• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Murder Mystery games?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

tinpanalley - 23 January 2016 09:57 AM

Also, I may be incredibly ignorant but I’ve never once been able to stand live action acting in video games.

I’ll be a bastard and recommend you Gabriel Knight 2. You won’t find better murder mystery.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2016-01-22

PM

diego - 23 January 2016 01:10 PM

I’ll be a bastard and recommend you Gabriel Knight 2. You won’t find better murder mystery.

Hahaha! Ok, cool.  Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Speaking of murder mysteries I was just playing this little one - The Deed. It’s really a small Clue-like game (15-20min for a playthrough) but has the twist of you being the murderer and have to get away and frame someone else.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

GlassRose, Cing’s masterpiece, only few played it , only those know how suspenseful it was.
Them days.
Long gone.
Frown

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

tinpanalley - 23 January 2016 09:57 AM

Also, I may be incredibly ignorant but I’ve never once been able to stand live action acting in video games.

Then you should totally ignore the brilliant Casebook series.

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

British style murder mystery games , not too many i guess unless you count the sherlock games.
You could try the older sherlock holmes games from the 90s by Mythos software. There were 2 in all , 1 in 1992 and 1 in 1996. The 3DO released the first one as a full talkie with small FMV clips , not for PC though.

1996 The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

The agatha christie Poirot games might be of interest ?

2005 “And Then There Were None”

2006 “Murder on the orient express”

2007 “Evil Under the Sun”

And the just released “The ABC Murders”

http://store.steampowered.com/app/374900/

There’s also the 2004 jack the ripper game. Can’t comment if it’s any good though as i never played it.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2016-01-22

PM

Origami - 23 January 2016 08:46 AM

You not mentioning BBC’s Jonathan Creek is somewhat disturbing. First watch that, then come back.
Also check out: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

I’ve actually gone and gotten Jonathan Creek now, having heard of it for years and loving Alan Davies. Really great. But, and I’ll repeat again, I only said I love English TELEVISION mysteries. The games don’t have to be that. Also, in my opinion only, while we’re on the subject, Jonathan Creek is great but I wouldn’t put it in the top 5 best British crime shows of all time. So the “watch that, then come back” comment is a little harsh because it suggests my opinion isn’t valid until I’ve seen what you declare to be an essential series. My point is, I have watched, and now come back, and I love it but I don’t think it’s something that someone perhaps reading this thread later on needs to do in order to find good murder mystery adventure games or television. Again, in MY opinion.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

marshal99 - 14 February 2016 02:37 AM

British style murder mystery games , not too many i guess unless you count the sherlock games.
You could try the older sherlock holmes games from the 90s by Mythos software. There were 2 in all , 1 in 1992 and 1 in 1996. The 3DO released the first one as a full talkie with small FMV clips , not for PC though.

1996 The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

The agatha christie Poirot games might be of interest ?

2005 “And Then There Were None”

2006 “Murder on the orient express”

2007 “Evil Under the Sun”

And the just released “The ABC Murders”

http://store.steampowered.com/app/374900/

There’s also the 2004 jack the ripper game. Can’t comment if it’s any good though as i never played it.

Does anyone know where I can find the Agatha Christie games listed in this response?

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

hmmm Idk contradiction def has some over the top cheesy acting, but there is some good in there too especially the main bad. Some of the shows the Op mentioned are full of bad acting.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Detective Di game a huge win for the genre.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played it. It’s quite good. I need to replay it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Sorry in advance if I’m going overboard with this..

The Painscreek Killings. Main character is a journalist, but it’s very much a murder investigation.

Alter Ego (the one by Future Games). Set in the 19th century, checks all the other boxes.

Sinking Island. Stylistically a bit like the Agatha Christie-inspired game “And Then There Were None”.

The Shivah: Kosher Edition Set in NYC, investigate a murder, as a rabbi.

The Carol Reed Mysteries? Set in Sweden, mostly (I think). Seems more detective-like than the Nancy Drew games in the puzzle department.

Broken Windows chapter 1 and 2. Two freeware titles, very current and British in setting/tone. Police procedural + investigation.

Cruise for a corpse. Good detective game, if you can find it.

The “worth a shot”-recommendations (ordered by degree of “stretch”):

The Blackwell Series. Fair warning: The plots rely on acceptance of the supernatural. They’re also firmly rooted in reality, a bit like the Stephen King novels. I think they all feature murder, mystery and murder mystery.

The Hand of Glory. A bit more extravagant in tone than the TV series you’ve mentioned, but it’s been compared to Broken Sword, features sleuthing, questioning and seeing through lies. And most likely a zealous murderer, so there’s that.

Whispers of a Machine. It’s futuristic and has sci-fi elements, but at it’s core it is a character-driven (murder) investigation. It’s very good.

Tangle Tower. Stylistically, it’s quite far removed from the vibe of any BBC detective, but it’s a really good murder mystery.

Thimbleweed Park. It starts as a murder mystery, at least. It gets quite meta. And it features a playable grumpy clown. Just a heads up.

Blacksad. The dude’s a cat. Set in 50s NYC. It’s been compared to LA Noire, though.

The Flower Collectors Barcelona, 70s, characters anthropomorphic as well.

Inspector Waffles. Another cat detective. I’d say it’s just realistic enough to be mentioned in the context of your question. I’ll stop here before the suggestions get too far off base.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Just because this thread is severely lacking in the text adventure department.

1893: A World’s Fair Mystery is a must play. Unparalleled historical detail, huge game world, challenging puzzles. Why would you want a graphical game when you haven’t played this?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

This game is not be found anymore. Where can you get it?

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Origami - 25 March 2021 03:53 PM

Detective Di game a huge win for the genre.

Agreed. Played this recently and really enjoyed it, from start to finish. Some very nice puzzles, perfectly balanced. I wish the deduction making wasn’t done for you; it would have been neat to have to somehow create that chart manually, in a puzzle format. But I get the feeling that this is just the beginning for this promising new developer; I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next. Hope he stays with Di and makes it into a series, and that is *not* something I say often—I usually prefer to try new IP’s than continuations of existing ones.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top