• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #8: The Last Express

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 March 2016 05:54 PM

I took a sneak peek of the thread but will be leaving it to the end, lots of good stuff to read.

Just read Kurufinwe and Vel’s comments and skip the rest. Seriously, the rest is not worth reading. Some idiot ruined the playthrough.

I’ve reached the concert part. Kept restarting it multiple times until I’ve done something and finally got inside Anna chamber and got the master key. Good thing I’m now completely aware where everybody is staying…

You didn’t find the passenger list? It’s in the book one of the conductors is reading. There’s also a timetable to be found early in the game. But it’s too late now. Maybe there’s another one in the baggage car, not sure.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 13 March 2016 07:19 PM

You didn’t find the passenger list? It’s in the book one of the conductors is reading. There’s also a timetable to be found early in the game. But it’s too late now. Maybe there’s another one in the baggage car, not sure.

I did find the passenger list but only recently, I had already mapped out the train. It does give some insights into each passenger so its still useful.

A question, I can start another game changing the color of the egg in menu and then get back to the main game, right?
I remember reading a note at beginning in a book in the dining table that I think the russian revolutionary left there. I didn’t took note of the hour or date.

Anyway, I just walked back into the concert with a briefcase full of gold from the room of the prince (like a boss). The look in everybodies face Tongue . I’m guessing this might bite me in the future.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 March 2016 07:56 PM

A question, I can start another game changing the color of the egg in menu and then get back to the main game, right?

Not sure I understand. Change the color of the egg and you’ll start a new game. If you want to experiment at some point in the game without losing your progress, you can follow Kurufinwe’s advice in the community playthrough: copy the relevant egg file in the TLE folder to an empty egg file, so you have two saves.

I remember reading a note at beginning in a book in the dining table that I think the russian revolutionary left there. I didn’t took note of the hour or date.

It’s a timetable with a specific hour marked.

Anyway, I just walked back into the concert with a briefcase full of gold from the room of the prince (like a boss). The look in everybodies face Tongue . I’m guessing this might bite me in the future.

Of course.  You’ll have to outsmart everybody or you’re a dead man.  Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 13 March 2016 08:04 PM
wilco - 13 March 2016 07:56 PM

Not sure I understand. Change the color of the egg and you’ll start a new game. If you want to experiment at some point in the game without losing your progress, you can follow Kurufinwe’s advice in the community playthrough: copy the relevant egg file in the TLE folder to an empty egg file, so you have two saves.

Yes, got it. Thanks.

I have to say the animations are a bit jarring with all the big jumps but I do really like how expressive the faces are, achieves some little nice details like the look every passenger gives when you are crossing them in the corridors

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Damn, what a sequence, I can see why you didn’t put the game down iznogood Smile

So after the concert, I’ve returned the gold (not sure what happened there but it seemed to work…) then I found the weapons in the carriage where Anna and I fighted a Serbian, than founf out about a bomb I’ve dismantled a bomb (awesome sequence but I did sneak peeked at a walkthrough because of the telegram…), after that I chased Anna until well, the romance part was started, but then the the Serbs took over the train  and cutted in Angry !!!
And to close the sequence I fought a couple of them above the train to save everybody. Cath is a superhero

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished the game now, I bit underwhelmed that after the sequence above the ending arrives so fast. I mean Budapeste, Belgrade and Constantinopole just fly by. Unless I skipped stuff and didn’t noticed it.

The ending is excellent, I did get the dog in the end Foot in mouth
The credits were pretty original, nice detail showing the map of Europe through the years (this is the one you were talking about, Karlok? I played the gog version).

Iznogood - 12 March 2016 07:32 AM

The fact that there also are many paths through the game, and you won’t get the full story / don’t need to do everything in a single playthrough, also adds to the charm of the game. I for example never understood / missed large parts of the whole Firebird story, which made the ending a quite a bit confusing.

This was a my experience as well, the Firebird story was confusing, maybe I should have paid more attention to the the documents in the prince room

About the gameplay, real-time aspect was the feature I was most interested in and it didn’t disappoint.
The player does feel like part of a story that is happening around him and not just a bunch of NPCs just hanging around waiting for an invisible trigger.
It is a bit rough because it’s old, and being a small space feels constritive, it looks like a first try in a formula that could have been improved but died because it probably didn’t have success. But most of it works very well, the rewind mechanic has to be used a lot but most of times for small rewinds.
It helps a lot that the game is so well written, all the characters and their interactions.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 14 March 2016 06:57 PM

The ending is excellent,

Most adventure games have weak, uninteresting, uninspired endings. This one is outstanding. The ships that pass in the night, the firebird casting its shadow over Europe, the hope that the war will be over in a few months, the impressive credits. It’s the one ending that brought me close to tears.

The credits were pretty original, nice detail showing the map of Europe through the years (this is the one you were talking about, Karlok? I played the gog version).

Yes.

This was a my experience as well, the Firebird story was confusing, maybe I should have paid more attention to the the documents in the prince room

Yes, there’s a book that explains it.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

So, erm… What’s next?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood, put up something, I don’t know what to play Smile (other than feeling dumb in Witness…)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 19 March 2016 11:03 PM

Iznogood, put up something

Mkay ... to be quite honest, with only Wilco and I participating in the last challenge, then I’m not sure whether or not there is still enough interest in these challenges, or if perhaps we should put it on hold for a month or two?

But if there are enough interested, then I have three games in mind which I believe should provide a real challenge Naughty

1) Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality

MM2 is unquestionable, undeniable and indisputable one of the best ... nay ... The Best Adventure Game released within the last 10 years!
It is unfortunately also I believe a game that has been overlooked by many, perhaps because of the somewhat mediocre first game in the series, and some (unfairly) mixed reviews (seriously, you would think that some reviewers simply don’t like adventure games).

It is also unquestionable one of the most difficult games released in the last 10 years, so finishing it within the normal time-frame should provide a real challenge.

The next two games I have in mind, is unquestionable, undeniable and indisputable NOT among the best games released in the last decade.

2) Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within

Once again a game I believe only few has played, though this time rightfully so, as it really isn’t a very good adventure game.

It is marred by bad translations, cringeworthy dialogue, attempts at humour that is not the slightest bit funny and some clumsy controls, despite this there are however also some qualities to the game that makes it worth playing. It does have an overall intriguing and interesting story, there are individual scenes that are almost brilliant and many (but not all) of the puzzles are also quite good.

I guess the challenge here would be to be able to overlook all the flaws, and instead focus on the positive aspects of the game, of which there actually are quite a few.

3) Secret Files 3

Another game that I believe only few has actually played, and once again with good reason.

Not exactly a bad game as I remember it, but also a completely forgettable game!
In fact, even though it hasn’t been that long since I played it, then I have completely forgotten what the story is all about, and can only remember some of the individual scenes.

Despite this then there are however also something about the game, that saves it from being outright bad, and intrigued me enough to not only complete the game, but also to make it pop up in my mind when thinking about a suitable game for this challenge.

Not as bad as Jack Keane at its worse, but also not as good at its best.

So, anyone interested, or should we put it on hold?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2016 01:21 AM

Mkay ... to be quite honest, with only Wilco and I participating in the last challenge,

Heh. Very funny.

I have replayed TLE so many times that I can finish it in one sitting. And I did.

then I’m not sure whether or not there is still enough interest in these challenges, or if perhaps we should put it on hold for a month or two?

We’re certainly not putting anything on hold just because you want us to. If nobody feels like playing your three games, we can find a more suitable game. And why are you suggesting two games that you tell us are not in the least bit interesting? The third one may be better in your opinion (I didn’t like it much), but it’s not suitable to be finished in 8 days. Do you understand the purpose of this challenge, I wonder.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 19 March 2016 11:03 PM

...(other than feeling dumb in Witness…)

The Witness is one of the most rewarding and well-designed games ever. It took me quite a while to really get into it though. You are much smarter than I am, so don’t give up.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I might get convinced to give Memento Mori 2 a chance, if others are interested, and if it’s not unreasonably long (Karlok’s comments and the times given in the Steam reviews scare me).

There’s no way I’m getting anywhere near the other two. Life’s too short for bad games.

(Speaking of which, free second opinion for wilco: I found The Witness to be a tedious, joyless slog, and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I can see you are your usual agreeable self!
You know you could just have written something like “I most definitely think the AG Challenge should continue”, but no, instead you once again have to turn it into a personal attack.

Karlok - 20 March 2016 06:10 AM

And why are you suggesting two games that you tell us are not in the least bit interesting?

Oh, they are most definitely interesting games, they are just not great games.
More importantly they are also games that I believe only few has played, which despite their flaws, is a pity imo.

The third one may be better in your opinion (I didn’t like it much), but it’s not suitable to be finished in 8 days.

I obviously disagree - besides the 8 day rule is not cast in stone.

Do you understand the purpose of this challenge, I wonder.

Of course I do.

Can you actually write a single paragraph without implying that anybody that disagrees with you is a complete idiot, I wonder.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 March 2016 07:13 AM

I might get convinced to give Memento Mori 2 a chance, if others are interested, and if it’s not unreasonably long (Karlok’s comments and the times given in the Steam reviews scare me).

It is longer than most modern games, but not really longer than Gabriel Knight 2 or Cognition, two other games played in these challenges. Besides if need be we can always add a couple of extra days to the challenge.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top