• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best music in an adventure game?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I find that when I go back to play old classic adventures the music is almost what touches me most. It really sets the vibe alongside the graphics to create the feeling of being in a virtual world. I am really fond of some of the primitive adlib soundtracks of the early VGA days but I also quite enjoy the digital soundtracks of some later games, though usually not quite as much. 

For my favorite adlib soundtrack I’m probably torn between Kyrandia 1 and Conquests of the Longbow.  My favorite digital soundtrack would probably be Star Control II (even though I realize it’s not considered a purist adventure game)

Curious to hear what are some of your favorites?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

These are my picks:

Grim Fandango
Gabriel Knight
Phoenix Wright
Blade Runner
Blackwell 2

Some of the most evocative songs from these games:

Blade runner Blues: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blade+runner+blues

Dixieland drugstore:

Courtroom lounge:

From Grim Fandango:

Anyone noticing a pattern? I like jazzy/melancholic music. =P

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve been playing Valiant Heart recently and I really enjoy the music.

In term of classics, my favorite is the soundtrack from Dune: https://soundcloud.com/st-phane-picq

Grim Fandango’s soundtrack is indeed very good (but then I’m a sucker for Swing).

For adlib soundtrack, I agree with Syn, I like Conquest of the longbow’s soundtrack (especially the music from the Willows in Robin’s dream).

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

I agree with giom: the soundtrack from Dune by Stéphane Picq and Philip Ulrich was amazing!

Some other games with great music:

The last express
Fract OSC
Seven games of the soul
The sea will claim everything
Aviary attorney

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

While I’ll always hold Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword and Grim Fandango, among others, at the top of my list of best PC AG soundtracks, I’ll still hold a soft spot for one of my faves, the soundtrack to the NES version of Maniac Mansion. Dave’s Theme, in particular, really matches the period of the game.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Gray Matter FTW.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

With all the great soundtrack in mind; but as a whole!, there is one that cant go wrong, and each of its playlist is just amazing, Gemini Rue!

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Origami - 06 February 2016 06:36 PM

Anyone noticing a pattern? I like jazzy/melancholic music. =P

I always have music from the Jinguji Saburo / Jake Hunter series running in the background when I’m doing writing work. Fantastic jazzy soundtracks.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I am currently playing the last chapter of Life Is Strange and the music is impressive, and very thrilling & touching. I can’t get it out of my head. A breathtaking repertoire.Some of them:

Syd Matters - Obstacles

Mogwai -Kids Will Be Skeletons

Local Natives -Mt.Washington

José Gonzales - Crosses

Syd Matters - To All of You

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I have some warm memories for The Legend of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate soundtrack but if we look all the old classics, then I have to vote for jazzy Sam & Max: Hit the Road and hard rock Full Throttle. I really liked Telltale`s new Sam & Max games soundtracks too. Really good jazzy vibes and melodies there.

Gray Matter soundtrack is brilliant too. It`s probably the best Robert Holmes soundtrack so far. There is also Machinarium and “for some reason even I cannot fathom” I`m still listening that soundtrack sometimes..
2013 best music was undoubtedly Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller (also made by Robert Holmes) and 2014 The Wolf Among Us (really cool game and almost perfect sounds)!

2015 is tough. Many strong contenders. I agree, Life is Strange has really impressive soundtrack and those tracks are played in right places in that game. Another great soundtrack belongs to STASIS. Mark Morgan did brilliant job with Daniel Sadowski for that soundtrack. Really atmospheric tracks and cool sci-fi / alien vibes too.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention two other soundtracks (even though I often listen to them…

- Machinarium, I really liked it and even extracted one of the music directly from the game because it was not in the soundtrack.
- To the moon, a very relaxing soundtrack

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Music from the old Sierra and LucasArts games was dependably good, especially the Gabriel Knight music and The Dig. Also

Myst
Riven
Atlantis: The Lost Tales (composed by Pierre Estève & Stéphane Picq)
Dune
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Quest For Glory 4 has in my humble opinion one of the best sound tracks done for adventure games. Gabriel Knight has a fantastic sound track as well.

LSL7 has a nice jazzy tunes and the much berated Larry Reloaded isn’t much worse either in the music department.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Grim
Gabriel3
Brokensword
Journey
Wolfamongus
Rapture was recent single most greatest gut wrenching hauntingly beautiful and emotional
OST to grace gaming, without which the game itself would have been hollow.
HeavyRain themes of Shelby and others were great too.
Beyond also had powerful main themes.
Hoteldusk, phoenixwright, Anothercode wii, Glassrose…
But you cant get wrong with Masafumitakada of FSR and Danganronpa.
Clocktower had most profound theme.
Then there is Layton.
And
Machinarium.

Come to think of it, all the AGs were great mainly because of strong musical component.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

After all these years, I still prefer the soundtrack of The Dig. The very atmospheric Wagnerian music is oh so beautiful. Fantastic OST!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Bumping this thread because I recently heard Stephane Picq’s soundtrack to an old Cryo adventure, Lost Eden.

This is really chill:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top