• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04KeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday, 28 September

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Nanobots

(apologies for slightly blurry screenshot, I’m having more re-sizing troubles)

Silghtly stretching the definition of “Adventure” this week (or fitting squarely into it depending on your viewpoint!) is 2008’s Nanobots from Erin Robinson. It’s worth pointing out that this is the freeware precursor to the commercial “Puzzlebots” (published by Wadjet Eye) which you can find on steam and elsewhere.

In terms of gameplay, Nanobots is reminiscent of Gobliiins in that you control a group of robots who each have a “special ability” which may or may not be needed to solve the puzzle on screen before you. Puzzles are fun and vary in difficulty with some presenting a fair old challenge.

In terms of story you play as (well… sort of…) Groovy Greg, a student at Robot university, who is trying to build robots who are capable of loving. He creates the Nanobots, each with its own special ability, who are supposed to work together solve tasks, prove Greg’s theory and get him his degree! Unfortunately, they’re more inclined to fight than co-operate and Greg is at his wit’s end.

However, when they are left alone by Greg a threat to their very existence materialises and they must work together to escape! …or will they? That is, of course, up to you to determine as you control the robots through various challenges in their way.

I should say that the screenshot above is not necessarily the best looking in the game (not by a long way) - but I did want to show the control scheme in a visible manner and all the bots, which that shot does, but at the expense of making the game look worse than it really does look.

There are lots of little fun touches to this game, such as the way the bots will talk to each other on some of the interactions and just getting to know the limitations and strengths of the separate bots is enjoyable.

If it does feel slightly like a trial run for a bigger game then that is because it is, as the commercial “Puzzle Bots” proves, but just like the first Portal game - which is lots of learning without as much practical use of the skills acquired as you might hope - that doesn’t mean it isn’t enjoyable (or in the case of portal one of the best games ever made).

If you like this game, then puzzle bots is both a worthwhile improvement and a no-brainer. Get it into your steam library!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve played Puzzle Bots and enjoyed it. There’s nothing else out there quite like it (at least, that I know of). I was hoping there’d be a sequel, but I haven’t heard or seen anything that would indicate one, unfortunately. The game is also available on Big Fish, and it’s casual-ish enough that I thought it would do well there.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top