• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sunset - Tale of Tales

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sunset

You are Angela Burnes, a houskeeper and immigrant to the town of San Bavón, Anchuria. Every week, an hour before sunset, you clean the swanky bachelor pad of Gabriel Ortega. You are given a number of tasks to do, but the temptation to go through his stuff is irresistible. As you get to know your mysterious employer better, you are sucked into a rebellious plot against a notorious dictator.

A modern story with narrative-driven first-person exploration
Striking style and atmospheric visuals
Influence the relationship between the two protagonists with your choices
Distinct soundtrack in many styles to evoke the atmosphere of the 70s

Just finished this one. Was kind of suprised it took 4 hours. Was expecting it to be mush smaller. Game is pretty, really pretty, in fact it was my favorite part of it, all that sunset lighting with the great moody soundtrack. Lovely game to relax. Not a lot of interaction. Was disappointed with reading in the RPS review the choices don’t affect much of the outcome. Probably tons of secrets to find - game has 100 achievements… (but a lot of them involve findings books).

Offtopic - A huge amount of new adventures have been releasing these weeks. Good stuff

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You’ve already finished it! Wow. I got my key yesterday and played for 15 minutes to see what it was like.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Nice! Orange sky with purple hue!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve managed to complete three days and I’m very intrigued by this game! But I have to stop playing. I have a reasonably modern Windows 7 PC with the latest graphics drivers (nVidia) but I just can’t get this game to run smoothly. Even in really low resolutions and low graphics quality settings (which kind of make the whole experience suffer) things start to lag terribly within a copuple of minutes of playing. Tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions. Other people having problems with this?

Edit: Just found the STEAM forums and I am not alone. Seems to be a Unity thing and the developers say there’s not much they can do and recommend people to use the lowest graphics settings. I will try since I really want to play this one. But they really should have used a different engine if this is the best this can get. The graphics card fan starts screaming with pain within minutes of playing on pretty low settings.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 23 May 2015 03:55 AM

You’ve already finished it! Wow. I got my key yesterday and played for 15 minutes to see what it was like.

I started it because I was in mood play something stress-free, I was expecting it to last 1 hour so I was surprised the game kept going. The character and story kept me interested to see the ending. Please do share your thoughts on it when you finish, I know from the AGSOD you like most of their games, that’s where I took notice of this one.  (I still have not played the others)

TimovieMan - 23 May 2015 05:12 AM

Nice! Orange sky with purple hue!

Best part is finishing the chores soon, sitting in the couch in front of the big window, listening to the soundtrack and reading the diary while the light changes.

Veovis - 23 May 2015 05:04 PM

I’ve managed to complete three days and I’m very intrigued by this game! But I have to stop playing. I have a reasonably modern Windows 7 PC with the latest graphics drivers (nVidia) but I just can’t get this game to run smoothly. Even in really low resolutions and low graphics quality settings (which kind of make the whole experience suffer) things start to lag terribly within a copuple of minutes of playing. Tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions. Other people having problems with this?

Edit: Just found the STEAM forums and I am not alone. Seems to be a Unity thing and the developers say there’s not much they can do and recommend people to use the lowest graphics settings. I will try since I really want to play this one. But they really should have used a different engine if this is the best this can get. The graphics card fan starts screaming with pain within minutes of playing on pretty low settings.

That sucks… Seems like what happened with Dreamfall Chapters, hope they get to fix that, the game doesn’t need to be demanding…

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Before the release I had read on the official website that it had high system requirements.
Which meant an instant “Nope” from me.

Which I’m not worried about as I have, so, so much to play at the moment it’s not even funny- and stuff that will actually run on my ancient PC.

It does interest me though, if I ever get around to upgrading.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Amazing game.

I took me about 4 hours too, but I kind of rushed it at the last third. I had to review it the same day (afternoon to be precise) and I’ve encountered some bugs that crippled my exploration in certain areas (went through “unlocked” doors only to find they were initially closed and couldn’t come back to do the chores). However, I did play the early build, which was handed out before game was officially released, and my integrated Intel 3000 HD struggled with Low Settings.

I mostly played cold, distanced Angela Burnes who’s minding her own business, grabs a cup of coffee afterwards and sits at her favourite place, watching the sunset and writing her journal. That’s just the kind of person I am. Smile

Occasionally, I would write back to Ortega on that small notes (always formally, of course), try to find cute, always misplaced robot on every session (he had very much reminded me of Kerotan frogs in MGS 3, but I think that after a while he just disappears Frown ) and do the usual round of sweeping (I can’t think of any other lunatic that would do that).

Sunset is abundant with small (in)significant interaction and it was very hard for me to try all the things at once, while finishing all the chores. Later on, when space became more and more tighter, it was easier, but still… I’ll definitely come back to it once or twice to explore everything and see how it might have been if I’d made some other choices. Developers previously said that we won’t have a major impact on the story so I had that in mind while playing. And was perfectly content with my ending. Smile

Sunset is probably the best “interactive FPS story” I’ve played. With plethora of small interactions and fantastic interior design, it managed to tell a deep, complex story (well, that depends on how much you invest in it), both on grand, political and small, humane scale.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It sounds like Tale of Tales have upped their game on this one, possibly a reaction to critiques of their last couple of games lacking story? Bientôt l’été was the last thing I bought and it didn’t do it for me.

I like their approach even if it results in inconsistent quality at times.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

All their games are different, I like that about Tale of Tales, they don’t repeat themselves and they’re not afraid to try novel things. I didn’t get Bientôt l’été either. Superbia Luxuria was not meant to be anything but a fun 20-minute diversion. IMO. Shifty Eyed Sunset is good. Haven’t finished it yet, taking my time.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Troubling news:

Sunset failed to sell and Tale of Tales seems to be closing:
http://tale-of-tales.com/Sunset/blog/index.php/and-the-sun-sets/

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sunset was released a month ago and yesterday Tale of Tales posted an article about its sales: only 1772 copies, including the Steam sales. Shocking. Beats me why. The reviews were good. It’s not like Tale of Tales is a newcomer in the world of indie game developers and Sunset is much more accessible than their previous games.

Here is the link to the article. The tone is rather bitter and they’re walking away from video games. That’s sad.

EDIT: Great timing, Karlok.  Shifty Eyed

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think it’s terrible. It seems like they made an effort to appeal to more people and advertise the game but the nobody bought it.

Indie games on Steam seem to be a very difficult market now, the there tons of releases each day and only 2d-pixel games or terrible open-world survival games stand out because of youtube streamers and steam curators.
Seems like it’s more difficult to only tell a story and stand out with all the noise.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Bad news! I don’t have time to read the article, but I would have thought the successful kickstarter campaign would have them at least break even? To think that many more people than the ones showing their interest through funding it’s development may have been a miscalculation. The high system requirements may have played a part too. It has been an issue many people have brought up at forum discussions about the game. I finally managed to play Sunset on my brand new Mac mini (Iris graphichs and SSD drive). Still had to play on pretty low settings but at least it was playable. Good game. Too bad if ToT will be no more.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I just spent the best part of an hour reading posts at reddit, a site I hardly ever visit.
Look at that! All of six responses to the game itself when it was released a month ago and 950 to Tale of Tales’ latest blog post. It goes without saying that about 98 percent of the responses is extremely negative, uninformed, aggressive or downright nasty. There’s a message here… Would I understand the world better if I visited reddit more often? Jesus.

It’s true that the tone of Tale of Tales’ latest blog post is a bit disagreeable. But that’s beside the point, they were pleasant enough in the past. Why doesn’t the game sell with all the exposure and positive reviews it got. Are people getting tired of games like Gone Home, Dear Esther, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Kentucky Route Zero?

I liked Sunset, but not as much as I thought I would. I had technical problems as well, although my computer fits the requirements. For me Tale of Tales will always be the company that produced The Path.

PS: Those 4000 copies in the pic include the 2228 Kickstarter backers.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 22 June 2015 08:38 AM

Bad news! I don’t have time to read the article, but I would have thought the successful kickstarter campaign would have them at least break even? To think that many more people than the ones showing their interest through funding it’s development may have been a miscalculation.

Yeah, I think so too. They asked for 25,000 dollars and got 67,000. Maybe they got carried away. It was news to me that they had put in an extra 40,000, but I didn’t read all their follow-up posts.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2015-05-29

PM

I associate the studio most with ‘The Path’ as well, and I think it’s a real shame that the company that produced it won’t be making any more games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top