• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #11 - F.A.C.E.S.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 August 2015 06:20 PM

By the way, one of the elevator buttons is hidden in plain sight but is hard to see.  I’ve played the game 3 times now and always overlook it.

Is that the one near the photography developing equipment?
That’s the one I missed.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 August 2015 06:20 PM
TimovieMan - 04 August 2015 05:18 PM

And I’m not sure whether I should like the added difficulty of HOGs with flashlights, or not. Tongue

I’ve played several games that use a limited light source for a hidden object scene.  I don’t mind them, but they can be a bit tedious if over used.

Since I may not get on the computer until fairly late tomorrow (Wed.), let me post the next goal now.  This is the next-to-last section of the game.  When you’re ready, search for another photo that will transport you to a different part of the Consultation Center

When you return to the asylum, work to gain access to the remaining floors.  Interact with the next accessible patient and finish as much as you can.  Stop short of opening the first security gate just outside the elevator on the first floor. 

Since everyone is moving along nicely so far (and how can one not with such a helpful guardian angel), try to finish this section by Friday, Aug. 7.

By the way, one of the elevator buttons is hidden in plain sight but is hard to see.  I’ve played the game 3 times now and always overlook it.

I really didn’t mind the flashlight sequences but yes, would have found it tedious if the method was over-used!

I think I’ve completed as much as I can to get to the first security gate on the 1st floor - I’ve been up & down a few times & collected everything I could!

It’s a bit frustrating but I still haven’t been able to find some drugs for Icarus & apart from a cloth, not also the other items for the patient on floor 2 - I guess that in the following parts everything will come together.

I’m not finding too much progression on the story yet but the game is interesting enough but I did glean from the note in the x-ray room that Theodore who got the x-ray machine up & running hadn’t got a clue about what was going on in the asylum.

I didn’t seem to have any trouble finding all of the elevator buttons.

I think one of my favourite parts so far is in the cafeteria of the 3rd? photo because it all looked pretty normal apart from some mess but it seemed the kitchen was being used for unusual purposes!

As a very helpful guardian angel Lady Kestrel I do sincerely wish you are not having such bad hair days as the one in the game!  Laughing

Total Posts: 5588

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Crabapple,
That’s the button I meant.

Chrissie,
I’ve been letting my hair grow out all one length, so I have been having bad hair mornings lately. Smile

My live-in sister, who is cognitively impaired, loves spooky tales and finding hidden objects, so I think she wants to play this one.  However, she’s also a bit of a neatnik, so when she saw one of the messy scenes I was working on, her comment was, “Ewww!  They really should clean up that place!”

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

crabapple - 05 August 2015 12:02 PM

Is that the one near the photography developing equipment?
That’s the one I missed.

I had that one! And I was wrong: I had two. I don’t even recall where I got the other one…
Playing when tired.

chrissie - 05 August 2015 03:56 PM

I think one of my favourite parts so far is in the cafeteria of the 3rd? photo because it all looked pretty normal apart from some mess but it seemed the kitchen was being used for unusual purposes!

Funny. That was one of my least favourite parts so far because it was so blatantly HOG-heavy.
I dislike that we often have to revisit the same HOGs and that half the items to search for are the same both times. At least they can mix it up more, imo.

I’ve now reached the first security gate on the first floor. I’ve noticed that solving it will basically be a game of Master Mind.
Awaiting further instructions.

Side note: several posters have mentioned the music in this game, but I have to admit that I don’t find it particularly memorable. It just does its job but nothing more…

And I wish they didn’t use the in-game guardian angel for exposition this often. Can’t we just get inner dialogue remembering things instead?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 05 August 2015 05:34 PM

I’ve now reached the first security gate on the first floor. I’ve noticed that solving it will basically be a game of Master Mind.

Of all the puzzles in the game this was my least favorite. While I didn’t like the combination puzzle at the beginning of the game, at least I can solve it.

This puzzle is very much like the same puzzle in Shivers. You start, and if you don’t get an opening sequence you like, you restart, and keep going until you do. And then you go on from there. Very much different from the underwater puzzle in Phantasmat. Same concept, but this is much harder.

Side note: several posters have mentioned the music in this game, but I have to admit that I don’t find it particularly memorable. It just does its job but nothing more…

I think you are correct. But that is not a bad thing. I think that any musical score that outshines the game is probably a negative thing. Grey Matter is an example.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 05 August 2015 11:01 PM
TimovieMan - 05 August 2015 05:34 PM

I think you are correct. But that is not a bad thing. I think that any musical score that outshines the game is probably a negative thing. Grey Matter is an example.

Are you sure rtrooney? Because with that logic the Drawn series is another example where music scores may outshine the game you know…

I heavilly disagree with your statement though. If a musical score is both fitting, nice and contributes to the game’s atmosphere is a +++ in my books. That can happen with subtlety (as presented here. I like it but it’s not something to be enthusiastic with except of 1-2 tracks) or with much more grandeur like The Cat Lady, The Drawn series or Gray Matter. In both cases, even if overused it is the quality of the music that matters in contributing to how memoreble both the game and it’s soundtrack may be.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 05 August 2015 11:01 PM

I disagree. A musical score that outshines the game ADDS to the quality and enhances the atmosphere of the game.
A musical score that just fulfills its purpose doesn’t detract, but it doesn’t really add anything either. (So yeah, it’s not a bad thing, but it’s not particularly good either)
And a bad score can simply be detrimental, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I thought the music was too repetitive.
Eventually I turned it off.

Usually I’d rather have background sound in a game.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I finished the part too. I didn’t much care about the cafe either since it was just one hidden object scene after another. I like the atmosphere inside the facility much better. I don’t think every score is amazing or anything but I did notice here and there that it was good, and elsewhere it didn’t irritate me, so in my books that’s a good soundtrack.

I kinda agree with Timovieman than the angel is a bit overused.

Plotwise we don’t know squat about patient in 2nd floor, even less from the one in 1st and still we didn’t get the cure the hottie levitator. But at least I’ve seen some variety in puzzles. The setting and atmosphere is still keeping me interested.

Oh, and I had some buttons with me already, I just hadn’t notice them Tongue

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have also finished this part too.

This time I did take time to thoroughly searching every corner of the asylum at least twice, before proceeding to the checkpoint, but besides from some extra HO scenes there really wasn’t much I could do. I had hoped [spoiler]that I would have been able to make more progress on the task for the two other patients prisoners, but alas that isn’t possible yet.[/spoiler]

I quite like these puzzles:

Though they are perhaps a little bit too easy.

I also misread / misremembered the checkpoint description, and went just a little bit to far, and have already opened the first lock on floor 1. A nice little puzzle imo - took me two tries though.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I confess to really liking those ‘unknotting puzzles’ - I’ve come across quite a few of them in other games & seem to have a knack although I’m sure none of them were very difficult?  Laughing

I also confess to not finding the music very memorable but not displeasing!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 06 August 2015 12:48 PM

I quite like these puzzles:

Though they are perhaps a little bit too easy.

I like them too. And there was one that gave me quite a bit of trouble to solve (at least two whole minutes Tongue) - I think it was the one that unlocks the first floor. Of course, my trial-and-error approach (instead of thinking it through) didn’t help. Grin

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

TimovieMan - 06 August 2015 02:40 PM

Of course, my trial-and-error approach (instead of thinking it through) didn’t help. Grin

For any puzzles where you move one thing, and two or more other parts move — especially those interlocking turntable ones—I find that I get there faster clicking around at random than if I took the time to carefully work out all the moves in advance. I suppose I’m faster at clicking than I am at thinking.

BTW, I think I’m caught up now. The morgue is still dark, right? And the boiler room is still boiling?

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

For me the most difficult puzzle up to now, was our cell door…
I found every other puzzle easily solveable within minutes.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah the cell door was longest for me too. Took a moment to realize that all the markings will not line up. After that I initially went for the right solution but I suppose the discs were slightly off from somewhere since it didn’t work. Then I tried getting some kind of usable lines from other patterns but it didn’t seem to be possible so I tried the real solution again and managed to line them up fine then.

But I like those untangling puzzles too. I think it also satisfies my slight inner OCD.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top