• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! (The Wolf Among Us)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Intense Degree - 26 January 2016 06:31 AM

Having said that I haven’t read the comics and there may well be more to it.

I don’t really remember Faith/Nerissa showing up in the comics so there’s not more to go on. I think it’s just something that Telltale wanted to leave unresolved. Like the ending of Her Story.

I think the only thing that annoyed me about the game was a couple of moments in the fights when Bigby is struggling and you have to repeatedly tap the screen (not sure of the PC equivalent) in an attempt to overcome his adversary, but even though the circle fills up you don’t succeed in fighting them off. I get that it’s probably meant to show that sometimes Bigby struggles in vain and can’t win them all but for me, if they want to do that, they should just have a circle that fills so slowly you will never do it.  I would rather that than tapping away, filling the circle as I am required to and still not getting a result.

Complety agree, almost broke my “Q” key just to see what happened if I filled up the bar in some of those fights Smile for nothing…

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh yeah, as if quicktime wasnt annoying enough on its own.. many times it just doesnt even matter what you do. Like some of those circle targets youre supposed to click, id miss by a clear margin and get the result anyway. If i was scoring the game on just gameplay.. it would not be good.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude28 - 26 January 2016 12:48 AM

I just finished the game tonight. Could it be, the fight between Nerissa and Faith took place before the altercation with the Woodsman? So after the fight with the woodsman, Faith goes back to the Puddin n Pie and guilts Nerissa into changing places because she betrayed them. Nerissa, feeling bad, agrees, and ends up killed. It’s all conjecture, but like zain pointed out, it seems much more likely that Faith is the one at the end.

Yeah, everything is conjecture, and sure, Faith could have forced or persuaded Nerissa to change places. Which would fit the selfsacrifice of the Little Mermaid’s story. I still think Faith = Faith and Nerissa = Nerissa because it’s the best story with no potholes except the parting shot. But IF Nerissa is really a glamoured Faith, then why should we believe a word of what she tells Bigby at the end of the game? As Nerissa Faith can lie as much as she wants. 

The picture in Lawrence’s apartment of him and Faith, her picture in the book of fables, and her background story all point that Faith is the one in the woodsman’s house.

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Yes Faith married Lawrence and her background story is in the book. How is that relevant, Nerissa could still have visited the woodsman as Faith.

Also from Big B’s flashback, I gathered that the person Big B encountered at the woodsman’s and the person he encountered in the final scene are the same person. So most likely, that person is Faith.

Why most likely Faith, why not Nerissa as herself throughout the game and as Faith in the first scene? Plus they’re just Bigby’s thoughts. I wouldn’t use those as proof of anything. Smile

I think the only thing that annoyed me about the game was a couple of moments in the fights when Bigby is struggling and you have to repeatedly tap the screen (not sure of the PC equivalent) in an attempt to overcome his adversary, but even though the circle fills up you don’t succeed in fighting them off. I get that it’s probably meant to show that sometimes Bigby struggles in vain and can’t win them all but for me, if they want to do that, they should just have a circle that fills so slowly you will never do it.

I played the PC version (tapping the Q-key) and sometimes the cirle did fill up so slowly that you will fail. I think, not entirely sure, those were moments Bigby in his human form was losing, so the wolf is on the verge if coming out. Like in the intro, when the Woodsman chokes him in the street. The circle didn’t fill up, you see Bigby’s eyes go yellow, but then Faith buries the axe in Woody’s skull.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Karlok - 26 January 2016 08:38 AM

I played the PC version (tapping the Q-key) and sometimes the circle did fill up so slowly that you will fail. I think, not entirely sure, those were moments Bigby in his human form was losing, so the wolf is on the verge if coming out. Like in the intro, when the Woodsman chokes him in the street. The circle didn’t fill up, you see Bigby’s eyes go yellow, but then Faith buries the axe in Woody’s skull.

To be fair I did have a couple of moments when there wasn’t time to fill the circle (or I wasn’t quick enough) but there were at least two others (probably more - can’t remember) when I was able to fill the circle completely and kept going with the circle filled (when at other times it would have accepted it as “complete”) but Bigby was not “successful” in what he was trying to do. And I do hate “exercise” for no reason! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 26 January 2016 08:38 AM
SoccerDude28 - 26 January 2016 12:48 AM

The picture in Lawrence’s apartment of him and Faith, her picture in the book of fables, and her background story all point that Faith is the one in the woodsman’s house.

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Yes Faith married Lawrence and her background story is in the book. How is that relevant, Nerissa could still have visited the woodsman as Faith.

I am referring to this picture from Lawrence’s apartment:

As you can see, the girl in the picture looks like the girl in the woodsman’s apartment. There are 2 possibilities who the girl in the woodsman’s apartment is, based on knowing what the real Faith looks like:
A- It is Faith.
B- It is Nerissa glamoured as Faith, and in this case, there are also two sub cases here.
—if she goes back to being herself before the first murder takes place (i.e. sometime between the woodsman encounter and the first death), and the real Faith gets killed, there is a contradiction there, because the head we see has bruises, and the real Faith’s head should not have any bruises in this case (because the real Faith never went to the woodsman based on our assumption).

— if she continues being Faith until she is killed (i.e. the person who was killed was Nerissa), then Faith is impersonating Nerissa for the rest of the game. But in this case, I go back to my point

Also from Big B’s flashback, I gathered that the person Big B encountered at the woodsman’s and the person he encountered in the final scene are the same person. So most likely, that person is Faith.

It is really really implied that the person in the first and last scene are the same person. From the comment, “you are not as bad…”, to the hand gesture, to all the stuff that flashes back in Bigby’s head of both girls repeating the same phrases, it would be a huge coincidence, if the 2 girls repeat the same words and mannerism. One girl could have told the other what happened, but would it be down to those minute details? I highly doubt it. Also, the last scene would be really stupid if they were not trying to imply something in it with all those flashbacks.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

If Nerissa and Faith have changed place then at the end why would Faith continue to glamour herself as Nerissa? Surely any threat is gone and she could simply come out as herself?

I suspect she does that because she saved her hide by impersonating Nerissa, and causing Nerissa’s subsequent death. There will be tons of questions asked, and who knows what else Faith has done. The whole thing could be Faith’s grand plan, to bring down the crooked man and save herself.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude28 - 26 January 2016 05:00 PM

There are 2 possibilities who the girl in the woodsman’s apartment is, based on knowing what the real Faith looks like:
A- It is Faith.
B- It is Nerissa glamoured as Faith, and in this case, there are also two sub cases here.
—if she goes back to being herself before the first murder takes place (i.e. sometime between the woodsman encounter and the first death), and the real Faith gets killed, there is a contradiction there, because the head we see has bruises, and the real Faith’s head should not have any bruises in this case (because the real Faith never went to the woodsman based on our assumption).

— if she continues being Faith until she is killed (i.e. the person who was killed was Nerissa), then Faith is impersonating Nerissa for the rest of the game. But in this case, I go back to my point

Seems to me we’re going over the same ground again. Or maybe you missed my post #62 about the 4 possibilities? http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/7243/P60/#105196

It is really really implied that the person in the first and last scene are the same person.

Oh yes! It sure is implied. Telltale throwing red herrings at us and having a ball. Gggrrr…

From the comment, “you are not as bad…”, to the hand gesture,

Nerissa has an umbrella in one hand and her bag in the other. She never makes the same hand gesture as Faith did. But our friend Bloody Mary does. Smile The exact same gesture and the words: See ya ‘round!  I’m not in any way implying BM is glamouring anyone or being glamoured (that would be a miracle Smile). But maybe those words and gestures are often used in Fabletown. 

to all the stuff that flashes back in Bigby’s head of both girls repeating the same phrases, it would be a huge coincidence, if the 2 girls repeat the same words and mannerism. One girl could have told the other what happened, but would it be down to those minute details? I highly doubt it. Also, the last scene would be really stupid if they were not trying to imply something in it with all those flashbacks.

I doubt it too. But there’s no conclusive evidence for any of the 4 possibilities, so it’s up to us to choose the one which appeals most. I choose the story as it is told.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 26 January 2016 07:08 PM
SoccerDude28 - 26 January 2016 05:00 PM

There are 2 possibilities who the girl in the woodsman’s apartment is, based on knowing what the real Faith looks like:
A- It is Faith.

Seems to me we’re going over the same ground again. Or maybe you missed my post #62 about the 4 possibilities? http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/7243/P60/#105196

It is really really implied that the person in the first and last scene are the same person.

Oh yes! It sure is implied. Telltale throwing red herrings at us and having a ball. Gggrrr…

From the comment, “you are not as bad…”, to the hand gesture,

Nerissa has an umbrella in one hand and her bag in the other. She never makes the same hand gesture as Faith did. But our friend Bloody Mary does. Smile The exact same gesture and the words: See ya ‘round!  I’m not in any way implying BM is glamouring anyone or being glamoured (that would be a miracle Smile). But maybe those words and gestures are often used in Fabletown. 

to all the stuff that flashes back in Bigby’s head of both girls repeating the same phrases, it would be a huge coincidence, if the 2 girls repeat the same words and mannerism. One girl could have told the other what happened, but would it be down to those minute details? I highly doubt it. Also, the last scene would be really stupid if they were not trying to imply something in it with all those flashbacks.

I doubt it too. But there’s no conclusive evidence for any of the 4 possibilities, so it’s up to us to choose the one which appeals most. I choose the story as it is told.

Yeah sorry, I must have confused the hand gestures of BM with Nerissa. I think it is cool that there are multiple opinions about the ending, it leaves a lot for discussion and interpretation Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Well after 29 days I definitely failed the 8 day challenge but have now completed the ‘game’!
I call it a game reservedly as it’s more of an interactive novel with little to actually do apart from make dialogue choices and bash the ‘Q’ & other keyboard buttons on occasion! Game or not I absolutely loved the story & got so engrossed with it I was sorry when it ended & hope there will be more in the future as although the tale was concluded to a point where you know who was responsible for the murders I’m still not sure why? It never occurred to me that Faith is possibly living as Nerissa & it doesn’t quite work for me despite ‘my lips are sealed’ as there seemed to be a rapport between Bigby & Faith that doesn’t appear to translate between him & Nerissa. I love the clever way that the fairy tale characters have been interpreted & placed into a ‘modern’ if unusual setting & think the voice-acting is superb!!! .... I want more please!          Smile

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 15 February 2016 11:20 AM

Well after 29 days I definitely failed the 8 day challenge but have now completed the ‘game’!
I call it a game reservedly as it’s more of an interactive novel with little to actually do apart from make dialogue choices and bash the ‘Q’ & other keyboard buttons on occasion! Game or not I absolutely loved the story & got so engrossed with it I was sorry when it ended & hope there will be more in the future as although the tale was concluded to a point where you know who was responsible for the murders I’m still not sure why? It never occurred to me that Faith is possibly living as Nerissa & it doesn’t quite work for me despite ‘my lips are sealed’ as there seemed to be a rapport between Bigby & Faith that doesn’t appear to translate between him & Nerissa. I love the clever way that the fairy tale characters have been interpreted & placed into a ‘modern’ if unusual setting & think the voice-acting is superb!!! .... I want more please!          Smile

Glad you enjoyed it chrissie. People in the gaming industry tend to hate on Telltale games for their lack of gameplay (and rightfully so to a certain degree), but there are very few better in the game industry in telling an engaging story, and the VO’s and production values compared to other adventure games are always top notch.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top