• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04GabrielLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday 28 June

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Jade - 28 June 2015 01:40 PM

I think this is really one of those love it or hate it games. I’ve never tried it either.

I played the original version of Murder in the Abbey. I never really understood why people disliked it so much. I think some people expected the same story as “Name of the Rose”—and “The Abbey” isn’t “Name of the Rose,” nor is it as good as “Name of the Rose.” But it’s not like every story that features a medieval monk who is a detective is “Name of the Rose.”
For example, the “Cadfael TV series” wasn’t “Name of the Rose” either.

The game had other issues, such as taking a long time to get around and occasional lack of clues, and some bugs that might cause you to have to go back to a previous save. I don’t know whether the updated version addressed these problems because I only played the original. I thought Bruno was too cartoony—perhaps meant to be humorous, but wasn’t. But overall I enjoyed the game, and though the story wasn’t as good as “Name of the Rose,” I thought it was better than average for an adventure game.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I actually knew the game wasn’t the same as the movie but just couldn’t bother making the distinction since I was talking about the movie that was mentioned earlier. I noticed a lot of similarities though so I understand people make the connection. It’s all the better that the mystery in the game is different than in that movie, makes it a lot more meaningful to play.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

It looks like this game has been remade, with improvements:

The Abbey: Director’s Cut was originally released as Murder in the Abbey. The downloadable Director’s Cut includes a variety of enhancements over the 2008 original, including:

Visual improvements and changes: polished backgrounds, new characters, special effects, etc…
  New scenes and several new puzzles and footage.
  A new and spectacular final puzzle.
  Shortcut icon to the map.
  Double-clicking increases the speed of the main character movement.
  New additional voice-over for the new scenes.
  Revised playability, so that you can play in any order and choosing one path or another.
  Scoring system for each solved puzzle. In the style of RPGs, each clue you discover opens new options. At the end of the game you obtain a percentage of the discovered content. If you complete 100%, an extra scene is showed. The puzzles you solve affects the development of the story.
  Improved lip synching.
  Modified conversations for a boost to the pace of the game.
  New mix of music and sound. Some extra tracks added.
  Optimized engine.
  Windows 7 and 10 compatible.

It definitely looks better than the original. There were some things about that game that never allowed me to finish it, but I can’t remember exactly what they were.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Excellent, thanks Heady!

I’ve always been on the fence on whether to buy the original so this is immediately getting wishlisted.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top