• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I recently finished Written Legends: Nightmare at Sea.  I’m really not sure what possessed me to pick it up, but it was the weekly deal at BFG recently.  In short, the HOG scenes are OK.  The graphics are not up to the quality of more recent top casual games.  Music is OK.  The main things the game has going for it are the plot which I found pretty interesting and unique and also the setting, which takes place entirely underwater which makes it different than the usual.  Overall, I thought it was an average game.  OK to pick up on sale, but I wouldn’t pay full price.  I can’t remember the developer.

Also, since there’s a new thread asking for Halloween recommendations, I’ll throw the question out to the casual crowd.  Can anyone recommend a casual game that they think is especially suited to play for Halloween?  Obviously, a lot of these games are spooky and supernatural, but are there any that are actually scary? Or actually take place on Halloween?

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Of all the games I’ve played, the one I would most think of as “Halloween-ish” is Phantasmat.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

The last Ravenhearst game was pretty creepy… might be good for Halloween?

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

Odessess: The Long Way Home was on sale yesterday. I thought about it for a long time and finally gave it a try.  Turned out the music that was so pretty in the video was almost non-existent in the game, and that was the one thing I was looking forward to. The flapping lips with no sound was irritating to say the least. HOS’s didn’t have any inconsistencies that I notices and were clear and easy to see. It was the trying to make a casual game out of an epic story that failed, it was just plain boring.
This one is a definite no buy for me even at $3.00.

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

For Halloween I would recommend Dark Fall: Lights Out, it certainly scared me. But then I’m pretty wimpy anyway.

Sorry, that’s not casual. I can’t think of a casual game that actually scared me.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Picked up the demos of Agency of Anamolies: Cinderstone Orphanage and Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can today. Hoping to finish one of them to evaluate for the Buy one, Get one free sale at BFG. If one seems remotely good, I’ll pair it with Escape the Emerald Star straight HOG game.

Think I said earlier that I will likely play five or more demos to get one purchase. Think I have exceeded the limit on this pass. But I have hope that one of the above will be buy-worthy.

I don’t know if BFG monitors the various venues, such as AG, where their games are discussed. Probably not, but I found it interesting that, while I was downloading the above games, I got a “Games you will love” message that included the two games I reviewed as absolutely horrible.

Actually, I didn’t “review” them. I just said that after 15 minutes of demo time, I just gave up on them. To me, that’s a pretty good review of what I thought of the game(s).

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

I’m always getting those recommendations on games I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. It seems someone’s idea of a similar game to what you are downloading or have bought, I often wonder how they came to the conclusion it was similar. About the only thing that is similar is that they are casual games.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The ‘Games you will love’ is nothing more than comparing similar tags added by the person that uploads the game. Oh, you’re playing a horror game? Here’s another horror game. Simple as that.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I thought the two-for-one sale at BFG lasted through today. Oops! Ended yesterday.

That said, I played the demo of Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can and found it very good. I bought it with a credit and am really enjoying it. Mumbo Jumbo, the same group that brought out the Midnight Mysteries games is the developer.

I will write a review when I’m finished. But here is a recommendation: Download the demo. If you don’t think the opening tracking sequence isn’t the best you’ve ever seen, I’ll eat crow or Spam Whatever you think I deserve. You don’t even have to play the rest of the demo. Just watch the opening.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

The Deal of the Week at Big Fish Games this week is F.A.C.E.S.  It’s on sale for $2.99 (you don’t have to be a member to get this price).  I remember lots of people on this forum saying it was one of their favorite casuals back in the day, so I’m going to pick it up.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

rtrooney - 08 October 2012 07:10 PM

I thought the two-for-one sale at BFG lasted through today. Oops! Ended yesterday.

That said, I played the demo of Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can and found it very good. I bought it with a credit and am really enjoying it. Mumbo Jumbo, the same group that brought out the Midnight Mysteries games is the developer.

I will write a review when I’m finished. But here is a recommendation: Download the demo. If you don’t think the opening tracking sequence isn’t the best you’ve ever seen, I’ll eat crow or Spam Whatever you think I deserve. You don’t even have to play the rest of the demo. Just watch the opening.

Told you the game was awesome.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Monolith - 09 October 2012 03:31 AM

Told you the game was awesome.

I knew somebody recommended the game. But a search through the messages didn’t reveal who it was. Maybe I just didn’t go back far enough. Anyway, I agree that it’s great. Thanks! Although I am having a bit of a problem very late in the game. That is, I was allowed to return to London without performing a task, i.e., putting the shower curtain on the pipe in front of the tunnel. I’m in London, but can’t give the dress pieces or ring to Kelly. So I appear to be stuck with no way to go back and no way to go forward. I may post a message on BFG to see if anyone has been in the same situation, and if there is a solution.

That said, this game has great replay value, so it isn’t as if I won’t finish eventually.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nevermind. Found a way to get to the end. This game is so good. I recommend to everyone, as did Monolith.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Played the Agency of Anamolies: Cinderstone Orphanage demo today. Looks like it might be interesting.

Premise is that some sort of disaster happened at the Cinderstone Orphanage. The orphanage housed a mentor along with orphans all of whom posess paranormal abilities. Your objective is to restore to the various characters that which makes them happy. I only made it through the first two characters, the mentor and a male orphan. In the first case, it was restoring her library. In the second, it was restoring his love of music.

When happiness is restored, you are imbued with their paranormal ability.

In the first two instances those abilities were the ability to make small things large, and the ability to see through walls. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think these two abilities could be the plot of a whole new casual game. And one that won’t be G-rated on BFG. Naughty

The demo was pretty good. Graphics, voice acting, music, sound etc, were all pretty good. But nothing really jumped out at me that said I should break the budget this month. This is one of those games that I probably will buy. But it’s not one that will move to the front of the list unless there is a really good sale. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening until Turkey Day.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

Just finished “Witch’s Legacy: Charlston Curse”, loved the doorknob with the cold.  I would like to see more use of whimseys like that. The imp was nice too, he could have had a little more animation.

There are setting for sounds and difficulty; I worked on advanced which was with out sparkles and it certainly was with out any.  My main difficulty was not noticing when there was a HOS and having to backtrack to find that item I needed.  Finally started using the “sweep the screen at every move” before moving on to the next screen.
The game was long and winding with a lot of back tracking; no map, so you need your walking shoes. My lack of finding all the HOS certainly added to the walking. It is puzzle heavy with a good lot of HOS thrown in, they are slightly interactive.  The puzzles are not terribly difficult, I managed most of them with out help and I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Graphics, sounds and animations were good, I loved the music. Story is pretty much the usual save the kid thing, but more interesting than average due in part to the whimseys.

For me it was a good buy, a fun and interesting game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top