• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #15—Beyond: Light Advent

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Just finished the bonus game and you get your money’s worth, imo. Lots of little goodies afterwards too that I’ll have to check out later.  It looks as though you can go back and collect objects without playing the entire game.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Dara100 - 23 February 2016 12:49 PM

It looks as though you can go back and collect objects without playing the entire game.

I like this feature. Not only can you pick up any collectibles you missed, but it lets you revisit all the game environments (assuming you haven’t already clicked on the collectible in each environment), which I enjoy doing once a game is over.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well the thread won’t go away. It will just get unpinned.

I’m wondering if it’s time to lay this one to rest and start a new playthrough thread?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yes, I think it’s time to unsticky the thread. Do people want to go straight to voting for another casual playthrough game, or take a break in between?

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would say TimovieMan should un-pin it. Then let’s open a new voting thread in a week, let’s say next Saturday, and see whether anyone is interested.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Sounds good to me. I suspect that TimM is trying to finish this game now. Hi TimM!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 26 February 2016 10:00 PM

I would say TimovieMan should un-pin it.

Un-stickied.

Becky - 27 February 2016 08:22 AM

I suspect that TimM is trying to finish this game now. Hi TimM!

I apologize. I’ve been totally side-tracked these last couple of weeks…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks and no worries!  Wink

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Since I left this game in the middle back in February, I restarted from the beginning and have now in fact finished it. Or rather, I did so two months ago, right before the laptop gave out.

It’s a decent game with some good puzzles, but one thing soured it for me and that thing is always going to be the first to pop in my head when thinking about this game:

Carl turning out to be a World Eater.

Felt like a total ass-pull to me, like they just threw that in there for the sake of it. It left me with an incredulous stare and a “you did NOT just do that” expression. To me it seems like lazy writing. A totally unnecessary plot twist that only exists because the writer couldn’t think of a better one (that might actually make some sense). I absolutely hated the twist.

They seem to have glossed over a lot of things in the plot (as evidenced by the discussion and speculation that’d been going on in the thread here). Thinking about it imo only leads to finding more and more holes in the plot.

In short, this game could’ve done with a better plot. Fortunately they did a lot of things right in the graphics and puzzle department, or this would’ve been an absolute dud for me…

But hey, I finished it 8 months later and took another two months to make a post about it, so maybe I shouldn’t be caught using phrases like “lazy writing” at all? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Hi Tim,

I agree with you that I too said “What?!”  It seemed so unnecessary, but I liked that they were trying to add some suspense. However I judge casual games much more leniently than I do “regular” games.  As long as they look great, are fairly coherent and the puzzles make sense - some are so obtuse that I just skip them - I’m happy.

liked the game very much otherwise.  The attempt to put it in an earlier time period worked very successfully, I thought.  Also, I liked that it was fairly long.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dara100 - 08 January 2017 02:33 PM

liked the game very much otherwise.  The attempt to put it in an earlier time period worked very successfully, I thought.  Also, I liked that it was fairly long.

The time period rang a lot of “Roswell, New Mexico” bells in my head, but I reckon the game takes place at least a decade later than 1947, so that didn’t fly. Tongue

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wow, this brings back some memories! Carl being a World Eater worked for me because apparently the World Eaters would disguise themselves and check out planets they were about to invade beforehand. How Carl happened to be in exactly the right place when Nix’s ship crashed IS something of a coincidence. Though working at an observatory and monitoring the stars would make sense if the World Eaters anticipated that the Iridessans might try to help the people of Earth.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top