• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

shanethewolfUndefined

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 13 May 2016 12:17 PM

That’s a good idea advie. May I borrow it for a new thread? (or you can start it)  Laughing

When you do, add pics too, I know its cumbersome but well…

Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 13 May 2016 12:22 PM
nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 12:00 PM

Can practically there be a game that can satisfy both TTG and puzzle lovers crowd?

I think if the story ..... I know as I’m one of them.

Ofcourse.

But my question wasnt for those who are easy to please by either X or Y.
Its X and Y both.
Because here alot of people hate TTG even KQ for not being puzzly enough.
While mainstream considers puzzles as obstruction.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 12:00 PM

Can practically there be a game that can satisfy both TTG and puzzle lovers crowd?

Sure - They are called adventure games, have existed for almost 40 years and there have been released thousands of them over the years Wink
(At least I don’t see any good reasons why (many of) the TTG crowd also shouldn’t enjoy adventure games if they gave them a try)

Oscar - 13 May 2016 11:49 AM

Hmm, maybe. Although, wouldn’t they say “no puzzles” if that were the case? Not “no inventory puzzles”?

There might still be a few puzzles or perhaps just simple tasks, but if you read what have been revealed about it, it is fairly obvious that we shouldn’t expect a puzzle heavy game. So, in the TTG direction, but not necessarily the full monty!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 13 May 2016 04:01 AM

Anna’s Quest should be added to this (ages old, but still….) poll. It is one of their best, if not the best, game Daedelic made.

it wasn’t exactly developed by Daedalic Sefir, same as Dead Synchronicity.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 12:56 PM

Its X and Y both.

Sorry, I missed the point in that you’re suggesting games in the vein of TTG with the inclusion of puzzles as well to satisfy all? .... I’m thinking….

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 13 May 2016 03:03 PM
nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 12:56 PM

Its X and Y both.

Sorry, I missed the point in that you’re suggesting games in the vein of TTG with the inclusion of puzzles as well to satisfy all? .... I’m thinking….

Yes

And
Iznogood,

Ofcourse i meant contemporary market and current era when i said puzzle as obstruction,
back in the day people were not that bothered, or had interest/pie chart division among family/job as excuse or reality like today.
Almost all Devs(nowadays) hold that view that we want our gamers to finish the game not backlog it.
So its amazing how Witness managed to sell, however again not heavy on story so one bit gone missing.

Frankly when i finished UC4 it wasnt the best story in the genre esp i enjoyed The new beginning story more, but there is a reason why UC4 story is praised.
Production quality and automated agency.
Similarly Metro series was better but you know its not UC.

The reason why i compare and put general games in discussions because line is getting quite blurred and non existant in genres.
Action adventures using xps, skilltrees of rpgs, some have auto platforming, auto cover, so its hardly platformer.
Stealth horror are AGs like Soma.

You cannot easily make puzzle oriented game without losing chunk of customers or unless making puzzles attractive but hard.
Again why UC4 puzzles are full of hints and linearity.
UC4 has only 40% combat.

Must read,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-11-combat-fatigues-how-uncharted-is-a-walking-simulator-in-action-games-clothing

Glad someone mentioned it because i felt like i played Dcage stealth/shooter game but better written.

So coming back full circle to Martin game who loved TotheMoon for a reason, you have Daedalic game emphasizing Story. Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 03:55 PM

Must read,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-11-combat-fatigues-how-uncharted-is-a-walking-simulator-in-action-games-clothing

The hell? I’m not going to read until I finish the game but that is a terrible title. Now a game with good pacing suddenly is part walking simulator?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 13 May 2016 04:17 PM
nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 03:55 PM

Must read,

The hell? I’m not going to read until I finish the game but that is a terrible title. Now a game with good pacing suddenly is part walking simulator?

Well the relevant bit,

a world that’s already seen the likes of Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, 30 Flights of Loving and Dear Esther, such bold pacing practices aren’t quite as shocking as they were back in 2009. Yet Uncharted 4, for all its bombast, often feels more akin to those games than any of its big budget contemporaries.

yet, no one seemed to mind. Part of this is because it looks exciting. Naughty Dog’s penchant for slick action choreography is so captivating the player doesn’t even notice that they barely have any input on what’s happening (if they have any at all). But on a purely mechanical level, leading Drake up through a boxcar dangling off a cliff is no more interactive than selecting Henry’s potentially flirtatious dialogue in Firewatch or guiding Kaitlin Greenbriar through her family’s new abode in Gone Home.

Sometimes you simply watch cutscenes and have zero input whatsoever. The rest of the time you’re being funnelled through intentionally frictionless scripted puzzles or button-tapping your way through automated platforming sequences. Technically you’re still “playing” the game, but your agency is left out of your hand

He has a point.
And going by uc4 reception and Twd goty awards, or Journey goty awards, people get more profound effect by story and experience than gamedesign, mechanics or agency.
Oh it touched me so much, Goty.

I think if puzzles in UC series will get harder or shooting , people would still play or try to finish it but Devs dont even push for it.
TR had more mind bending block puzzles back in the day.
Puzzles, block or otherwise,nowadays are as casual as platforming or stealth(instinct mode).

But again what difficulty levels will please fans of old AGs here.
If i will give UC puzzles to many here, they wont be happy challenge wise.
When that happens it becomes con, not value addition.
Hence its better to avoid like TTG or Martin, avoiding false expectations from the outset.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 07:13 PM

And going by uc4 reception and Twd goty awards, or Journey goty awards, people get more profound effect by story and experience than gamedesign, mechanics or agency.

Just because there is a number of people who plays games with zero gameplay or challenge, then it would be a false conclusion to conclude that all they want are games with a good story but zero gameplay - It is unfortunately exactly that conclusion many developers has made Meh

If we look at adventure games, then I simply don’t buy the premise that there is a large group that don’t want any puzzles in their AG. There might be a large group that don’t like old-style artificial road blocks, but might still enjoy puzzles if they are well integrated into the story, and there might be another group that only play easy games, but neither is the same as they don’t want puzzles at all.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 14 May 2016 06:01 AM
nomadsoul - 13 May 2016 07:13 PM

Just because there is a number of people who plays games with zero gameplay or challenge, then it would be a false conclusion to conclude that all they want are games with a good story but zero gameplay - It is unfortunately exactly that conclusion many developers has made Meh

If we look at adventure games, then I simply don’t buy the premise that there is a large group that don’t want any puzzles in their AG. There might be a large group that don’t like old-style artificial road blocks, but might still enjoy puzzles if they are well integrated into the story, and there might be another group that only play easy games, but neither is the same as they don’t want puzzles at all.

The only 2 AGs that got Gotys and took all by storm are Twd and Journey, they werent 2D pncs. They cant be . Mainstream loves automated stuff like UC and Asscreed for a reason.
Maybe one day we will get Darksouls3 type true to genre hard game in our AG genre with 3mill sales.
But this series itself was bankrolled by mega publisher and marketing to reach such fanbase.
We are talking about industry that avoid putting guns and black person on the coverart.
This indistry follows success and trends, Hence Daedalic following Tothemoon or TTG.
TTG itself followed QDream success.
And noone following BrokenAge success of making 3mill Pnc but success of KS ironically.

And i said old style or puzzles hampering progress not easy ones integrated well, KQ integrated them well enough but still get hate here by purists.

Edit:

Made a separate topic with poll.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I haven’t played Journey (nor KQ 2015) so I can’t comment on that, but I don’t in any way consider TWD to be an adventure game, but that is another story ...

My point here is that if you ask the players that loved TWD, what it is they loved about it, then I’m fairly certain the answer would be “I loved the strong story” and NOT “I loved how there was no obstacles or challenges to slow down my progress”, yet the latter seems to be the lesson that many developers has taken away from this - and that is a pity imo.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

back to nomadsoul earlier inquiry and the thread subject; 
i think its sorta impossible nowaday that Deadalic(classical adventure gaming) could appeal to ttg lover but not necessarily vice versa ,  and that is because ttg story driven games diminish out the player patience , and what is an adventurer without patience .

2ndly and i hope no call me biased i think AGs same as TMoS should appeal to both ends of the table; looking for a great story and lots of adventuring obstacles

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

for who have missed the updates of this new Daedalic’s game that will be soon released/published: Candle (fire and now candle? ) of a new indie Spanish developer Teku Studio.

Making of
Gameplaying (spoliers)
Interview with dev

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 09 July 2016 03:33 AM

for who have missed the updates of this new the Daedalic’s game that will be soon released/published: Candle (fire and now candle? ) of a new indie Spanish developer Teku Studio.

Making of
Gameplaying (spoliers)
Interview with dev

It’s one of those kickstarters that went completely off-the-rails with delays but I’m glad it’s getting done with Daedalic help in the end, the game looked good from the beginning.
In one of the last updates they talked about 15h to finish the game, pretty lengthy.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What happened to Daedalic page? It doesn’t have any info on their titles. And why are they talking about Machinarium and Tales of the Monkey Island? They published them in Germany?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top