• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why is QTE so despised in modern adventure games?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Given the success of modern adventure games that have used it (ex. TWD) it seems to be the way of the future—why is it so hated?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Its seen as a form of laziness and simplifying game design. Instead of gameplay that directly simulates: jumping over an obstacle, attacking an opponent, and taking their weapon… a QTE can turn into.. press E in time to do all of the above. It takes logic out of the gameplay and becomes more of a game of simon says. 
And its not just adventure games, QTEs can bother fans in any genre.
I dont really mind them when theyr used well. Heavy rain is a good example where the QTE’s are intricate and well integrated into the game.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Yeah like Zane said, hatred towards QTE’s is not exclusive to adventure games. Games like The Order 1886 got panned by journalists because of its excessive use of QTE’s (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/02/20/the-order-1886-manages-to-contain-every-single-kind-of-bad-quick-time-event/). I personally do not mind QTE’s if the story is interesting enough to hold my attention (like the Telltale games, and the Quantic Dream games), but some people have very strong opinions against them here.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It’s a way to make a non-interactive thing feel interactive. As such, it’s not so much a game mechanic as a trick to make people feel they’re playing something when in fact it’s just the something’s that’s playing.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well one reason is probably because it’s usually used in action scenes, which are quite widely disliked themselves. If it’s not that, they are often excessive or unintuitive, and even downright distracting (can’t follow what’s happening on the screen because you must smash the buttons like crazy).

If they are used logically they’re not that bad. And usually I really enjoy the non action scenes in games that use QTE, doing everyday movements with a draw of the mouse or analog stick instead of just clicking everything.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It doesn’t belong in adventure games. It’s an action mechanism.

Replace insult swordfighting in Monkey Island with ‘tap X quickly to win’. That’s the future of adventure games? No thanks.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I suspect The Walking Dead would have been successful without QTEs. It didn’t need QTEs even though they were implemented more seamlessly than usual. Press F to pay respects.

They can really take you out of a game though. There’s a trend to end boss fights with QTEs and it never feels as satisfying as taking control to finish off a boss how you see fit.

Funny irony though is that it’s watered down action games but pumped up the violence in adventures. Every episode of a Telltale game has a fight sequence now. I’d like to see how it’s handled in the Minecraft spinoff.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 06 April 2015 09:15 PM

Given the success of modern adventure games that have used it (ex. TWD) it seems to be the way of the future—why is it so hated?

Way of the future! pfft you better have a look at Dragon’s Lair, it’s so old school and way of past actually.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

The problem I have with QTE is that when they appear I don`t pay attention to the game anymore. I was playing The Wolf Among Us and when the fighting scenes started, the characters and the actual fighting were just noise in the background because I was too busy concentrating on the next key to press.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
This problem can be circumvented though. There are ways to announce that a interaction-free cutscene will follow. Uncharted games have some QTE but you know when to expect it.

My stance on QTE is that it is fine as long as they are not excessively done. They have always been really easy for me so….

But I do think they feel more at home within action/adventure games.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

For me, the main problem with QTE’s is that they take players out of the game.

For instance, in an adventure game, if an NPC pulls out a gun I might have a limited time to pull out my own gun and shoot him before he shoots me or someone else. I probably have to open the inventory, select the gun and click it on the NPC BUT I do all this while thinking that I’m pulling a gun out to shoot someone in the game. It fits well into the established control mechanism and thinking of the game.

If, however, a message pops up saying “Press ‘E’ on the keyboard” while a timer counts down, I am thinking about pressing a button on the keyboard and not about drawing and firing a gun. The immersion is gone. [/personal opinion]

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Telltale could take out the huge button prompts and slow-time mechanic and just let the players and let the players figure out that they have to dodge when a punch is coming or press Q to open a door.
It would be better and for the involvment in game but they are probably too scared it would frustrate players or something.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Abnaxus - 07 April 2015 04:38 AM

The problem I have with QTE is that when they appear I don`t pay attention to the game anymore. I was playing The Wolf Among Us and when the fighting scenes started, the characters and the actual fighting were just noise in the background because I was too busy concentrating on the next key to press.

Same problem here. Watching someone else play a game on YouTube shouldn’t be more enjoyable than playing the game yourself. But with QTE’s you miss the cut scenes that help tell the story because you’re so focussed on playing Simon.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally for me QTE’s are also very often a bit too gimmicky and they try to gamefy story elements that don’t need to be gamefied. There’s some occasions when a QTE event can work, but usually the way they are executed feels very counterproductive and at worst distracting.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I have to echo other people’s thought on here. I don’t think they’re terrible, but they can distract from the cut scenes and storytelling. I think Shenmue did them well as they mostly turned up in a not so important scene and the button prompts matched the layout of the games controls throughout the game. X was punch, b was kick and y was throw just like in the game itself.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Antrax - 07 April 2015 12:26 AM

It’s a way to make a non-interactive thing feel interactive. As such, it’s not so much a game mechanic as a trick to make people feel they’re playing something when in fact it’s just the something’s that’s playing.

QFT - It is a dirty trick to make us fell like we are playing a game, when in reality we are just watching a cutscene - QTE simply can’t die quickly enough!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top