• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 10 July

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

Every now and then I run across a game that may not be particularly hard. And it may have a plot line that borders on cheezy. But, nevertheless, is a game that is fun to play. Off the Record - The Italian Affair fits that description perfectly.

You are a reporter who is assigned to cover a robbery at a museum in Venice. (We should all have a job in the US that sends us to Venice on the spur of the moment.) There’s nothing unusual about the robbery except it was suppsedly committed by robber nicknamed La Volpe, The Wolf, who last committed a robbery five years ago, and is thought to be retired. You meet him early in the game, and he tells you he didn’t do it. Do you believe him? And if you do, then if not him, then who and why?

We are also contacted by an ex-girlfriend who has reasons to extract some payback for past deeds committed by The Wolf. And then there is the ever-present detective who was unable to put The Wolf in jail five years ago, and is now looking to right that wrong.

I have never been to Venice so I can’t say whether the graphics do justice to the real thing. But they are quite pleasant nonetheless.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 09 July 2015 11:12 PM

I have never been to Venice so I can’t say whether the graphics do justice to the real thing. But they are quite pleasant nonetheless.

Well, I could immediately identify it as Venice at a glance, so they got some things right.

With the lack of people in the screenshot it’s hard to tell whether this is present day or 200 years ago, though. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s gorgeous. Everything is lovely and clean. Only the pigeons are a reminder of reality. A European scene that exists as a moment somehow out of our normal sense of time. I see this often in casual games, where the settings are almost too perfect to be true. I call it “Idealized Europa.”

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I thought it was a fun game to play also. I believe though, that La Volpe means “the fox”. The wolf would be La Lupe or something like that.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-08-19

PM

furgotten - 10 July 2015 10:42 AM

I thought it was a fun game to play also. I believe though, that La Volpe means “the fox”. The wolf would be La Lupe or something like that.

Right you are sir,
Thanks for the post OP, actually enjoyed the game

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You’re both right. Unfortunately, The Wolf is the translation given in the game. Whomever did the translation from the game’s East European origins to Italian/English wasn’t on top of things. You would think that somebody in Beta/QA would have caught it. Even the logo (see bottom right hand of the screen) looks much more like a fox.

Was still a fun game to play.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I enjoyed this one, too.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 10 July 2015 11:10 AM

You’re both right. Unfortunately, The Wolf is the translation given in the game. Whomever did the translation from the game’s East European origins to Italian/English wasn’t on top of things. You would think that somebody in Beta/QA would have caught it. Even the logo (see bottom right hand of the screen) looks much more like a fox.

Was still a fun game to play.  Smile

I’ve just played this recently & agree it was a fun game to play & I did like the graphical style. The translation must have been updated by the time I got the game as the ‘villain’ was most definitely referred to as The Fox!

I played the CE version & was pleased to see that the bonus game was a nice addition rather than necessary to make more sense of the plot in the SE which was tied up nicely I thought. I lost track of all the things you could collect like morphing objects, foxes etc!  Smile 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There were no collectables in the SE version. Which doesn’t bother me much. I’m not a big fan of morphing objects to begin with. There were morphing objects in the SE version of Alien Town. Foolish me….I actually expected to get rewarded with something if I found them all. Wrong! There was a screen pop-up that notified me I had found them all. “That’s it?,” was my comment. And, yes, that was it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 11 July 2015 12:25 PM

There were no collectables in the SE version. Which doesn’t bother me much. I’m not a big fan of morphing objects to begin with. There were morphing objects in the SE version of Alien Town. Foolish me….I actually expected to get rewarded with something if I found them all. Wrong! There was a screen pop-up that notified me I had found them all. “That’s it?,” was my comment. And, yes, that was it.

There were, I think, about 4 collectables in the game but I just picked up on them as & when & did very badly!!! I quite like the morphing objects but really can’t be bothered to wait & look but just like it when they catch my eye! Laughing

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sooner or later one of the Ravenhurst games will show up here. I’m trying to decide which one. There was the one with the morphing object that was integral to the HO scene. I hated that game for that specific reason.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top