• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday, 27 February

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I was slightly disappointed when I played Black Dahlia the first time, right after Ripper: less Hollywood stars, slower plot (and of course, I had to use a walkthrough) - but I’d most definitely enjoy more it’s pseudo-historical, gritty atmosphere now, and when I think of it, it’s objectively probably in Top 3 FMVs ever.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve never played Black Dahlia but do have the game which I bought from Ebay several years ago before I realised that not all older games were compatible with newer systems!!!  Laughing

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 28 February 2016 07:56 AM

I’ve never played Black Dahlia but do have the game which I bought from Ebay several years ago before I realised that not all older games were compatible with newer systems!!!  Laughing

Yes, there really are a lot of games ready for someone like GOG to make compatible. I would love to see the likes of Black Dahlia and Ripper there someday.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Liked the game, the acting and the atmosphere, in spite of the cruel puzzles.
Hated the ending(s).

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 28 February 2016 09:31 AM

Liked the game, the acting and the atmosphere.

Totally agree with you here Karlok. A truly underrated game. I’m also agreeing with Diego that it’s one of the top 3 FMV games of all time (For me (reading best first): Pandora, Black Dahlia, UaKM). I’ll also endorse Oscar’s wish that GOG added it their catalogue.

in spite of the cruel puzzles.

Not cruel, just truly bloody difficult. From memory they all fitted into the game world pretty well bar two. Those two being the card folding and the diabolical rune puzzle.

Hated the ending(s).

Don’t agree here either. I thought that all 3 endings were sound based on the story and were actually “real world” endings rather than “cinematic” endings.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

One of my favorite games.I helped write a walkthrough of it when it first came out. (Back in the CompuServe days.) The walkthrough was written in MS Word. Grabbing screenshots was a bit more difficult back then. Not to mention the fact that there was no place like AG to post them.

The puzzles were brutal. One in particular couldn’t be solved without a walkthrough because you didn’t have all the parts necessary to solve the puzzle. So it was more a workaround than anything else. The door puzzles in the early Ravenhurst games must owe something to the door puzzles in Black Dahlia. That was the one stretch in the game I didn’t like. Not because I hated the door puzzles, but because, after the tenth or eleventh door, they just became monotonous.

I would love to play it again.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jabod - 28 February 2016 10:09 AM

Don’t agree here either. I thought that all 3 endings were sound based on the story and were actually “real world” endings rather than “cinematic” endings.

I only remember two endings. One of them was particularly sad and unpleasant. The other one was just bad.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not cruel, just truly bloody difficult. From memory they all fitted into the game world pretty well bar two. Those two being the card folding and the diabolical rune puzzle.

The Rune puzzle is the one that couldn’t be solved legitimately. I don’t remember whether you didn’t have enough runes to fill all the slots or whether you didn’t have enough slots to fit all the runes. I also don’t remember the specific workaround (other than skipping the puszzle with the keyword.) I still have a copy of the walkthrough noted in my above message. I’ll have to check it.

I also don’t remember a folding card puzzle. There was a folding napkin puzzle that was used in the nightclub. Maybe we’re talking about the same puzzle, but have different recollections of the specific paper product used.

There were three endings, but I only recall the outcome of two of them

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 28 February 2016 05:30 PM

I only remember two endings. One of them was particularly sad and unpleasant. The other one was just bad.

It was along time ago so I might be remembering incorrectly (and I’m tempted to boot up my old Win95 machine for a replay) but, at the final showdown:

Do nothing and be killed by Winslow
Shoot Winslow and have the Black Dahlia take you over to rule the world
Shoot the Black Dahlia and be arrested for murder and found insane

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 28 February 2016 06:26 PM

The Rune puzzle is the one that couldn’t be solved legitimately. I don’t remember whether you didn’t have enough runes to fill all the slots or whether you didn’t have enough slots to fit all the runes. I also don’t remember the specific workaround (other than skipping the puszzle with the keyword.) I still have a copy of the walkthrough noted in my above message. I’ll have to check it.

Originally there was a bug with the rune puzzle. Once a rune was placed inside the wireframe you couldn’t remove it, even if it was in the wrong place. Fixed by a patch. And I could never solve that puzzle anyway which you may well have explained as to why although it certainly wasn’t caused by the number of runes being incorrect as you found them all in one place. Always used the keyword for that one.

I also don’t remember a folding card puzzle. There was a folding napkin puzzle that was used in the nightclub. Maybe we’re talking about the same puzzle, but have different recollections of the specific paper product used.

You could well be right there Tim as that is the puzzle I’m talking about but now I’m wondering if it wasn’t a matchbook that was used.

There were three endings, but I only recall the outcome of two of them

See my response to Karlok Smile

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top