• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 13 December 2018 02:48 AM

For most people, the categorization is what determines whether something is good and fun. I have yet to meet anyone who’s an exception.

But here we’re talking about categories with some amount of overlap. The overlapping stuff blurs the lines for the categorisation, making it less and less important, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, other Tim, you’re kind of right on this one. But there is the obvious elephant in the room, which was presented in Jack’s Brother Rabbit review. And that elephant is the word Casual. There are people who will be predisposed to dislike a game and, not only refuse to play it, but purposely refuse to enjoy it if they do play it simply because it has the Casual moniker attached to it.

But, if you change that moniker to Adventure-Lite, the very same game becomes more accessible and enjoyable. And if you change the moniker to Adventure, the very same game gets rave reviews. There is no better example of this than ECC.

As you know, I’ve been trying to promote the genre for many years. Hard to break the barrier.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I play all kind of games. On the DS I played many casual games. The PS VITA on the other hand had numerous visual novels.

I enjoy them all.  And some of the very best games ever released incorporate all these genres well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Seeing as I’m not playing anything right now, I decided to go back and play a few of the really good casuals.There’s one, Enigmatis - The Mists of Ravenwood, that I haven’t replayed since we played it as a community playthrough. Which is probably three or four years ago.

I had forgotten how really good it is. More hidden object scenes than in Enigmatis 3, But as far as the other factors are concerned, e.g., story, characters, graphics, etc., it holds its own very well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I think Ravenwood is the best of the trilogy despite the hidden object scenes. I re-played Ghosts of Maple Creek last month; I enjoyed it because of the atmosphere and the strong story despite the heavy preponderance of hidden object scenes in that one.

Sadly I haven’t seen any new games that I am interested in at all.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sad, but true!

I’ll try to post a list of games I played in 2018 that I think merit a try. It may not be a very long list.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I’m in the same boat…few of the newer casuals have piqued my interest. So, I also have been replaying some older games from the library, like the Final Cut series. In the middle of “Encore” now and I’m re-enjoying it muchly!  Smile

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I will have to look into the Final Cut series. I think I’ve played one game, but don’t remember what it was.

There may be some hope here. Even it’s an older game. And it’s a good game, it is certainly worth going back to take a look.

Edit: The game I played was Death on the Silver Screen and I enjoyed it immensely. A VERY long game. And with the CE version required to finish the game, I think it took me close to 12 hours to get through it. I’ve strongly recommended it on several occasions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was a bit surprised by the number of casuals I played in 2018. I played 22 and probably played at least that many demos. So, at least 22 additional games were played as demos, but didn’t make the cut that justified a purchase.

The games I played are in alphabetical order because that’s all that BFG offers.

I would like to give a comment on all of them, but many of these games I simply don’t remember playing. The demo was good enough to justify a purchase, but the game was not good enough to register in my memory. Make of it what you will.

Bridge to Another World: Through the Looking Glass

Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe’s Morella

Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe’s The Pit and the Pendulum I’ve liked this series, but it has gone downhill. However, this is a fairly good game if you ignore the fact that it has nothing to do with EAP’s story.

Edge of Reality: Fatal Luck Good game

Edge of Reality: Hunter’s Legacy

Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game I think I liked this game

League of Light: The Game Really good game. Long, with many intriguing puzzles.

Living Legends: Uninvited Guests OK game if you can get past the preposterous premise.

Maze: Stolen Minds OK, but not nearly as good as 360 or Broken Tower

Mystery Case Files: The Countess
Mystery Case Files: The Revenant’s Hunt
These two are both OK, but if you’re looking for Ravenhurst or Dire Grove quality, look elsewhere

Mystery Tales: The Other Side No memory

PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Strange. Even though this game is more than well past the 3rd game and downhill slide, I actually enjoyed it.

Mystery Trackers: Darkwater Bay The chihuahua sidekick is alive and well. Not much else.

Secret City: London Calling Good game. Good puzzles. Maybe a bit too much backtracking. But there is a map.

Tales of Terror: The Fog of Madness No memory

The Andersen Accounts: Chapter One Collector’s Edition A really fun game. In fact there’s a new one out on BFG that I intend to buy The CE is worth it.

The Legacy: Prisoner No memory

The Legacy: The Tree of Might OK, if you can get past the prospect of a sentient tree taking over the world.

The Myth Seekers: The Legacy of Vulcan I really like this game.

Vermillion Watch: In Blood
Vermillion Watch: London Howling
I have enjoyed this series. And I liked these games. But they are coming dangerously close to jumping the shark.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 14 February 2019 09:15 PM

League of Light: The Game Really good game. Long, with many intriguing puzzles.

A candidate to resurrect the Casual Community Playthrough???

Just a thought.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I gave up on running the voting. Too few participants. Too little interest. Too few nominations. Since the voting rules were slightly different for the CCPT, I could declare a winner at the end of day five because there had been no new votes or nominations for three consecutive days. Pretty much what the AGCPT scene was before the current resurrection.

I wouldn’t mind having a playthrough of this game, and I’ll lead it. I’m just not ready to endure the hassles of running it unless there is sufficient feedback from a “group” of people that say they’re interested.

Or if five people say “Let’s play it!,” we can just go for a flash playthrough. I can’t see it lasting more than two weeks of actual game play. And that’s allowing two days for every chapter. Could be shorter.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Hey Tim, did you play the SE or CE version of League of Light: The Game?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the SE. I looked at a YouTube video of the bonus game, and didn’t think it was worth the extra cost. Others might have a different opinion.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 15 February 2019 06:31 PM

Or if five people say “Let’s play it!,” we can just go for a flash playthrough. I can’t see it lasting more than two weeks of actual game play. And that’s allowing two days for every chapter. Could be shorter.

I’d be up for that!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Only need four more. I think LadyK and chrissie might join. But I certainly don’t want to do anything that would detract from the Obra Dinn playthrough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top