• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What do you prefer as an Adventure Gamer - Inventory Puzzles VS Puzzles?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t care whether the puzzles are inventory puzzles or logic puzzles or dialogue puzzles or anything else, as long as they’re good.

Having to try everything on everything is not the fault of the type of puzzles, but either of the puzzle design (and thus the designer) or of the lack of imagination of the player. As far as I know, most of the criticized inventory puzzles had a bad design (the rubber duck in TLJ, the cat moustache in GK3, etc.). That doesn’t mean all inventory puzzles are bad…

Besides, there are plenty of puzzles that are not literal inventory puzzles but that could reasonably be regarded as such.
The whole “coloured scents”-thing in Discworld Noir for instance. While not involving inventory items per se, it’s pretty close to it. I just call it a nice twist and a good change of gameplay.
Variety is always welcomed when it comes to puzzles. The best games offer several vastly different types of puzzles…

Lucien21 -

Puzzles are the reason I play these games and I prefer good puzzles over bad, but I don’t mind which type they are.

Logic Puzzles, inventory puzzles, dialogue puzzles etc etc etc I don’t mind. Some of the best games have a mixture of all of them. My least favourite may be sound puzzles because i’m not very good at them (tone deaf), but I wouldn’t begrudge a game from trying one.

^ This.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I think Inventory Puzzles have had their day. Whenever I come across them in a game, they are often poorly constructed with little thought or logical basis. The last game I played was Detective Hayseed: Hollywood and it had such absurd puzzles that I got fed up and ended up using the scroll wheel to go through each inventory item and use it on everything in the screen. It was easy enough to do, and allowed me to finish the game with much less frustration than if I had tried to think logically (if that is even possible to do in a game where using a fish on a valve to open it is logical).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Inventory puzzles are archaic, but has nice nostalgia to it
But for modern design they have to be fun to use like Re7
Less obtrusive and more sensible

I prefer block/lever/climbing/platforming puzzles most
Still havent had enough of it
Something like TR ones, which involve exploring environments and running/jumping

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Inventory puzzles were a lot of fun in Return to Mysterious Island.
Normally I prefer other puzzle types though.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

5 years ago, and my opinion has not changed. I am loving The Witness.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I enjoy both types.

Crafting logical,challenging, and fair puzzles can be a hard balance though, and that is where many games go wrong.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Inventory puzzles can be excellent if they’re well implemented, but that’s hard work:

Firstly you need to make sure it’s clear what the player is trying to do. You’re allowed to mislead a bit on this - lateral thinking should be encouraged! - but if you’re just making the player waste time they won’t thank you.

Secondly you need to provide lots of alternative responses when you try the wrong thing. These have to indicate why the thing the player tried doesn’t work, possibly hinting at what might be better, and preferably also entertaining the player. Providing a lot of individual responses for different inventory items is a lot of work and expensive if there’s voice acting and animation involved, but it’s crucial - it keeps the player entertained and gives them the sense that they’re trying to solve a problem using the resources at hand rather than just trying to guess which one solution the designer had in mind.

A lot of more recent games don’t bother with the second - some will use a standard response for any ‘wrong’ interaction, often a ‘hilarious’ one. Say the player has a key and a bicycle pump, and wants to open a door. Trying to open the door with the bicycle pump also gets the response ‘Well, I could try that… if I was an IDIOT!’. That seems reasonable. But it’s the wrong key, and using the key on the door gets the response ‘Well, I could try that… if I was an IDIOT!’. Even if the player enjoyed being abused in a silly voice for trying something daft the first time, that response to the key is inappropriate and kills immersion. If the response had been ‘Hmm. Nope, this key doesn’t fit. The right one must be around here somewhere…’ it would feel more natural and the player would be encouraged to examine the surrounding area and find the right key hidden under a pot plant nearby.

Other games may simply give no response at all if the player tries something that’s not in the script. Experimentation is discouraged - you’re back to just trying to guess what the designer wanted you to do.

Now for some players this isn’t a problem - if you’re a big fan of Syberia/Secret Files etc and are following a walkthrough all the way for the sake of the story, you may not even notice what’s missing. But for anyone actually trying to solve the puzzles (is it too harsh to say ‘actually playing the game’?) it makes all the difference.

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

Some good stuff in this thread! I’m currently working on an adventure game (being a fan myself) and whilst most of the stuff is things i’m familiar with, some statements are eye-openers :-D. Very useful and enjoyable reads.

But on-topic:
I think a good adventure game has both. The key is immersion. As long as the inventory-puzzle and / or ‘regular’ puzzle are designed in a way that they make sense for the player in the story, i think you can get away with offering either.

Having said that, i think a player in general would also welcome variety and as such would appreciate a healthy mix of both. This as least goes for me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top