• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #15—Beyond: Light Advent

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I had a few credits to spend at BFG so went ahead & bought the collector’s Edition. I’ve finished the 1st section - my impressions so far are that I love the sci-fi setting as it makes a change from the normal horror fayre, love the introductory soundtrack although a little bit later on it seems to have a mixture of ‘cinematic/orchestra’? with some Ry Cooderesque guitar twangs, love the ‘cinematics’ & so far the game seems to have bags of atmosphere! I’m playing on the easiest setting as Stargazer. Yes, it was fun to glean some personal info about Carl by clicking on the walkie talkie! 

Becky - 03 February 2016 06:19 AM

QUIZIONAIRE: Questions from Section One and Two of the Playthrough

1. What decade do you think the game is set in?

2. Did Nix and Diana actually meet in the past? If so, why did Diana think Nix was imaginary?

3. What type of movie was showing in the drive-in theater?

4. When you see the nurse’s shadow on the curtain in the window, what is she carrying?

5. EXTRA CREDIT: WHILE PLAYING SECTION TWO: keep an eye out for the best pick-up lines. (We are almost to Valentine’s Day after all.)

1 My thought is that the game is set in the early 60’s.
2 It seems that they did meet - there so far seems to be no explanation as to why Diana thought Nix was imaginery although she has a memory & a picture she drew of him but, how did she immediately know who Nix was when she met him all those years later?
3 Aw, I forgot!
4 I didn’t pay attention!
5 I’ll be back soon as I haven’t played Section 2 yet!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 03 February 2016 06:19 AM

BEYOND: LIGHT ADVENT – SECTION TWO

QUIZIONAIRE: Questions from Section One and Two of the Playthrough

5. EXTRA CREDIT: WHILE PLAYING SECTION TWO: keep an eye out for the best pick-up lines. (We are almost to Valentine’s Day after all.)

I haven’t quite finished Section 2 yet but if any man (alien or otherwise) sends me a valentine card with these words: “Your planet looks so quiet and serene…. It’s almost as breath-taking as you are.” I’m all yours!  Laughing

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

[Had quoted chrissie but had a doubled word in it.  The Horror! ]
Wink

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finished this section. I liked P’tula’s apartment although I wished they had spent more time on leaving the apartment. I wonder if she was P’tula Clark? (I know…that dates me)

Also liked Melvin’s trailer. Good atmosphere.  It reminded me of The Cross Formula, which I liked. At least until the end, or rather, the non-end.

What I didn’t like was the native American village which to my mind depended fairly heavily on cultural stereotypes. Of course the whole game is about campy movie depictions from the nerdy scientist to the cliche’d military presence but the village seemed a bit on the demeaning side.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

chrissie - 04 February 2016 08:09 AM

...  although she has a memory & a picture she drew of him but, how did she immediately know who Nix was when she met him all those years later?

If you want to quote me Dara100 please don’t mess & BTW you stole my avatar!  Laughing

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

chrissie - 04 February 2016 12:38 PM

...  although she has a memory & a picture she drew of him but, how did she immediately know who Nix was when she met him all those years later?

If you want to quote me Dara100 please don’t mess & BTW you stole my avatar!  Laughing

Sooo sorry.  This has been my avatar for a long time and I use it on other sites as well.  Besides your current avatar suits you much better. Smile

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished section two.

Edit: I should also say that I went a bit past this point. I was in the room, looking around, and my foil-capped nerd appeared. I just kind of went with the flow. I left the room, but, in a moment of incredible self-restraint, did not get on the motorcycle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 04 February 2016 12:38 PM

I’ve seen many duplicate avatars over the years. I’ve never seen a duplicate of mine. Which is a good thing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

colpet - 03 February 2016 08:27 AM
Lady Kestrel - 02 February 2016 02:36 PM

I like the way the alien asked her to come closer and then added things to the bar at the bottom of the screen using his fingers.  I hadn’t seen that done before in a casual game.  Usually, items just appear.

Yes, that was a nice touch (no pun intended :-) )

Another nice detail is the way the interface at the bottom of the screen changes when you’ve used a memory crystal to “become” Iridessan as you access a memory.

furgotten - 04 February 2016 12:23 PM

Finished this section. I liked P’tula’s apartment although I wished they had spent more time on leaving the apartment. I wonder if she was P’tula Clark? (I know…that dates me)

I wondered the same thing, actually. The character looks very distinctive with all that blue hair. Is she a natural bluede, I wonder?

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

QUIZIONAIRE: Questions from Section One and Two of the Playthrough—Answers and Speculations

1. What decade do you think the game is set in? I’ve been looking closely for an actual date in the game and can’t find one. My guess is that it’s around 1955 – mostly because the diner reminds me of the one in Back to the Future, and that went back in time to 1955.

2. Did Nix and Diana actually meet in the past? If so, why did Diana think Nix was imaginary? Yes, they did meet in the past. Diana as a young girl apparently was looking out her telescope from her bedroom window and saw Nix’s ship land nearby and then somehow managed to meet him. I have screenshots I’ll post after the playthrough that show this. As to why Diana thought he was imaginary – I like the theories posted above in this thread. Since no one else ever saw Nix, Diana had no confirmation of his existence, and the whole idea of an alien friend was so strange that, in later years, she managed to convince herself that it must have been her imagination.

As for how she knew who Nix was – there was a strong connection as soon as he touched her. You can actually see a visible connection on their wrists. Nix also mentions that, since they met as children, their minds have been linked.

3. What type of movie was showing in the drive-in theater?  Yes, a sci-fi alien invasion movie.

4. When you see the nurse’s shadow on the curtain in the window, what is she carrying? I like Tim’s clipboard identification. Personally, I think it’s a medical device (maybe a giant syringe?) but that could easily be wrong. The screenshot is posted below in the next quiz so more people can speculate if they like.

5. WHILE PLAYING SECTION TWO: keep an eye out for the best pick-up lines. (Yes, this game has something of a love story theme. We are almost to Valentine’s Day after all.)

colpet - 03 February 2016 07:49 PM

However, did anyone notice the lyrics to the intro song. Something about what a girl wants from a boy, then saying a kiss but “above and beyond….”?  Gasp

It’s definitely a love song. Maybe he has to prove himself to her?

chrissie - 04 February 2016 09:32 AM

I haven’t quite finished Section 2 yet but if any man (alien or otherwise) sends me a valentine card with these words: “Your planet looks so quiet and serene…. It’s almost as breath-taking as you are.” I’m all yours!  Laughing

Guys, this is how it’s done.  Of course, it doesn’t hurt if you happen to be a handsome alien with a quirky haircut and a sexy voice. And Carl shows how NOT to impress a woman: ”Girls like smart guys. At least, that’s what my mom tells me.”

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

BEYOND: LIGHT ADVENT – SECTION THREE

Diana will soon be hot on the trail of another memory crystal, and everybody else is trying to track her down. Her quest will take her onto the set of a Wild West Monster Movie (it’s a whole new film genre). The foibles of Hollywood will now be revealed.

And guess who gets to play the role of the monster in the movie?

Play on and stop when you find yourself outside the Arrowhead Dam (see the screenshot below). This section should take about an hour, and since we’re at the weekend when Real Living happens, we’ll have three days to complete it. Try to finish Section Three by Tuesday, February 9th at around 12:00 noon, forum time.

QUIZIONAIRE FROM SECTIONS ONE THROUGH THREE

1. Diana has put herself at considerable risk to find the memory crystals that reveal what’s happened recently on Iridessa. Nix says that these memory crystals will help her. How have they helped her?

2. Why didn’t the military put Diana in a secure facility (instead of in her own room) once they had captured her?

3. Because many people missed the image of the nurse here it is. What is she holding?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 06 February 2016 07:10 AM

4. When you see the nurse’s shadow on the curtain in the window, what is she carrying?
I like Tim’s clipboard identification. Personally, I think it’s a medical device (maybe a giant syringe?) but that could easily be wrong. The screenshot is posted below in the next quiz so more people can speculate if they like.

Well, if it’s a medical device you want, I rephrase clipboard and call it a patient’s medical chart.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since she had a pen or pencil and was writing on it, I think it’s a medical chart as well.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As far as question 2, I might as well bring up some of my concerns now. That will pave the way.

Was the spaceship Diana saw land when she was a young girl piloted by Nix as a young boy? Probably not. Did Nix as a young boy arrive as part of the expedition that was going to build the defense system? But if that was the case, why would they have returned home, only to arrive again later to activate the defenses? The builders would have known their own planet was under attack. That’s why they building the defense system on Earth…a way to prevent a duplication of what happened at home.

So, if you kind of futz all that together, it doesn’t seem possible for Diana to have actually met a “physical” Nix when she was a child. Even though some clues say that’s what happened.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 08 February 2016 12:53 PM

Was the spaceship Diana saw land when she was a young girl piloted by Nix as a young boy? Probably not. Did Nix as a young boy arrive as part of the expedition that was going to build the defense system? But if that was the case, why would they have returned home, only to arrive again later to activate the defenses? The builders would have known their own planet was under attack. That’s why they building the defense system on Earth…a way to prevent a duplication of what happened at home.

So, if you kind of futz all that together, it doesn’t seem possible for Diana to have actually met a “physical” Nix when she was a child. Even though some clues say that’s what happened.

I’m not sure exactly where we get this info so I’ll put it in spoiler tags.

Nix’s father was the lead engineer for one of the towers. So evidently an expedition was sent to Earth several years earlier, and Nix came with his father. So I agree, Nix didn’t pilot the ship as a boy.

From what I can tell, Iridessa isn’t attacked until about the same time that Earth is attacked. For example, P’tula has her apartment invaded by agents of the Worldeaters immediately before Nix leaves for his current trip to Earth. If the Worldeaters had attacked Iridessa years ago, P’tula wouldn’t now be living in a nice apartment in a beautiful city. So the Iridessans apparently knew of the threat to their planet and to Earth for years, though they didn’t know when an attack would actually occur. They selflessly created a defense mechanism for Earth. This naturally brings up the question—why build a defense system for Earth, but not for their own planet? Or did they build a defense system for Iridessa but fail to activate it when the Worldeaters finally showed up?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top