• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

what game has the absolute best puzzles?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I enjoyed Make It Good (2009) by Jon Ingold. A detective story. Looks easy at first, but it isn’t. Oh no!

Curses and Jigsaw, both by Graham Nelson, are must-plays. Trinity too. I loved Anchorhead, but I would not call it hard.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I breezed through Anchorhead and I’m no puzzle genius, so it’s definitely not hard. Still, it’s one of my favorites.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s also one of my favorites. I think I played it because you recommended it years ago. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

Easy, the game with the best puzzles of all time is:

ASA: A Space Adventure (pretty sure that ASA stands for A Space Adventure, so the title is A Space Adventure: A Space Adventure, I guess???)

Classic Myst-clone puzzles ramped up to the ultimate degree. I never finished Rhem, hardly even started it, but think Rhem if the puzzles were extra logical and not boring/excruciating at all. Half your play time you will be writing in and contemplating over your notebook, but the logical problems you face are just so entertaining to solve I was never board.

Second place, Schizm, but it has some bad ones thrown in with the good ones.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

The finale puzzle in Gray Matter is one of my favorites of all time. Definitely check that one out if you haven’t already.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wisnoskij - 25 March 2016 01:49 PM

ASA: A Space Adventure (pretty sure that ASA stands for A Space Adventure, so the title is A Space Adventure: A Space Adventure, I guess???)

Classic Myst-clone puzzles ramped up to the ultimate degree. I never finished Rhem, hardly even started it, but think Rhem if the puzzles were extra logical and not boring/excruciating at all. Half your play time you will be writing in and contemplating over your notebook, but the logical problems you face are just so entertaining to solve I was never board.

I think you’ve got it mixed up. Rhem1+2+3+4 has the most stringently logical puzzles you’ll find in a game. ASA has pixel hunting and horrible navigation problems, born of uneven design. Fix those and it would be a good game, probably.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-03-26

PM

The most satisfying puzzles for me were found in

- Grim Fandango
- Day of the Tentacle
- Monkey Island 2 (except for that one)
- Monkey Island 3 (a bit on the easy side but puzzles are fun and clever)

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

For me, a game only qualifies for this if it:

a) Has multiple puzzles available for the users (at least during larger parts of the game).
b) Has a lot of variation in them.
c) Are challenging.
d) Makes the objective clear for the player.
e) Adds hints in the dialogues, characters and enviroments.

With those criterias, these are among my favorites:

The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Day of the Tentacle
Gray Matter
Broken Age
Gabriel Knight 1
Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yachmenev - 26 March 2016 08:16 AM

c) Are challenging.
-snip-
Broken Age

Err…

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

Oscar - 25 March 2016 11:48 PM
wisnoskij - 25 March 2016 01:49 PM

I think you’ve got it mixed up. Rhem1+2+3+4 has the most stringently logical puzzles you’ll find in a game. ASA has pixel hunting and horrible navigation problems, born of uneven design. Fix those and it would be a good game, probably.

He fixed the pixel hunting and other navigation issues in the remastered edition (I am really glad I did not play it when it first came out).

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Antrax - 26 March 2016 08:55 AM

c) Are challenging.
-snip-
Broken Age

Err…

Should I assume by your short comment that you don’t fully agree with me?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

a) Has multiple puzzles available for the users (at least during larger parts of the game).
c) Are challenging.

The game that fits those criteria better than any other game is Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality, especially when it comes to the variation of the puzzles.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yachmenev - 26 March 2016 09:00 AM
Antrax - 26 March 2016 08:55 AM

c) Are challenging.
-snip-
Broken Age

Err…

Should I assume by your short comment that you don’t fully agree with me?

Neither Broken Age nor the third season of Sam & Max stand out as challenging games. Certainly not in the vein of the other games you mention.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 26 March 2016 10:49 AM

c) Are challenging.

The game that fits those criteria better than any other game is Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality, especially when it comes to the variation of the puzzles.

I’m in chapter VI of the game, and while the puzzles are in theory quite nice they have big problems. What makes them frustrating is that they are mostly tasks that could be done so easily in real life, but it feels like the game sabotages the task to make it harder for you.

An example is using the paper slip to find the gas leak and reading the book to find how to apply the fresco. The latter is particularly bad, that a book written by a professor would be so unclear. Lara’s answers exchange “for” and “with”, you don’t know what you mean when you say it and even after solving it you don’t know why it’s right. This is the only one I needed a walkthrough for because there was no chance of understanding it. There may be translation problems here (is the game originally German?), which also occur in most lines of dialogue.

It is a surprisingly good game and I do enjoy it, however the puzzles are no more than average. The better puzzles of the game are all standard ones that can be found in your average adventure - sliders, box puzzles, safe-cracking.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2016-03-17

PM

Great to see Ghost Trick in the list - it sprang to mind. Some great games mentioned in this thread! Based on some of the recommendations I can see there are a bunch more games I should be playing Smile

In general I dislike non-contextual puzzles, and enjoy those the most that are tied closely to the story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top