• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

It’s in the text, I used Visual Basic 4.0 to make the game in 1999.

Now I’m using Game Maker Studio Smile

I’m a programmer so I could have used many languages and even code my own engine in C, Java or anything, but Game Maker simplifies the task so much!

It can export the game to many environments with the same code and there’s pretty much no limit on what you can do on the creative side. (It’s not limited to adventure games, you can do any kind of game wih it)

Although it has a drag’n drop style of programming, I don’t really use it. All the game is coded using the built-in language (GML)

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

The Kickstarter is doing great! 70% funded now! Smile

Can’t say the same for the Greenlight though, totally stalling… I don’t know the reason but my game didn’t get a lot of views there.

So if you’d like to see my game on Steam someday, please vote for it!!!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502785332

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve backed it and also voted on Steam greenlight.

One thing I’d love to be able to do though is play the virtual basic 4 game :-) I’m very curious about it.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Thank you very much for the pledge and vote Smile

Well, here’s the thing about the old version. I have it, but it’s difficult to play it for two reasons :

- It has compatibility issues post-Windows XP. It only runs in compatibility mode, and on some computers it hangs when switching between rooms.

- It’s only in French. Back then I had no plan to translate it…

However I could still make a video of it. I’ll probably do it at some point Smile

EDIT : Wow, Serena from Cliqist just posted a really awesome “Hands On” of the game, I highly suggest everyone interested in the game to read it! Smile

http://cliqist.com/2015/10/14/hands-demetrios-irreverent-humor/

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Je suis français :-) So language wouldn’t be a problem (and might still be fun to include it for backers who are curious Smile)

But yes visual basic 4 compatibility is a bit of a pain. I developed a shareware in it back then and had to deal with emails from customers a few years later with issues installing it Smile

By the way, the most frustrating bug I ever had was Visual Basic 4 saving numbers with a ,  in a csv file because the computer was a french computer with ‘,’ set as the decimal separator and then failing to read that csv because obviously the number of , didn’t match anymore…. 

Anyway, I’m getting off-topic. I’m really looking forward to play it. Bonne chance pour le kickstarter!

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Ahhhh, dans ce cas Wink

Yes I could definitely send it to the (few) backers who request it! But at your “risk and peril”!

I also wouldn’t recommend playing it before the newer version, unless you’d want to spoil yourself.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes, for sure. I wouldn’t play it until after I finish the new version Smile

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

90% funded now! Will some of you help Demetrios reach its goal? Smile

I have posted an article on the creation of a room in the game! Read it in the updates :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983902887/demetrios

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Good news!

Charles Cecil (I think everyone here knows him, right? :p) said this to me today about Demetrios : “The game looks really fun and very impressive, particularly since you are working on it alone! Let me wish you the very best of luck!”

How cool is that?! And I also had a chat with Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye Games) today, who said he’ll check out my game demo soon!

I’m truly amazed to be able to reach awesome adventure game creators like them! Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

COWCAT - 17 October 2015 02:44 PM

Good news!

Charles Cecil (I think everyone here knows him, right? :p) said this to me today about Demetrios : “The game looks really fun and very impressive, particularly since you are working on it alone! Let me wish you the very best of luck!”

How cool is that?! And I also had a chat with Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye Games) today, who said he’ll check out my game demo soon!

I’m truly amazed to be able to reach awesome adventure game creators like them! Smile

Does Charles Cecil allow you to quote him on that on your Kickstarter page? Couldn’t hurt to namedrop him… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I’ve asked him, and he gave me the OK Smile

Just as a proof :

What does “namedrop” means?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Namedropping is mentioning a well-known name, in this case Charles Cecil.
Many Kickstarter campaigns start with positive quotes by famous people or websites about the game they’re kickstarting. It really can’t hurt your campaign…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Well it’s a bit of a vicious circle in this case, I’ve been able to contact him because the Kickstarter helped to spread the word and reach other game devs Smile

Yes, it sure can help!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Great to see it coming along so well. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose Game Maker instead of something like Unity? The latter uses C# and is cheaper if you’re thinking of releasing it on different platforms.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Congrats on getting funded! Now hope you can get enough to reach that PS Vita stretch goal

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top