• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #8: The Last Express

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2016 05:10 AM

The main problem I have is that there is no subtitles on the spoken English,

Yeah, that’s a concern for me too.

Haven’t tested it yet (still not sure if I’ll be able to participate in the challenge), but I found this: http://www.gog.com/forum/the_last_express/any_way_to_get_subtitles
Someone posted a download link for the engsub, and it’s still active.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Thanks, I have only briefly tested it, but it seems to work.

Anyway I was stuck for the longest time / had reached a dead end between Munich and Vienna.
I had gotten the invitation to the concert, but when I showed up at the appointed time the room was simply empty, and no matter what I did then I simply couldn’t do anything I hadn’t already done. Instead I was just aimlessly walking up and down the same corridors for hours with absolutely nothing new happening, until I finally got an end-game in Vienna.

Auto rewind also didn’t help one bit, and only left me walking the same empty corridors once again Meh

But after rewinding several hours back, I suddenly managed to trigger all sorts of new things and finally it seems like I’m back on track, and can actually attend the concert now.

Not really sure what to make of the game so far. It has an interesting concept and is intriguing enough to have kept me playing so far, even when wasting hours on a dead end. But the fact that it is also so very easy to miss important story triggers, and having to replay large parts of the game, in order to get back on track, is not something that I will count as positive.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 11 March 2016 03:16 AM
rtrooney - 10 March 2016 09:30 PM

Not sure, but is it the intent of these eight-day “Flash Mob” play throughs to put all the other play throughs out of business? Sure seems that way.

Chrissie is pretty much the only person who’s a (semi-)regular in both these challenges and the casual playthroughs. So, no, it doesn’t seem that way at all.

Tim, yes, Kurufinwe I feel has perceived the situation correctly!

There is NO competition! & just more choice which I think is great!!!

The CPT, 8-day challenge & CGCP present different choices - the CPT offers the opportunity to play through a game with other members in a structured way over at least weeks, the 8-day challenge a chance to play an alternative game at your own pace with the opportunity to be the 1st to finish it within the 8 days to be able to choose the next game (I haven’t managed it yet!) & the CGPT I feel that within my limited time to play to concentrate when I’m tired presents a lighter option that can be played alongside for me with either the CPT or the 8-day challenge! 

I don’t join in with either all of the CPTs or the 8-day challenges & indeed some of the CCPTs but I don’t see a problem with having those different options as you just choose to play what rocks your boat at the time i.e. I’m not going to play a game I don’t want to or am not in the mood for anyway even if there is not another choice!  Smile

And sometimes you’d dearly like to take part in a ‘community’ challenge/playthrough & know you just don’t have the time as I’d like to play TLE again!  Cry

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ok, I’ve played until Epernay.

Game is so overwhelming at first! But I think I’m kind of starting to understand how it goes.
Lady in red is killing em
- Can I sit down?
- I think you’ll find someplace else

- I think we’ve met you before
- I’m sure we did, I probably forgot already

- You haven’t told me your name,..
Cold stare

Stop embarassing yourself, Cath, you have no game Tongue

Poor Fançois “I’ve seem the body be thrown” - “Shut up, François!”

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And I’m done, I’ve reached the end of the game Wink

Now many of you are probably thinking “well that was fast”, but a touch of insomnia has allowed me to play this in two marathon sittings, with little sleep in between ... Okay I also have to admit that I kind of cheated and consulted a walkthrough on several occasions Confused

I really would have like to have completed it on my own, and I did put in quite an effort to use the walkthrough as little as possible. The problem was however that I constantly kept missing important trigger events, which not only led to countless deaths, false game-overs and auto-rewind, which is fair enough, but also kept leading to dead-ends where no progress could any longer be made, and the only option (I could find) was to manually rewind several hours, and then replay rather large sections.

And even though I didn’t mind replaying large sections, then I also wanted to make sure that I only had to do it once per section, so I used a walkthrough to make sure I knew what I had done wrong / missed, so I didn’t kept reaching the same dead-ends over and over again.

To me it seems like the whole design philosophy behind this game, is very much based on the manual rewind. That you are suppose to always screw up on your first attempt, and then use the experience you gain from you mistakes, to get it right on a second or third attempt - Or perhaps it was just me that kept missing key trigger events?

Either way, one trick I did learn, perhaps a bit too late, was to write down the time codes whenever I triggered key events or found something important, and then rewind to these good-saves whenever I got stuck, and try something different.

Apart from this, the game grew on me the longer I played it.

The whole idea of having each of the NPC’s being controlled by an AI, and going about their business regardless of whether you are there to witness / trigger it or not, is a brilliant idea that adds a lot of atmosphere to the game (though I suspect also the reason for the dead-ends).

The whole eve of WW1 theme with all the political / historical implications, and the setting on the orient-express also works very well. Though in some ways I think that they kind of overdid it, and that it would have benefited from a bit more focus instead of bringing every single conflict at the time into the game. I mean pretty much every single passenger on the train is either an agent from some of the major nations or rebel organisations, general villains or in some other way mixed into the whole political situation.

The fact that there also are many paths through the game, and you won’t get the full story / don’t need to do everything in a single playthrough, also adds to the charm of the game. I for example never understood / missed large parts of the whole Firebird story, which made the ending a quite a bit confusing.

Even the rewind idea is not bad, though I kind of think it relied too much on this.

All in all, once I had gotten used to the game, and understood how to actually play it, I quite liked it. I am even contemplating starting a second playthrough, to find the things I missed, and perhaps even intentionally screw up in other ways.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, that was fast! Congratulations iznogood!

Does seem like a game good for a marathon playthrough session. Will be diving into into it today and tommorrow. Also starting to write things down.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That stratsbourg nightmare sequence also got me.

I seem to have hit a bug maybe, in the first night something happens to the Count because his daughther is thanking in the morning for the help but I did nothing, maybe I should have done something?
I ask because the conductor said he lost the master key in the event and I got nothing, should I have the key by now?
I just arrived Munich.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 13 March 2016 07:46 AM

I seem to have hit a bug maybe, in the first night something happens to the Count because his daughther is thanking in the morning for the help but I did nothing, maybe I should have done something?

Perhaps you should have, but I don’t think it is critical, even though it is an important scene you have missed.

I believe there are quite a few moments, where the game will assume that you have done or witnessed something, even if you haven’t. More a case of not being able to keep track of all possibilities I believe, than an outright bug. 

I ask because the conductor said he lost the master key in the event and I got nothing, should I have the key by now?

I wouldn’t worry about that part - you are not the only one on the train with an agenda Wink

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You mean you went back to sleep after your nightmare? Why didn’t you go see what all the commotion was about? 

No, but now you know someone else has got it.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I guess it’s time for a rewind

Karlok - 13 March 2016 08:47 AM

You mean you went back to sleep after your nightmare? Why didn’t you go see what all the commotion was about? 

I was in Anna’s chamber having a gun pointed at me when it started, I tried to do other stuff

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 March 2016 09:16 AM

I was in Anna’s chamber having a gun pointed at me when it started, I tried to do other stuff

I’ve never tried other stuff instead, but I’m going to now! Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

So I tried to do something else instead of going to the Count, but there’s nothing to do.

Quote of the Day: Mr Whitney is well-known as a champion of freedom and justice in countries other than his own. (August Schmidt to Anna Wolff) 

Laughing

If Schmidt introduced you to Anna Wolff, you can talk to her in the smoking car after dinner. In case he has not, here’s the dialogue.

Robert: Are you reading about Madame Cailleaux?
Anna: Have you read it?
Robert: Just a guess. It was either that or Rasputin, they don’t seem to write about anything else.
Anna: Don’t you care about Rasputin?
Robert: Sure I do. I like him. Just when you think he’s dead, he pops back up again.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 13 March 2016 12:38 PM

So I tried to do something else instead of going to the Count, but there’s nothing to do.

That’s true, just a lot of running in the corridor.

I went back and did the right thing, Cath hypnotized the old man back to sleep. It did change things later because the daughter didn’t volunteer to tranlate the fairy tale the first time.

Now I’m back in Munich, but now with a cockroach. Smile

This game is kind of stressful, every time I’m not watching something it feels like I’m doing something wrong, but I’m enjoying it.

Also, am I the only one that keeps going into bathrooms by mistake?!? I can’t tell 2 doors apart…

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 13 March 2016 12:52 PM

Also, am I the only one that keeps going into bathrooms by mistake?!? I can’t tell 2 doors apart…

No I also did that quite a few times.

Anyway, I just read through the original Community Playthrough of the game, and there was a lot of interesting comments, though too necromantic to comment on now. But there were also some references to things I never experienced in the game myself, or at least things that I didn’t notice.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 13 March 2016 03:01 PM

Anyway, I just read through the original Community Playthrough of the game, and there was a lot of interesting comments, though too necromantic to comment on now. But there were also some references to things I never experienced in the game myself, or at least things that I didn’t notice.

I took a sneak peek of the thread but will be leaving it to the end, lots of good stuff to read.

I’ve reached the concert part. Kept restarting it multiple times until I’ve done something and finally got inside Anna chamber and got the master key. Good thing I’m now completely aware where everybody is staying…

Kind of annoying that when you are reading documents time keeps moving and you can’t really keep copies of them. Makes me feel like I miss stuff that way.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top