• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Riddle Me This! (Quiz)

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Bastich - 05 June 2012 10:24 PM

the smith is from Dream Zone.

Hmm. As far as I know Dream Zone is a 1988 game and your screenshot looks like it was taken from a 1996 game. Was that screen taken from the Amiga version or what?

I noticed most of your old games screenshots look better/newer than those at Moby or any other site (!?!?). What’s your secret?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

zobraks - 06 June 2012 03:10 AM

Hmm. As far as I know Dream Zone is a 1988 game and your screenshot looks like it was taken from a 1996 game. Was that screen taken from the Amiga version or what?

No, it’s from the DOS VGA version. 

zobraks - 06 June 2012 03:10 AM

I noticed most of your old games screenshots look better/newer than those at Moby or any other site (!?!?). What’s your secret?

If I told you, it wouldn’t be a secret, now would it? Wink

Actually, it isn’t a secret at all. The reason is that I take the screenshots myself and save them in png format, which is lossless, so you are getting the shots exactly as they appear in the game. Anyone who uses a lossy format like jpg for a pixel art game should be skinned alive, set aflame, drawn and quartered, tarred and feathered, and fed to feral pigs.  And with bandwidth where it is today, it’s still a crime IMO to use lossy compression on non-pixel art screenshots, even if the resolution is high.

I think I personally took about 90 of the screenshots in this quiz.

Some I didn’t personally take were the following:

The Space Quest 2 inventory item (10) I got from http://www.spacequest.net/archives/ which has all the inventory items from the Space Quest games.

The Curse of Monkey Island inventory item (31), I got from http://www.scummbar.com/index.php?todo=old which has all the inventory items from the first 3 Monkey Island games and that is the reason why the background was different than the game in the quiz as they combined all the items on a background of their choosing there.

CHAOS Continuum (56), Discworld 2 (91), and Zork: Grand Inquisitor (98) were from Mobygames or google image search as well. I think a few more were from the Internet, but the rest involved me installing the games and taking the shots.

I mostly like to use games I’ve played before in my quizzes as I get to install and nostalgically play sections of them as I gather shots and ideas. Of the 102 game shots (including John Smith) in this quiz/thread, I’ve played at least 99 of them and finished 97.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Unfortunately, the graphics program I use doesn’t recognize png, so I have to change my screens to jpegs if I want to modify them in any way.  I always thought that Photobucket didn’t upload pngs, but I just tried a screen capture and see that they do.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Bastich - 06 June 2012 06:41 PM

Anyone who uses a lossy format like jpg for a pixel art game should be skinned alive, set aflame, drawn and quartered, tarred and feathered, and fed to feral pigs.

LOL!

for letting me in on (some of) your secret(s), Bastich!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top