• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday 28 June

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

zobraks - 28 June 2015 04:01 PM

Just too much hype and self-promoting, I’m afraid.

But then, self-promotion is usually—if not always—more constructive than self-pity anyway. Well met, Mr. Zobraks. Smile

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Book… film… book versus film… zobraks… “other forum” (yawn)... have it but haven’t played it… someone actually played 16 minutes of the game, wow!...

You’re gonna hate me for saying this, I realize that, but what is the point of responding to a screenshot in an AGSotD thread when nobody, not even the OP, has actually played the game?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Hey! I like this thread. Wink

And while you do have a point, I believe today’s “screenshot of a game nobody ever played” is the exception, not the rule.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jade - 28 June 2015 08:57 PM

Hey! I like this thread. Wink

No problem with that. Smile One of my own favorite AGSotD threads was the one about Manhunter 3 (abandoned), which immediately changed into a long thread about X-mas hatsies. Cool

And while you do have a point, I believe today’s “screenshot of a game nobody ever played” is the exception, not the rule.

Hm. Not entirely true, although you also do have a point. Lots of AGSotD threads get derailed by people who haven’t played an adventure game in ages. It’s one reason I would have liked the AGSotD threads to stop or change into something else.

PS: Yeah, I have played and finished The Abbey. Mediocre. I also read the book. Hm. Fell asleep during the movie.  Cool

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Agreed, on most counts.

I think it’s fair to comment on these even if you haven’t played the game in question, although I tend to refrain from doing so when that’s the case. It’s all good fun overall.

Besides, these threads can get readers interested in games they might not have even heard of. It sure happens to me on occasion. Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SoccerDude28 - 28 June 2015 07:27 PM

This game was torture to play. I really tried to get into it, but just couldn’t get past the first 15 or so minutes.

it’s one of those AGs only gets better after a while, and also one of those it took me a lot of quits at its start until I came clear with the idea that there is greatness behind it.

I can understand the strange camera views to be one of the game turn offs also the long dialogues while you procses through it, which make you consider Enda n Harvey’s just fair.
after all its good a game of you are fan of difficulties.

need to mention that the game designing, and soundtracks were made by the guy (behind it)

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

For myself, I’m enjoying this thread - and it’s gone two pages so others must be as well.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but Karlok, weren’t you saying at some point that you wished there were more replies to your posts when you were doing this thread?  This seems to be one of those games that even though most people haven’t played it engenders interest and replies which I think is a good thing.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Allegedly I’m a master of derailing the threads, so be it. Let me show you another path this thread could have taken:

Lady Kestrel - 28 June 2015 02:12 PM

I have this but haven’t played it yet.

Now this is the most unexpected statement.

Why? If you have to ask why (dear reader) you probably haven’t heard of The Mystery Manor Fall Tournament (TMMFT - I regularly mention it as a part of my neverending self-promoting campaign ), since The Abbey / Murder in the Abbey had featured in (I believe) all the tournament issues from 2010 to 2013 (when I took part in it). Abbey was so ubiquitous (and players needed to know tiny plot details, characters’ names -there seemed to be at least 30 of those monks, dressed in same colo(u)rs, who all looked almost the same to me save the main meanie, dressed in red- and such in order to solve the tourney puzzles) that each year (at the end of the tournament) I promissed myself/swore to play the bloody thing already and be prepared for the next year. I never got to play The Abbey (although it’s of my favo(u)rite kind, cartoony graphics FTW) of course (I’m probably the laziest person you have met), I used the YouTube playthrough of the game to dig the facts I needed the next year (thus spending almost as much time as playing The Abbey by myself would have taken ).

What’s the point of this mini-novel? The point is that I had so much trouble with The Abbey and its numerous details in TMMFT and now the main engineeress of TMMFT’s puzzles comes here and says she had never played the very game. I know there are other people who help making TMMFT the torture fest it is (one of those guys is obviously obsessed with The Abbey ) but Lady K’s confession is still amazing (to me).

Dara100 - 28 June 2015 11:06 PM

For myself, I’m enjoying this thread

Everybody is enjoying this thread save one person.

P.S. 410 views (in less than a day)?!? Whoa!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dara100 - 28 June 2015 11:06 PM

For myself, I’m enjoying this thread - and it’s gone two pages so others must be as well.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but Karlok, weren’t you saying at some point that you wished there were more replies to your posts when you were doing this thread?  This seems to be one of those games that even though most people haven’t played it engenders interest and replies which I think is a good thing.

It’s great that everybody is enjoying the thread, absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if you can’t see the irony of a dozen people commenting on a game they haven’t played, so be it.

Advie - 28 June 2015 09:43 PM

it’s one of those AGs only gets better after a while, [....] and soundtracks were made by the guy (behind it)

Mission accomplished. Smile

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I have played the game! Or at least about that 16 minutes of it…

It seemed alright, there was much to explore and plenty of dialogue at the start. I wasn’t completely gripped though because some other game proved to be more interesting and I forgot about The Abbey. I still have it though and will hopefully eventually play it too.

Also liked the movie. Never got myself to read the book though everyone has said it to be even better.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

millenia - 29 June 2015 05:07 AM

Also liked the movie. Never got myself to read the book though everyone has said it to be even better.

I didn’t like the book much for two reasons. It’s clever, but in my probably twisted memory almost half of the book is intellectual and very dark stuff about religion in the middle ages. Pages and pages and more pages of boring discussions. And the second reason is that I identified the killer the moment I had all the relevant information. I like playing detective, but that was disappointing. Not much of a challenge.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I proposed it for an AGCP in the previous voting and had a promising number of support. Smile

It is a very nice game IMO, and a very underrated one. Nice atmosphere, great voice acting, stylish graphics (the animation not so much), very intriguing storyline and some very smart riddles. And a couple of very stupid ones. It has “Name of the Rose” all over it (I too believe that the movie is far better than the book btw. The book was full of trivial details that spoiled the continuity of the storyline. But this is a trademark of almost all Umberto Eco’s work, a renowned semiotician but not that good of a writter IMO).

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 29 June 2015 07:05 AM

I proposed it for an AGCP in the previous voting and had a promising number of support.

Ahh, so you guys propose smart nominees there afterall

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 29 June 2015 09:08 AM
Sefir - 29 June 2015 07:05 AM

I proposed it for an AGCP in the previous voting and had a promising number of support.

Ahh, so you guys propose smart nominees there afterall

Yes, but you sadly still don’t vote them. Wink

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And to stay completely off topic

TimovieMan - 28 June 2015 06:31 PM

I basically went “F@!# this!” and closed the book. And to think Foucault’s Pendulum is supposedly even worse at that… *shudder*

Foucault’s Pendulum is actually one of my (many) favourite books Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top