• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Deponia (Adventure Shop, Steam, GamersGate) - language issues and getting it to run

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Whenever I hear about this game, I want to call it “Derponia”!

Glad it’s out on Steam. I’ll maybe pick it up during the holidays, after I finish the next few games on my queue.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2012-02-03

PM

Cyreen - 07 August 2012 08:30 PM
TrevorNZ - 07 August 2012 06:45 PM

WOW…I really do think you deserve your money back Smile

Me too!  Lol

Goldeneye - 07 August 2012 03:37 PM

I you had a version of Deponia installed other than the Steam one, you’ll have to delete the config files and the savegames folder of the game. Those versions and savegames are not compatible.

Did - I completely uninstalled the German version prior to purchasing from Steam. 

I have service tickets filed with both Steam and The Adventure Shop, but I haven’t heard back from either yet.  If I don’t hear back from The Adventure Shop within a reasonable time, I’ll try filing a complaint with Paypal to get my money back.

I really just want to play the game - in English.

Hope it all works out for you….I’m trying GamersGate at the moment so I’m hoping it’s in English and works ok Smile

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Some people over at Gameboomers had similar problems with Deponia from The Adventure shop, but they contacted The Adventure shop and were sent download links for the english version free of charge. If you have not heard from them yet, perhaps you should try e-mailing them again.
And in my browser window the language in The Adventure shop page has definitely changed to english. I don’t know about the actual downloadable game, since I have the retail version. Perhaps it has not changed in all countries yet.

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Having the same problem as Cyreen. Except it doesn’t say there’s any error or missing file.. it just exit to Windows without even starting the game.
The demo was running without a problem (and I uninstalled it prior installing full game).

Joined 2012-02-03

PM

I’m playing Deponia now, it’s a fun game….I quite like Rufus Smile

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-08-05

PM

TrevorNZ - 07 August 2012 09:04 PM
Cyreen - 07 August 2012 08:30 PM
TrevorNZ - 07 August 2012 06:45 PM

WOW…I really do think you deserve your money back Smile

Me too!  Lol

Goldeneye - 07 August 2012 03:37 PM

I you had a version of Deponia installed other than the Steam one, you’ll have to delete the config files and the savegames folder of the game. Those versions and savegames are not compatible.

Did - I completely uninstalled the German version prior to purchasing from Steam. 

I have service tickets filed with both Steam and The Adventure Shop, but I haven’t heard back from either yet.  If I don’t hear back from The Adventure Shop within a reasonable time, I’ll try filing a complaint with Paypal to get my money back.

I really just want to play the game - in English.

Hope it all works out for you….I’m trying GamersGate at the moment so I’m hoping it’s in English and works ok Smile

It’s not enough to uninstall the game.I had similar issues on my laptop where i had the german demo installed and then installed the gamersgate english version.
In order to make it run I had to erase the savegames from the previous version. In windows 7 the saves are in your home directory/AppData/Local/Daedalic

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

szaharici - 08 August 2012 08:11 AM

It’s not enough to uninstall the game.I had similar issues on my laptop where i had the german demo installed and then installed the gamersgate english version.
In order to make it run I had to erase the savegames from the previous version. In windows 7 the saves are in your home directory/AppData/Local/Daedalic

Thanks Szaharici! That worked Smile

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m moving this thread over to Hints & Tech since it’s mainly technical (there should still be a redirect in the Adventure forum). I hope those who accidentally bought in German are able to get the issue resolved, it’s a good game!

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Deponia is a very good game! I would recommend the Lace Mamba Global retail edition to those of you who live in the UK. I here reviewed it on my website here if anyone wants to take a look. Grin

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

szaharici - 08 August 2012 08:11 AM

Excellent, thank you!  That worked.

Two days after releasing a German version of Deponia, despite my request for a refund, The Adventure Shop has rectified their mistake.  I won’t be downloading the English version from them and I won’t buy from them again.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Cyreen - 08 August 2012 04:50 PM

I won’t be downloading the English version from them and I won’t buy from them again.

Good for you. Their prices are too high as well. I will never ever buy digital downloads from a site that has the 1 US dollar = 1 Euro policy.  Angry

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-02-03

PM

I got a e-mail from the Adventure Shop with the links for the english version of Deponia but I ended up getting it from GamersGate it’s a shame I can’t give it to someone as it’s a waste of a fun game Smile

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

As expected, The Adventure Shop has refused to refund because I activated the German version.  Never again.

I do like the game (purchased on Steam) so far, love the artwork, although I’m pretty sure I’ve dated Rufus.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Fien - 08 August 2012 10:08 PM
Cyreen - 08 August 2012 04:50 PM

I won’t be downloading the English version from them and I won’t buy from them again.

Good for you. Their prices are too high as well. I will never ever buy digital downloads from a site that has the 1 US dollar = 1 Euro policy.  Angry

Why not use the US store then? Wink

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

Cyreen - 09 August 2012 01:20 PM

As expected, The Adventure Shop has refused to refund because I activated the German version.  Never again.

I do like the game (purchased on Steam) so far, love the artwork, although I’m pretty sure I’ve dated Rufus.

You started a thread on the Steam forums saying you couldn’t get it to run. Mind updating the thread with what you did to fix it?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top