“Nah, me pretty, ye belong to Cap’n.”

>STAB COOKIE WITH DAGGER
The dagger is much too dull to cut Cookie.

TimovieMan - 08 April 2016 05:38 AM

Note for later: we should definitely see what happens when we cut the rope that’s securing those casks on the poop deck.

Why wait? Smile

>cut rope with dagger
The line snaps, and the pyramid collapses into dozens of tumbling casks. A large one rolls into you, stumbling you through the railing into the sea.

***  You have died   ***

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top