• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #11 - F.A.C.E.S.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s time to finish the game.  If you have the CE, it’ll add another hour of gameplay and an interesting twist to the story.  You should be able to finish by Sunday, August 9.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Not finished yet, but just popping in to say that I loved the jigsaw puzzle on the TV screen. Especially since I’ve been in a bit of a jigsaw mood lately. It hit the spot. (I just wish it was more difficult.)

I’ve advanced far enough to have met Patient X aka our father. Can’t say I saw that twist coming.
My distrust for the hypnotic guy on floor 2 seems somewhat founded. I though it was ridiculous that we so eagerly burn a voodoo doll made with a picture of our own father. I was convinced that burning that doll would kill him so I went to check up on him IMMEDIATELY.
Good thing he was still alive - I feared the worst and personally would NEVER have burned that doll. And now I have the key to the medicine room, so I can cure the Angel.

I’m ready to theorize that the hypnotic guy is Dr. Luther himself, and by talking to him, we may be under his spell now...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the game. I’m now near the end of the small chapter in CE that I strangely find even creepier than the original game.
Especially our new….friend.

About the small chapter’s story: The use of her abilities to bring back her dog through a phot despite its death brought this….fallen angel in her house instead.... I find it simple, smart and touching the same time.

TimovieMan - 07 August 2015 05:46 PM

I though it was ridiculous that we so eagerly burn a voodoo doll made with a picture of our own father.

No, no no. What I thought we did was that we gave the voodoo doll with the photo of our father to the “mage” and he gave us another doll to burn. It doesn’t change the fact that it is a WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING??? moment. The mage probably wanted these “ingredients” for a reason. Being a telepath, it is not entirely out of the question that he thinks our father equally responsible of all these and wants to torment him for it.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 08 August 2015 03:50 AM

No, no no. What I thought we did was that we gave the voodoo doll with the photo of our father to the “mage” and he gave us another doll to burn. It doesn’t change the fact that it is a WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING??? moment. The mage probably wanted these “ingredients” for a reason. Being a telepath, it is not entirely out of the question that he thinks our father equally responsible of all these and wants to torment him for it.

Right you are. Totally misinterpreted that. Still, dad’s still in trouble, and we still probably killed someone for that key.

I still think that the Mage could be the infamous Dr. Luther, and that there maybe is more going on still behind the scenes of our escape.

Reached the ending. Was surprised at how much of a non-ending it really is. And can someone explain how that many cops are already there when we step outside? There were no working phones, so we didn’t call them.

I’ve also watched the CE bonus chapter on a YouTube Let’s Play. Pretty long chapter, imo. A lot of bonus value. And it’s a lot creepier than the main game, too.
Still no resolution to the story, though. Frown

Is there a sequel in the works, or do they intend to keep things entirely open?

About the small chapter’s story: The use of her abilities to bring back her dog through a phot despite its death brought this….fallen angel in her house instead.... I find it simple, smart and touching the same time.

I fully agree. They could have distilled a great full game out of that, imo. It’s even better than the rogue military project - more potential because of the emotions involved.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I still don’t see where that “dark angel” came from. I don’t see anything particularly evil about a child wanting to bring her puppy back to life. I don’t even consider it particularly ‘selfish” when the child is unaware there is any risk involved. What happened with the “resurrected” puppy anyway? Did it turn into zombie puppy like that image suggested or was that the protagonist’s imagination? If it turned into zombie puppy, what did they do with it? Did they somehow destroy it or was it unleashed upon an unsuspecting world?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have also finished the game now.

TimovieMan - 08 August 2015 09:07 AM

Right you are. Totally misinterpreted that. Still, dad’s still in trouble, and we still probably killed someone for that key.

I must confess that I never gave it a second though, when I gave him the material for a new doll, or burned the old voodoo doll.
When he asks for the material we don’t yet know that it is actually a voodoo doll that he is planing to make, just that it is a doll, which I didn’t find odd at all as he is clearly crazy.
And as for burning the old doll, well worst case it is made to represent one of the bad guys that captured us, so .. to hell with that. Besides it was just an old discarded doll, so I never really gave it a second thought.
Meh

I still think that the Mage could be the infamous Dr. Luther, and that there maybe is more going on still behind the scenes of our escape.

Personally I just saw him as another poor victim who had gone completely crazy from the torture he had been subjected to. That he could be evil or even one of the antagonists, was something that never crossed my mind, but I guess that it is possible.

Reached the ending. Was surprised at how much of a non-ending it really is. And can someone explain how that many cops are already there when we step outside? There were no working phones, so we didn’t call them.

Yeah, that “It wasn’t the end, but only the beginning” or whatever, felt kind of cheap and unsatisfying.
As for the police, then the winged boy escaped before we did, so he could have called the police, or they could simply have been investigating our kidnapping and followed the clues to the asylum themselves, it is not like they were master criminals that didn’t leave any clues behind, in fact there was an abundance of clues pointing directly to the asylum.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You beat me to the punch with that picture, Sefir.  I was saving it until tomorrow. Pan

Crabapple,
It’s always been a major premise in fiction that if you bring something back from the dead you risk bringing back evil.  The dark angel preyed upon the woman’s guilt about not telling her father, and it wasn’t until she accepted it and knew her father had forgiven her that she was able to defeat it.

I also wondered about the police at the end of the main game.  Maybe the father was able to summon them because we freed his abilities, not only his own but also those that had been taken from the other patients.  I also wondered who gave her the photo and why. 

At the very end of the CE, we see that one of Dr. Luther’s goons is tailing her, but I don’t think a sequel was ever made.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve also watched the CE bonus chapter on a YouTube Let’s Play. Pretty long chapter, imo. A lot of bonus value. And it’s a lot creepier than the main game, too.
Still no resolution to the story, though. Frown

Could you post that link? I was unable to find it on YouTube.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve finished the SE version of the game & I’m not sure on reading the comments that I regret not buying the CE version as I don’t agree with the additional chapter being either a necessity to making more sense of a story or making it more complicated!

I found the ending with all of the police turning up immediately satisfying & then it was a case of what?........as it didn’t then seem quite right? I’m guessing/hoping that there’s a sequel in the works!

There were quite a few puzzles I just didn’t like & skipped but there were a couple I liked very much such as the railway control & the headlamp ones!

I never saw it coming as Patient X being ‘dad’ – that was a shocker for sure!

As for the doll you burnt – you got that in exchange for giving the telepathic man pins, cloth & a pic of your father ......there was no mention of voodoo (although it alludes to that) so you don’t know whether he was using whatever for good or bad purposes but he had telepathic abilities & possibly needed these ‘tools’.........maybe he was the one that ‘called the police’ via them?  He also seemed to care about the ‘levitating man’ enough for you to get the key (from the burning doll?) to access medicine to free him…...

I’m expecting a sequel? But otherwise it’s been a very interesting game to play,  I’ve appreciated & took note of all of the comments from the participants & thank you Lady kestrel for (yet again) being our wonderful guardian angel on this playthrough!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

So… Why wasn’t I flown to sunset on the arms of that hottie angel man? Crazy

It certainly was a non-ending. Kinda ominous one though, the police showing a photo on her face right off the bat. Nasty people always abusing people’s abilities.

I at least found this video from the bonus chapter, haven’t watched it fully yet myself.

Patient X was a nice twist with the origins and relationship to protagonist.

About the doll: right at the start I didn’t think about the doll, but when I had the materials aka pins and a photo, I kinda figured it out. Didn’t feel very nice giving him the photo of my dad but oh well, dad was rooting for our escape anyway, not his own. And while I did pick up on the “exchange of dolls” I did still need to go and check if I burned my dad by burning the doll.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 08 August 2015 01:20 PM

Could you post that link? I was unable to find it on YouTube.

Part 1 - Part 2

It’s a walkthrough rather than a Let’s Play, so there’s no commentary. Was not that easy to find with the F.A.C.E.S. name… Tongue

Edit: it’s the same one millenia linked to.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 08 August 2015 12:36 PM

Personally I just saw him as another poor victim who had gone completely crazy from the torture he had been subjected to. That he could be evil or even one of the antagonists, was something that never crossed my mind, but I guess that it is possible.

The lack of a present villain or antagonist always makes me suspicious. Well, there’s Dr. Luther and his goons but they’re nowhere to be found in the game, only in the intro and in flashbacks.

And I said earlier that, just by description alone, I had a suspicion that Patient X would be harmless, which made the Mage seem like the most likely “not to be trusted” character. And then he gave us a voodoo doll to burn... Tongue

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 08 August 2015 12:57 PM

You beat me to the punch with that picture, Sefir.  I was saving it until tomorrow. Pan

Ouch!!

Picture deleted.  Smile

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lady Kestrel - 08 August 2015 12:57 PM

It’s always been a major premise in fiction that if you bring something back from the dead you risk bringing back evil.  The dark angel preyed upon the woman’s guilt about not telling her father, and it wasn’t until she accepted it and knew her father had forgiven her that she was able to defeat it.

But why should she feel guilty that her 6-or-8-year-old self wasn’t aware the puppy wouldn’t be the same? It’s not like there isn’t children’s literature where characters are brought back to life and everyone lives happily ever after. Her father wasn’t blameless either if he left dangerous equipment out where a young child could get at it. After her puppy died it was completely predictable that she might try to get the puppy back.
And it’s still not clear to me where this “dark angel” came from. Was it something from a picture she drew as an adult? Or was it something created by Dr. Luther’s manipulations? Or was it an incarnation of zombie puppy?

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The movie and the book Pet Cemetery by Stephen King came immediately to mind when I watched the bonus movie.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top