• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Did anyone used to like/still likes text adventure games? Which are the best ones you have played?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 12 July 2015 02:38 PM

I played Photopia now (great short story a use of colors)

I played it twice to see if a different choice in the speeding car at the beginning would change the story or at the very least make me feel less responsible. It didn’t.

but and even without puzzles I still managed to get stuck for while in the labyrinth becauseI missed the wings clue…  Mini Frown  Maybe the absence of visual feedback throws me off or I just plain suck in these games!

Of course you don’t suck at text adventures, it’s a matter of paying attention to seemingly unimportant details. Learning curve and all that.

Anyway, I’ll press on and play more games since it does interest me.

Do let us know how you like them. I wish more people posted about text adventures.

PS: I hope you tried to curse in Curses.  Cool

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 13 July 2015 03:35 AM

I played it twice to see if a different choice in the speeding car at the beginning would change the story or at the very least make me feel less responsible. It didn’t.

I was wondering that. After that initial part I had a feeling the game was heading to tragedy…

I didn’t but I tried now. Smile Apparently sorry isn’t good enough for “that kind” of language!

And I’ve finished All roads, interesting fiction story, still not sure of everything that happened but I think I got the gist of it - changing perspectives and time jumping and all. but how many characters? I did manage to solve the get out jail puzzle in 2 different ways! Small victories Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 July 2015 02:28 PM

I didn’t but I tried now. Smile Apparently sorry isn’t good enough for “that kind” of language!

I tried saying sorry too. Smile But there is a way to get the game moving again. I can’t tell from your response if you found it?

And I’ve finished All roads, interesting fiction story, still not sure of everything that happened but I think I got the gist of it - changing perspectives and time jumping and all. but how many characters? I did manage to solve the get out jail puzzle in 2 different ways! Small victories Smile

It’s very confusing. Did you pray in church? I didn’t and missed essential information. I found it interesting that Photopia’s developer hated All Roads. He wrote an article about its shortcomings. It’s true that it is a little unfair on the player, but I still loved it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 13 July 2015 04:31 PM

I tried saying sorry too. Smile But there is a way to get the game moving again. I can’t tell from your response if you found it?

Nope. I just tried being really really sorry but didn’t work. Wink  What it is?

It’s very confusing. Did you pray in church? I didn’t and missed essential information. I found it interesting that Photopia’s developer hated All Roads. He wrote an article about its shortcomings. It’s true that it is a little unfair on the player, but I still loved it.

I did pray at the church but I didn’t make any sense of it at the time because it was really at the beginning. At the end I thought it was just the assassin/traitor and the assassin had some kind of power to control time and fate (or something) to kill without leaving any clues. . But after finishing I went to see a guide and saw I missed the ghost brother completely. That church name made a lot more sense.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 July 2015 05:14 PM

Nope. I just tried being really really sorry but didn’t work. Wink  What it is?

One of the few things you can still do is check your inventory. The game has added a new item.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 13 July 2015 05:42 PM

One of the few things you can still do is check your inventory. The game has added a new item.

Lol, seen it now, makes sense, well played

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I recently finished Hadean Lands (excellent!) and have just started Counterfeit Monkey by the incomparable Emily Short. For hundreds of other great titles, this is an excellent resource for all things IF and Text Adventure: ifdb.org

Karlok - 10 July 2015 12:37 AM

Infocom: A Mind Forever Voyaging - Trinity - Border Zone - the Lurking Horror
Legend Entertainment: TimeQuest - Eric the Unready - both Gateway games
Magnetic Scrolls: Alice in Wonderland
Adam Cadre: Photopia
Jon Ingold: All Roads - Make It Good
Graham Nelson: Curses - Jigsaw
Michael Gentry: Anchorhead

I think I’d really enjoy those Legend Entertainment titles, but they don’t seem to be available anywhere (legally). Ditto for the Spellcaster series (101, 201 and 301). Sounds like they would have the kind of humor that would make my adolescent side giggle. I wanna play!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mike the Wino - 06 November 2015 01:00 PM

I think I’d really enjoy those Legend Entertainment titles, but they don’t seem to be available anywhere (legally). Ditto for the Spellcaster series (101, 201 and 301). Sounds like they would have the kind of humor that would make my adolescent side giggle. I wanna play!!

You can play several Legend games online. See for instance
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Timequest_1991

Have you seen this post (and a few other posts) in the Adventure game scene… uh, game thread?

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/49/P4560/#96604

The Lost Adventures of Legend (eight games) sometimes appears on ebay. It’s on amazon too, but more expensive.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top