• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #8: The Last Express

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2016 07:23 AM

I can see you are your usual agreeable self!
You know you could just have written something like “I most definitely think the AG Challenge should continue”, but no, instead you once again have to turn it into a personal attack.

I see you ignored the first part of my post. And maybe you should look in the mirror every once in a while. Your tone to me is ALWAYS unpleasant.

Oh, they are most definitely interesting games, they are just not great games.
More importantly they are also games that I believe only few has played, which despite their flaws, is a pity imo.

Quoting you: Once again a game I believe only few has played, though this time rightfully so, as it really isn’t a very good adventure game. It is marred by bad translations, cringeworthy dialogue, attempts at humour that is not the slightest bit funny and some clumsy controls,

!!!!!

and ...a completely forgettable game! In fact, even though it hasn’t been that long since I played it, then I have completely forgotten what the story is all about, and can only remember some of the individual scenes. Despite this then there are however also something about the game, that saves it from being outright bad,

!!!!!

Hardly recommendations. I guess your point was to make us quit the challenge, because you mentioned that possibility twice. Or play your beloved MM2, even though it’s not really suitable for 8-10 days.

I obviously disagree - besides the 8 day rule is not cast in stone.

Oh, you’re changing the rules again, are you. Ten days max, that’s the rule. And no, we’re not going to extend it, or we’d be back at the normal community playthrough and I’m sure you remember why this Community Challenge saw the light of day in the first place. 

Of course I do.

Then why are you undermining it?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 March 2016 07:13 AM

I might get convinced to give Memento Mori 2 a chance, if others are interested, and if it’s not unreasonably long (Karlok’s comments and the times given in the Steam reviews scare me).

Well, seeing that you hate the Witness and I love it, you shouldn’t set much store by my opinion of MM2.

Iznogood - 20 March 2016 07:31 AM

It is longer than most modern games, but not really longer than Gabriel Knight 2 or Cognition, two other games played in these challenges. Besides if need be we can always add a couple of extra days to the challenge.

I don’t know about Cognition, which I didn’t finish, but MM2 is definitely much longer than GK2, as evidenced by the length of the Youtube playthroughs and the Gameboomers walkthroughs (more than twice as long).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 20 March 2016 09:03 AM

Then why are you undermining it?

In case you haven’t noticed, then I love playing adventure games, I also love to discuss them and share the experience with others - So why on earth would I want to undermine something that is about the very things I love?

The simple truth is that only very few participated in the last challenge. I’m sure that there are different reason for why different people didn’t participate, but if one of the reasons is fatigue because of the very high pace these challenges have been launched at with 8 games in 10 weeks or so, then it might actually be a better idea to take a small break instead of just continuing. But obviously that is not solely my decisions which is why I both suggested the break and three different games for the next challenge.

You don’t agree we should take a break, you don’t like the games I suggested, you don’t like the reasons for why I selected them, and you don’t like how I described the games - Fair enough, no one is forcing you to participate in the next challenge. But instead of simply stating that you are not interested in the games, and that you think taking a break is a bad idea, you once again decide to turn it a personal attack against someone you don’t like.

So who is it that is actually undermining these challenges, by being more interested in nursing old grudges than they are in the actual challenges?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2016 01:21 AM
wilco - 19 March 2016 11:03 PM

Iznogood, put up something

Mkay ... to be quite honest, with only Wilco and I participating in the last challenge, then I’m not sure whether or not there is still enough interest in these challenges, or if perhaps we should put it on hold for a month or two?

Iznogood, you did give karlok short shrift there as she was a very active 3rd participant!  Pan 

My thought is that these Adventure Game Challenges give a freer & more spontaneous opportunity to play a game along with someone else & I don’t think it matters that there’s only 1 or 2 other participants! Also, as it’s a long process to get the next AGCP organised it’s a nice alternative to ‘keep things rolling’!

I’ve failed myself to keep up with these 8-day challenges & still have Shadow of the Comet which I’d like to finish but have such limited time to play just lately! Also I’m away for a few days over Easter so can’t commit to even thinking about participating in the next challenge otherwise I would have been interested in your suggestions of Jack Keane 2 (as I liked the 1st game!), or replaying MM2 but that is a very long game! – the 1st time I played it took me over 21 hours so possibly more suited to an AGCPT? – I’d vote for it!  Smile If no-one else is interested in the games you’ve proposed perhaps you can either present some other choices or ask for suggestions? Smile 

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ll play whatever of those options, never played any of them.

Karlok - 20 March 2016 06:54 AM

The Witness is one of the most rewarding and well-designed games ever. It took me quite a while to really get into it though. You are much smarter than I am, so don’t give up.

I’m enjoying the game. I’ve been playing on and off since the release, decided not to read anything on the game. Not even seeing the official thread, trying to avoid all hints or possible spoilers. Sometimes it’s frustrating but when I get those little breakthroughs… so good! But when I’m stuck for a while I just put it aside for some time.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im still slowly chugging along with TLE, but life happens Tongue
I like the challenges, i prefer to play games in shorter bursts, it just doesnt always work out that way.
As for the witness: it is both brilliant and exhausting.. its just not my preferred style of gameplay.
As for the nominated games: they are all sequels to games i havnt played through their originals, so i *probably* wouldnt attempt them. (i played part of the first memento mori once and had mixed feelings). But i remain open to attempting challenges Tongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2016 12:03 PM

In case you haven’t noticed [...]

Snippety snip.

Iznogood, this is the third time you’ve mentioned the option of taking a break. Nobody else has expressed a wish to stop the challenges. By all means, take a break if participating in one challenge proved too much for you.

wilco - 20 March 2016 05:12 PM

I’m enjoying the game. I’ve been playing on and off since the release, decided not to read anything on the game. Not even seeing the official thread, trying to avoid all hints or possible spoilers. Sometimes it’s frustrating but when I get those little breakthroughs… so good! But when I’m stuck for a while I just put it aside for some time.

I’m not going to give hints, don’t worry. But I do hope you will visit the reddit witness subforum once you’re done with the game. There’s so much to notice on the island and I learned a lot afterwards from this remarkably good subforum. The Steam forums are not nearly as good. Giant Bomb had some very interesting threads as well.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The one who won the challenge HAS to set the next challenge! That’s the rule. Smile The challenge continues! The challenges must go on! We will prevail! Challenges are the boss of you!!!

(no, really, I love how everyone is “testing the ground” before the new challenge, seeing who is interested in a game etc, and that’s smart and totally not against the rule, but really - there’s nothing to be afraid that the challenge will “fail” - simply set the game you wanted to play anyway, and play the challenge with yourself (or don’t). If you get one or two comments, it’s all gain.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 20 March 2016 07:01 PM

simply set the game you wanted to play anyway, and play the challenge with yourself (or don’t). If you get one or two comments, it’s all gain.)

Yeah, that’s the spirit! Play against yourself and you will always win and then you can set the next challenge as well! Next time I win I’m going to suggest The Witness.  Innocent

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

could i interrupt,

i think these choices Izno made brought out the worst of the possibility of a righteous challenge, if and only based on the challenger taste and mood without (IMO) consideration for the common taste and popularity of those games.

if i have the hand and i am going to challenge other posters to play (I.E) LSL2 which has the worst idea of deaths at all adventure gaming, so; basically i do have the right to present whatever i want, but here lies a paradox of being righteous and being selfish, as if me saying “yea yea this game has all those annoying deaths you can imagine and might already read about, But HEY! you dont know what are you missing”.

so when one winner decides the next game, whatever he/she determines going to be righteous, right?, but bottomline its all that for just one reason; that he/she sees it that way; deserved but nuthin else.

i myself think, that SF3 and JK2 are too bad choices as if you havent got other 100s adventures you are more surely positive they are into the other gamers/poster more interest and taste.
so how flawed could this be a case of being righteous and unfair at the same time.

all respect for you Choices Izno, i am saying this straight from the heart withOUT any kind of agenda Laughing

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 20 March 2016 06:55 PM

I’m not going to give hints, don’t worry. But I do hope you will visit the reddit witness subforum once you’re done with the game. There’s so much to notice on the island and I learned a lot afterwards from this remarkably good subforum. The Steam forums are not nearly as good. Giant Bomb had some very interesting threads as well.

Thanks, I’ll look into it later. The game does seem to have a lot in the hiding. Yesterday I literally stared at the same puzzle for 2 hours, but finally had a breakthrough, such a good feeling having those yellow boxes open.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zane - 20 March 2016 06:42 PM

As for the nominated games: they are all sequels to games i havnt played through their originals, so i *probably* wouldnt attempt them. (i played part of the first memento mori once and had mixed feelings). But i remain open to attempting challenges Tongue

I wouldn’t worry about them being sequels. If you plan to play the whole series then it is of course better to play them in the correct order, but they are all independent stories, so it is not a requirement that you have played the first games.

As for Memento Mori then no. 1 and 2 are two very different games. There are some similarities in the stories, but the whole gameplay is entirely different - And MM2 is classes better than MM1.

The one who won the challenge HAS to set the next challenge! That’s the rule. Smile The challenge continues! The challenges must go on! We will prevail! Challenges are the boss of you!!!

I guess I should just have posted the next challenge without asking peoples opinion first, it would certainly had saved me a lot of trouble and anguish - I guess you learn something new everyday.

Anyway I will post the next challenge later today.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 21 March 2016 08:53 AM

And MM2 is classes better than MM1.

That’s a matter of opinion. IMO the first one is better. 

I guess I should just have posted the next challenge without asking peoples opinion first,

Apparently the purpose and rules of the Community Challenge were not as clear to you as they should have been.

it would certainly had saved me a lot of trouble and anguish - I guess you learn something new everyday.

Gee, anguish, really…? Did you actually experience excruciating pain and/or intense suffering? Or was it a minor annoyance and did you choose the word anguish to make it look like a serious injury?

Anyway I will post the next challenge later today.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2016 01:21 AM

2) Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within

Once again a game I believe only few has played, though this time rightfully so, as it really isn’t a very good adventure game.

It is marred by bad translations, cringeworthy dialogue, attempts at humour that is not the slightest bit funny and some clumsy controls, despite this there are however also some qualities to the game that makes it worth playing. It does have an overall intriguing and interesting story, there are individual scenes that are almost brilliant and many (but not all) of the puzzles are also quite good.

I guess the challenge here would be to be able to overlook all the flaws, and instead focus on the positive aspects of the game, of which there actually are quite a few.

I wouldn’t mind playing Jack Keane, I liked the first game and I’m enough of a completionist to want to play the sequel (and I love the Ankh games). I’d probably play it in German though if the translation is this bad…

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

(no, really, I love how everyone is “testing the ground” before the new challenge, seeing who is interested in a game etc, and that’s smart and totally not against the rule, but really - there’s nothing to be afraid that the challenge will “fail” - simply set the game you wanted to play anyway, and play the challenge with yourself (or don’t). If you get one or two comments, it’s all gain.)

diego, I really love the idea of these challenges but I have to disagree with just playing yourself if no-one else is interested as I don’t see the point - most of us do that all the time so it just seems like a nice opportunity for at least 1 other person to play the game too! (but the more the merrier! ) So although it’s not open to vote, testing the ground to see who’s interested in the game seems like a good move but there‘s still the option to ‘play on your own’ following lack of interest if you want to.

Advie - 20 March 2016 08:25 PM

i think these choices Izno made brought out the worst of the possibility of a righteous challenge, if and only based on the challenger taste and mood without (IMO) consideration for the common taste and popularity of those games…......

......all respect for you Choices Izno, i am saying this straight from the heart withOUT any kind of agenda Laughing

I’m sorry Advie, but you’re not respecting at all as you’ve criticised Iznogood’s choices!  Pan 
I think it’s a positive thing that not always the most popular/appealing games are presented & you can choose to participate or not!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top