• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

I either like (Chains of Satinav, Harvey’s New Eyes, Whispered World) or love (Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, Memoria, Deponia 1&2) Daedalic’s output but because they seem to always be on the verge of giving us a true classic, I agree that they might need to slow down a bit in order to do so. The glitches, some overlong dialogues in need of editing and the overall sloppiness (such as leaving lines unstranslated and poor performance optimization) are what mainly holds them back, in my opinion. I could live with one less game from them per year if it means spending more time polishing the other 2-3 to sparkling level.

They got the stories, the puzzles and the visuals pretty much nailed down, it’s a shame not to walk that extra half a mile to greatness.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

maladroid - 02 October 2013 09:23 PM

They got the stories, the puzzles and the visuals pretty much nailed down, it’s a shame not to walk that extra half a mile to greatness.

do I agree with that big time!

I can accept everything they give the only one that makes having some negative feelings about each new is the character movements , I can believe they still working with that one character 8 positions (compass) of art-work they started with 5 years ago!

I am totally biased with the 2guys (just an example) but when I played their Demo (yea yea it is buggy and Shit) I was amazed with work made into his movements style .

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think Daedalic future is turning mysterious or rather dark; with their Collaboration with Irresponsible Games in the development of 1954: Alcatraz or the Publishing of KoboldGames’s Journey of a Roach .

And all that is not the main reason to my worries , Daedalic haven’t announced any new game for more than year and a half ; all the games we have witnessed thru 2013 and late-2012 were previously announced (or the least planned) which expands a big question mark over their future* with AGs??
they always used to announce or share their developments news of every new upcoming adventure, but now look at 2014, one cant even find one AG set for it!!

I think they might kinda equivalently filling that void with those publishing processes/releases ?? using their capability to translate/overdub their games into 6 or 7 languages until whatever being cooked is ready? , not to forget their new aim for also giving RPGs, which is sorta growing bigger each year!!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Considering the great reviews they keep getting for their AG’s, I’d be surprised if they’re planning on abandoning them, but then again, doing so seems to be a trend as an AG developer gains popularity Confused I’d rather see them working on a new AG title than the turn based RPG Blackguards.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Advie - 25 October 2013 09:59 PM

And that is not the main reason for my worries , Daedalic haven’t announced any new games for more than one year and a half ; all the games we have witnessed 2013 and late 2012 were previously announced (or a least planned) which expands a big question mark over their future with AGs??
they always used to announce their developments on every new adventure, but now look at 2014, one cant even find one AG set for it!!

it doesnt feel out of the ordinary to me. Really most of their titles lately they havnt announced until theyr within several months of releasing them, and even then they dont give release dates until theyr within a couple weeks of releasing them.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zane are you missing the point here?
there a big deference between the release date and the announcement of a new Ag on the horizon

they dont give release dates until theyr within a couple weeks of releasing them.

all those you are talking about even were already known previously

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

night of the rabbit was announced just 3 months before it released (and the release date was announced even more sudden). The point is theyv been getting in the habit of not talking about what theyr working on far in advance. So it wouldn’t be surprising if they had a few titles lined up for 2014 that they aren’t ready to talk about.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t think there is anything to be worried about. Yes it would be nice to know what they are planning of future releases or at the very least that they are planning future AG releases, but at least we know that a 3rd game in The Dark Eye series has been planned right from the start.

Also with the success of previous titles (though I don’t know the sales figures), it would surprise me a lot if they suddenly decided to abandon AG, or for that matter go in the same direction as Telltale (god forbid it )

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zane - 27 October 2013 01:02 AM

night of the rabbit was announced just 3 months before it released (and the release date was announced even more sudden).

False. The game was announced in August 2012, more than 9 months before its release (it was called ‘The Rabbit’s Apprentice’ back then), and the release date (as well as the title change) was announced in February, a full 3 months before the release…

1954: Alcatraz was announced even BEFORE The Rabbit’s Apprentice was (June 2012), and that’s still not released…

On the other hand, they have released quite a few games this year (with Alcatraz still upcoming), so it’s perfectly possible that all their next games are still relatively early in their development, so they’ll probably be reluctant to announce too much too soon.
I’m sure we’ll see more announcements from them in the future.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

There’s some gameplay footage for 1954: Alcatraz here -

Graphically-wise, it looks much better than I suspected (I also love the overhead map). There seems to be much more dialogs than real puzzles in this video for my taste, but it’s too early to make conclusions.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

check the link diego , its something else.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ooops, fixed! Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve expressed my distaste for adventure developers switching to 3D a few times on this forum, and I had trouble finding words to express my disappointment when I first learned that Daedalic was going 3D, but I gotta say… Silence - TWW2 looks really good! I’ve never seen such a successful attempt at maintaining a painterly feel in a 3D environment. I’m beginning to get quite excited about this!

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

While I too thought it was a mistake to switch from the 2D (perhaps the best 2D graphic creators in AG history) to 3D, especially in the sequel of TWW (perhaps the best 2D graphics ever created IMO), after this last trailer I admit that maybe they know what they are doing. It is some kind of “pseydo 3D” or more accurately, they managed to retain the 2D feeling within a limited 3D environment. I like it. Still not sure if this will prove as successful as their 2D ones, but it seems it’s worth a try. Smile In Daedelic we trust.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Sefir - 11 January 2014 09:19 PM

perhaps the best 2D graphic creators in AG history

I agree, which is why I was so upset initially. On occasion, I’ve jokingly thought to myself “the day Daedalic switches to 3D (oh yeah, I saw it coming), I don’t wanna live anymore”, and then I read the headline “Daedalic is going 3D”! And not only were they going 3D, but they were doing it with the sequel to my favourite modern 2D game. I was devastated! Tongue But you’re right, they really do seem to know what they’re doing Smile

In Daedalic we trust

Indeed. Especially when it comes to the graphical department Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top