• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday, 12 January

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I never played Omikron: The Nomad Soul, and I’ve never been what you could call a fan of David Bowie. Let me break it to you that way.

More than 15 years ago, I was sitting in a game magazine office, watching a friend playing a game for the next review. He was glued to the screen. He said to everyone: “You’ve never seen anything like it! Please, don’t give me more games to review, this game is HUGE!”. He was also a fan of David Bowie. The game was Omikron, it featured on the front cover and was a “Game of the month”.

I will never forget the look of joy on his face, and as I was watching the game over his shoulder I said to myself: “Wow, so “freedom” has truly arrived to games!”. It was the first game from Quantic Dream, and IMO still the most adventure-y regardless of action. As for David Bowie, hell, I learned of him from listening to “The Man Who Sold the World” by Nirvana! Sometimes, you don’t need to “witness” things first-hand to acknowledge their greatness. Just as I’m sure that Omikron is a good game, I know that David Bowie was a unique, great artist. And if you doubt for a second that he put part of his soul (pun intended) into game, watch this 3-minute video.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I, too, have never played Omikron. Nor am I a huge David Bowie fan. I can actually name the number of songs of his that I like without having to resort to toes. The two songs he wrote for Cat People are my favorites. Of course watching Nastasia Kinski while his song played in the background didn’t hurt.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Omikron was a true hybrid an extravagant futuristic open-world that meshed adventure/FPS/fighting game. Definitely flawed in some aspects but very ahead for it’s time. Very ambitious and that made it very interesting. Like you said, David Bowie gave a lot to this game and not just the name

Survive

Soundtrack

New Angels of Promise

I didn’t know much about David Bowie, the man, but did know his songs, grew up with them and so many of them left a mark on me. Space Oddity, Heroes, Life on Mars, Absolute Beginners, Changes, Starman, etc. Many of them attached to important moments of my life. Playing GK 2 I can’t help but feel that 150 years from now people will be playing futuristic adventure games that will feature exploration of the character and music that was Ziggy Stardust.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I haven’t played Omikron, but it’s been on my radar for a while. The David Bowie connection has a part in that.

I grew up with a music-loving dad. My childhood was filled with Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, etc.
David Bowie was a part of that - even things like his Tin Machine project. For many years, I considered David Bowie to be a great, innovative artist (and a pretty solid actor too, as evidenced by The Man Who Fell to Earth, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Labyrinth, The Prestige, etc.), but he was always more “one of my dad’s heroes” and less one of my own.
Then Tarantino’s wonderful use of Cat People (Putting Out the Fire) in Inglorious Basterds sparked a new interest in Bowie’s music for me, and in the past 5 or so years I’ve become a pretty big Bowie fan.

Yesterday’s news hit me pretty hard. Harder than I thought it would.

We’ve lost a talented artist and a fascinating man.

RIP David Bowie

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I was never a Bowie’s fan and I found Xavier Despas’s tracks in Omikron to be much superior, but the game itself is a blast. And Bowie’s character(s) fit the game’s environment perfectly.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Yes, a game in which you’re constantly changing identity and style fits pretty well with Bowie! The tone was a bit odd in places (You have to die to change identity, and one puzzle involves working out how to kill yourself so you can move on) but overall a strange, eclectic and wonderful thing. Which, you know, fits.

Plus you get to go to Bowie concerts in the game. Brilliant.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Why hasn’t anybody told me about this game before now?
Somehow it has managed to slip completely under my radar, until now Meh

Anyway I am a big fan of David Bowie, and has been ever since I kissed my first girl with Absolute Beginners (very appropriately) playing in the background.

I was very sad to hear of his death, but at least he managed to release one final album just before he died, which I’m downloading right now.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 12 January 2016 09:25 AM

I was very sad to hear of his death, but at least he managed to release one final album just before he died, which I’m downloading right now.

In retrospect that’s not entirely surprising. It often happens that artists battling terminal diseases have a bout of creativity in their final months. Death as inspiration, that kind of thing.

The Lazarus song and clip are eerie, though. Brilliant, but eerie.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Another bright thread pulled from the tapestry of our lives.

David (Jones) Bowie RIP

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for posting this game today diego - it was so appropriate & I never realised that David Bowie got involved in games & liked ‘mousing around’ along with the rest of us! Thumbs Up
I was always a fan of David Bowie if not the most ardent but hey! his music has been around since my teens & I especially liked his earlier albums & it seems that his last one goes back to roots & I love what I’ve heard so far. He’s been to me always a talented & enigmatic live artiste/performer even when I’ve not been so keen on his offering but aside from that I’m not sure despite & in view of that that I can be lured into playing Omikron!    Laughing

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I really loved this game when it came out. It’s a very interesting mix of genres and compared to the rest of the Quantic Dreams game you feel much more free in it.

By the way, it’s currently free until the 22nd on the Square Enix store. I’ve added the details of that in the stickied Discount Thread. Now hopefully that’ll lure you into playing it Chrissie Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nice of Square to do this.
David Cage wrote an interesting text about meeting and working with Bowie on game:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/01/14/quantic-dream_2700_s-david-cage-reflects-on-his-first-meeting-with-david-bowie-for-omikron.aspx

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top