• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #7: Primordia

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Congrats wilco!
I have no hope finishing of this one in time, as what little free time iv had has been mercilessly consumed by the new deponia Tongue

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 06 March 2016 05:18 PM

Saw a different ending

Oh, did you see (as just see) or played the all the multiple endings?
Three they were (or four) i don’t remember ?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 07 March 2016 12:44 PM
wilco - 06 March 2016 05:18 PM

Saw a different ending

Oh, did you see (as just see) or played the all the multiple endings?
Three they were (or four) i don’t remember ?

I played, but there’s not much to play differently since only the small changes at the very end seem to make a difference.
I saw 2 very similar Got back to see the ship but in one of them I saved Clarity
In the other I I went up to the radio and destroyed everybody

Not sure if there are more

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Aha!.
i was only asking because i literally only saw the other ending after finishing the game (back then when i 1st played it, as i am still lagging behind this challenge Wink, on youtube, but with your high standards of a hardcore adventure gamer*, i am not surprised to see you have loaded a saved game and went through it (the ending) again.
and Congrats for winning the challenge, wilco   Thumbs Up

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not about high standards here, I just went for the other endings because I had saved at the last room and knew it was very fast. Because if I have to replay part of the game I usually just check the other endings on youtube Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Challenge complete! I’ll post some thoughts about the game tomorrow.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

So, I finished the game last night.

Overall, I liked it. The world was particularly interesting and rich, with some clever ideas about how a robotic, post-human society would work. The story was fine, if pretty predictable.

(By the way, I had forgotten just how much of the story you can miss if you don’t deal with Goliath properly at the beginning of the game. I mean, you don’t learn about your full back-story, about Metromind killing the humans, and you lose access to 2 of the endings. That’s a pretty harsh penalty for screwing up that one puzzle early on…)

As on my first playthrough, I wasn’t fond of the puzzle design in Metropol. I’d like to see the puzzle dependency chart for that: it must be a complete mess. It seems to be a standard string-of-pearls structure, with independent objectives that you can work on in any order (first the robots in front of the courthouse, then the pieces of the code), but you often need to make some progress on one objective before you can move on with another one—and you can start doing some stuff for the code before you gain access to the courthouse. And then, on top of that, there’s the optional stuff to make friends with all the robots.

As a consequence, it ends up feeling like you’re constantly working on 8 separate objectives, with no clear notion of which one any given puzzle or action is connected to. It found it a bit messy and frustrating.

Still, I enjoyed the game overall, and I’m glad I didn’t wait for years before replaying it.

By the way: What was up with the sad robot waiting for the bus? Why did the location and character even exist? (I guess I should have played with the dev commentary to find out…)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 08 March 2016 09:14 AM

By the way: What was up with the sad robot waiting for the bus? Why did the location and character even exist? (I guess I should have played with the dev commentary to find out…)

Good question, no idea about that one. Easter egg?
Also some items in the inventory were not used. I remember the LP record and think another one.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Challange completed!

Wow, so many endings. Gasp 8, right? Although 3 are similar. Only found half of them, and checked a walkthrough for the others.
I feel bad I didn’t realize on my own that I can [spoiler]pick up Crispin’s matrix Frown, because that was the ending I more or less expected to see. Horatio misled me with his “There’s nothing I can do for him” comment. Pan[spoiler]

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Congratulations cirroid! Just in time.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 08 March 2016 10:12 AM
Kurufinwe - 08 March 2016 09:14 AM

Good question, no idea about that one. Easter egg?
Also some items in the inventory were not used. I remember the LP record and think another one.

OK, this was bugging me, so I went back and turned on the commentary. Turns out that someone on the team liked how older games (especially Sierra games) would have rooms that served no gameplay or story purpose and were just “there”, and so this room with the sad robot in an homage to that.

No idea about the useless items. Some are for optional puzzles, such as giving Primer his medal back, but some seem to serve no purpose whatsoever. (The record, as you said; there’s also some sort of cassette player that you can discover among the junk around the Unniic…)

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Ah, okay, I thought the sad robot was some kind of side-quest, so I’m glad I didn’t miss out on anything.

What about the three items at Leopold that also seemed tradeable (plugboard, water chip, finger)? Red herrings too, I guess?

Hm, so I basically used shortcuts for the codes (decyrption device on bridge + Primer’s help with the tower code), and they were actual puzzles to figure out?
I’m not sure I like this… I didn’t want to “cheat”, I just didn’t know there was a normal way to solve them. Oh well, I’ll do that on my next playthrough then. Smile

I think I agree with you about the Metropol part, Kurufinwe, it was somewhat disjointed puzzlewise.

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

The thing is, while I enjoyed the playthrough I haven’t been emotionally invested in the game, but now that it’s over, I really miss these characters and the whole story/experience (the melancholy kicks in…), and I appreciate it even more.
This is not too common for me, usually happens only with a few games(/books/movies), so this might put Primordia on my list of favorites. (It’s actually the second game this year that has a similar effect on me, and I’ve already played 28.)

Anyway, thanks for participating, guys, it was good to read your thoughts during the challenge.

Next up is wilco with some new adventure. Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Congratulations everybody on ending.

Thinking about the next challenge but I’m a bit out of ideas. I want to play a text adventure in the future but not right now. A couple possibilities:

The Last Express - Classic, never played it.
Harvester - might be fun for group playthrough, don’t know if it’s too frustrating
Botanicula - Short and sweet.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 09 March 2016 08:46 AM

The Last Express - Classic, never played it.

Embarassed

You really should play it. In the next challenge or later, as long as you play it. Smile

Harvester - might be fun for group playthrough, don’t know if it’s too frustrating
Botanicula - Short and sweet.

I support all three options. The last time I replayed TLE was years ago. Got Harvester at GOG some time ago, never played it.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top