• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Pillars of the Earth

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2008-02-17

PM

Hiya!
Couldn’t find a topic of the adaptation of Ken Follet’s book “Pillars of the Earth”, so I made a new one so we can share links with each other. I myself just found this; http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/289334/Daedalic+on+finding+the+right+way+to+adapt+Pillars+of+the+Earth/

It’s an interview with Matthias Kempke about it. Really looking forward to seeing more books being translated into adventure games!

I am rubber, you are glue

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Oh that’s interesting. I’ve been eying the books now and then but never got myself to start reading. There’s the tv show though, but would it be better to start with the game, hmm…

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thorn - 23 March 2015 07:23 AM

Hiya!
Couldn’t find a topic of the adaptation of Ken Follet’s book “Pillars of the Earth”...

2 reasons for little talk about it:

1) It’s coming in late 2017, and more importantly
2) Not a single screenshot & preview video has been released yet

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Trailer in the front page:

I don’t think it looks very hot but it’s very early

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, the graphics are certainly one step back compared to Chains of Satinav, and especially The Whispered World.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

You did notice the words ‘Early Alpha’ on the screens did you?
I’m very curious about this game. Overhead both Pillars of the Earth and its successor and I loved them, so I’m looking forward to an this one.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

New trailer

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Positive reviews for the the first episode showing up:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ken-folletts-the-pillars-of-the-earth

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

And a very enthousiastic review here.
I loved the book too, and I’m very curious to the game. However, I found the second book much better than the first. I will wait until all three parts of the game are available as one package and then buy it.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

This game is a masterpiece. The character development is wonderful. The drama unfolds like reading the best page-turner of a book. The sense of scope epic.

And one of the finest examples I’ve seen of player choice feeling important and urgent.

Which leads to my question for those who have played through a couple times. Do these choices lead to vastly different pathways and endings? Having just played through once, and wondering about playing through again, I’m wondering if I would get to play through different scenes altogether or experience at the very least different endings.

Thank you!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve had this downloaded for a while but keep meaning to ask - is this best played with controller or mouse/keyboard?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It’s a 2D point & click game. Just use the mouse.

(Also, I should really get around to playing chapters 2 & 3 at some point.)

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thanks; that defo doesn’t sound like it requires a controller.

It’s a question I increasingly find myself asking (Observer and Xing spring to mind as recent examples).

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about this game! Wonderful game.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Yes, it is a really good game. I think maybe people were afraid because it looked so different from the more traditional Daedalic games they were used to, but for me it is a big step forward from the direction they were headed with previous titles like Silence or Fire. I think people wrote it off as a “non-adventure” with the comparisons to Telltale and interactive fiction. For myself as soon as I started playing I didn’t even care what category or genre it was in, sure the puzzles were not difficult (if you could call them puzzles) which I think was intentional to make the story flow. Let’s face when you are wanting to know what happens next in the story does anyone want to be stuck thinking about which inventory item to combine with to get past an obstacle? Not in 2018, those kind of puzzles were in the 80s and 90s and always were there to bloat the gameplay, sure there was the rare occasion where they were logical and satisfying but mostly they were exercise in frustration. I tried to play A New Beginning earlier this year and had to quit after an hour because it was just too dumb, they way they put barriers to moving forward and make them as illogical and obscure as possible in order to end up with a game that lasts 6 or 8 hours long. Here in Pillars of the Earth we have a 20+ hour game that doesn’t rely on that mechanic, where exploration is necessary (unlike Telltale) and rewarding.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

This is definitely a game I have to play asap. What I have heard of it, I`m pretty sure I`ll like it Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top