• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dear Esther

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

So what does everyone think - was the island a real place, a metaphor for the narrator’s mind, or for his body? Was he in a coma, and if so, why? What caused the car accident? Who are Donnelly and Jakobsen, as opposed to Esther and Paul - are they somehow the same, even though the former two were said to be from the 18th century? What was Paul’s fate?
I like that the meaning of the game is left open to interpretation, but I would have liked it more if the possibilities were narrowed down a little bit, so there was more of a chance for gamers to draw the same or similar conclusions about what “really” happened. As it is, so many people have so many vastly differing opinions.

What was your interpretation of what was going on in this game?

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Kurufinwe - 13 June 2012 02:30 PM
J-Boo - 13 June 2012 02:24 PM

BTW, how do I find the forums on Steam?

In the Steam client, go to your library and to the detailed page for the game. There should be a column on the right called LINKS with a link to the specific Steam forums.

Or go there and have fun wading through the huge list of games at the middle of the page.

Or just go straight there:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1346

Smile

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

J-Boo - 18 June 2012 03:53 PM

What was your interpretation of what was going on in this game?

My interpretation varies a little each time I play the game (and watching walkthroughs on YouTube is also quite an eye-opener at times) but overall I’d say that the narrator lost his pregnant loved one in a car crash and he initially blamed the crash on a drunk driver (perhaps Paul) or maybe brake failure - after a long time he came to realise that it was just a coincidence and that such things often ‘just happen’. The island was a real place at some time in the past, but in Dear Esther it was all in his mind, perhaps a form of purgatory.

More interpretations here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2561042

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Spoilers?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Sorry about that, meant to enclose it in spoiler space then when I tried just now it wouldn’t let me spoiler space all of it, so had to delete some.

Argh.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

@J-Boo. Dear Esther grabbed me right from the start. I never felt bored, not for a moment. The first time I played it I was soaking up the atmosphere, mesmerized by the island, the music, the voice of the narrator, the blinking red light. Those beautiful caves with the crazy writings on the walls which came as a shock to me, and that really powerful underwater scene with the two cars! The entire game was a very emotional experience for me, especially the last part, climbing the rocks to the aerial in the howling wind, knowing what would happen up there and dreading it.

After my first playthrough I tried to make sense of the narrator’s disjointed story. I gave up when he started contradicting himself. At first I was disappointed and frustrated. Surely, all these little factual details about how he stole the Donnelly book from a library in Edinburgh, how he went to see Paul in the outskirts of Wolverhampton, how the crash took place at the Sanford junction, should add up to something. But they don’t. Not unless you start fantasizing and make up a story of your own. There was a car crash. Esther is dead. The narrator is going to die too. As far as facts go, that’s all we know really. Who drove the car, who were in it, who was responsible for the crash… ? The developers took great care to keep us confused (those feverish ramblings in part 3 and 4!) and gave words more than one meaning.**

I like that I can find my own symbolic meanings and have personal associations. I don’t know what the developers had in mind when they etched those white horizontal lines in the rocks, but they made me think of the horizontal lines on a life support machine (with a blinking red light… sending signals to the mainland, “where help will be sent”) when someone dies. The quote from Acts 22 “a light from heaven shone around him and he fell to the ground” can be taken literally of course, but the biblical Paul/Damascus theme is about transformation and death is the final transformation. 

So in the end I feel most comfortable with the interpretation that we’re witnessing someone’s last hours or minutes in an ambulance or hospital. For me, Dear Esther is simply about death, including my own death one day, and the lonely act of leaving this world.

**Both a strength and a weakness. It’s as if a word like “twenty-one” takes on a mysterious meaning, becomes a symbol of something just because it’s repeated so often. 

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Dear Esther is available for FREE this weekend (August 25th and 26th) via OnLive:

http://blog.onlive.com/

Grab it while you can (although I have to say that it’s extremely worthy of a purchase if you miss this offer). Smile

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

Irongiant909 - 25 August 2012 10:06 AM

Dear Esther is available for FREE this weekend (August 25th and 26th) via OnLive:

http://blog.onlive.com/

Grab it while you can (although I have to say that it’s extremely worthy of a purchase if you miss this offer). Smile

I dont really like Onlive so I am gona skip it for now and get it later on Steam.

Now Playing:Zork Nemesis,Dragon Age GOTY,DOTA 2,Alter Ego
Next In Line:Tex Murphy:Under a Killing Moon,Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive,Tex Murphy:Overseer,Fallout 1,2&Tactics;
Recently Finished:Runaway 1&2,Barrow Hill,Legend of Grimrock
Looking Forward To:The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle,Bioshock Infinite,Amnesia:A Machine For Pigs

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Fair enough.

For anyone that doesn’t like Steam and DRM, you can also buy it from dear-esther.com Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Irongiant909 - 25 August 2012 01:54 PM

Fair enough.

For anyone that doesn’t like Steam and DRM, you can also buy it from dear-esther.com Smile

Comparing steam to DRM in general is getting old. -_-

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Fien - 20 June 2012 06:03 AM

So in the end I feel most comfortable with the interpretation that we’re witnessing someone’s last hours or minutes in an ambulance or hospital. For me, Dear Esther is simply about death, including my own death one day, and the lonely act of leaving this world.

Somehow I missed the post until now. Thanks for your response.

I guess even though it’s a bit frustrating to me that there may be no “straight” story, Dear Esther is undeniably beautiful, emotional, and very moving!

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

wow.

i’m not a big fan of interactive movies but i’ll give credit to this one. i tried not to listen to all this “too short, not a game” comments and felt completely satisfied when I finished it. maybe the main problem is people’s expectation. if you expect to play a good old school adventure game, well, you won’t cause it’s obvious that this is not an adventure game. but saying this is not a game at all is just wrong. i felt the thrill and emotion i feel when I play any good game. there is no freedom in movement but there is a lot of freedom in interpretation. first i hated the slow walking but then I saw that this pace suited the game mood really well and helped your only objective - observation and exploration. and, yeah, not to mention, this game is gorgeous. even if it was only a silly “virtual museum simulation” i’d still praise it for it’s beauty. the cave chapter just blew my mind. i liked the interactive drawing comparison. for me, it was like playing a dream.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I learned today (thanks to Advie’s 2013-adventures thread) that there will be a “natural follow-on to Dear Esther”: Everybody’s Gone to the RaptureThumbs Up  Cool

See http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/rapture.html

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Yup, really looking forward to that - also described as the “spiritual successor’ to Dear Esther:

http://beefjack.com/features/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-preview-interview-screenshots/

Probably not released until late 2013 though (thechineseroom have to finish ‘Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs’ first. Smile

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Thanks! Hoping it will turn out as great as it sounds. Smile

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top