• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

what game has the absolute best puzzles?

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

With all due respect to the question, it’s kind of impossible to answer due to so many different opinions and so on. Maybe the question should be what’s your favourite puzzles?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 22 March 2015 12:54 PM

Broken Sword 1, from plaster of paris to buzzer hand.

For the most part , all the puzzles made sense with narrative and nature of the game.
And very creative.

Yes agreed! It’s the 1st true Adventure game I played & set the standard for me - you missed out the goat puzzle…..

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Tad - 22 March 2015 02:04 PM

With all do respect to the question, it’s kind of impossible to answer due to so many different opinions and so on. Maybe the question should be what’s your favourite puzzles?

no. all due respect, that thread already exists.

also, broken sword 1 is pretty lame imo.

people are already understanding and responding fantastically to this thread, so i don’t see a problem.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

RockNFknRoll - 22 March 2015 05:37 PM

With all do respect to the question, it’s kind of impossible to answer due to so many different opinions and so on. Maybe the question should be what’s your favourite puzzles?

people are already understanding and responding fantastically to this thread, so i don’t see a problem.

RockNFknRoll whether you think BS is pretty lame or not you should add it to your list as other players rate it!    Laughing

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Absolute/best/ultimate Puzzle is way overrated words to help me distinguish one, and one only out of my memory, but any big puzzle that must let you go through many other smaller ones until figure out what needed to be done, and then think about how to put the last action into making it complete is my Absolute/best/ultimate ‘puzzle’

Spitting contest would be a warm up to those kind of puzzles; but if i oughta drive the long way to reach the far end of those kind; then its Riven marble’s puzzle!, but also in between those is one i always loved and i never forgotten, at Police Quest III; Ploting the previous four crime scenes at the police office computer map to detect the upcoming fifth, you need to be aware of a lot of details/address/crimes-allocation and relativity, to come up with the conclusion in the 1st place of trying ‘if’ this might lead to anything. Great feeling rewarded, when it’s done, A a great puzzle, indeed.

p.s:excuse me if i missed the point of mentioning ‘the’ game that has the ..etc,  not the puzzles themselves.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

You’ve just proven why this thread would never give a good answer. Also, calling BS1 lame just because I mentioned it earlier is just trolling. So, you know…back under your bridge.

If you really wanted to argue about it though, there’s more then enough evidence out there to prove you wrong.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m not sure I can give a definitive answer, but there certainly are some games that I can think back on and I feel “it was fun to play”, which is different from “it was a great game”, though they certainly may both be true. So those old school type of adventures that really are fun to play usually do have a fair share of good puzzles.

Discworld Noir
Day of the Tentacle
Edna & Harvey - The Breakout
Blackwell Epiphany
Resonance
Cognition

Everything but the last two is also on my top 10 list, so maybe I should take note that good puzzles actually matter quite a bit.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2003-09-23

PM

I would put Myst 3 Exile up there for a vote (though Riven remains my number one):

One of my favorite puzzles is/was the ball/marble/pinball/bowling ball (or whatever those balls were supposed to be Smile) puzzle in Amateria of Myst 3 Exile. In fact, most of Amateria is one big ball puzzle consisting of 3 or 4 sub-puzzles in which you get the balls to move correctly over various tracks. It is an ingeniously designed puzzle.

Myst 3 Exile is one of the most underrated adventure games of all time and I maintain that it’s almost as if it got lost in the shadow of the great Riven and if the latter had never existed, Exile might well be looked on as the best Myst game ever.

Exite shines with great puzzles from the opening reflector-light puzzle to the very end. All said, a particularly great feat for Presto Studios to have created a Myst game almost indistinguishable in quality and ingenuity from the 2 Cyan games that preceded it!

(Hmm, just noticed that my post count is listed as 1. Guess my posts from years ago were zero’d out. Smile)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

millenia - 22 March 2015 06:44 PM

I’m not sure I can give a definitive answer, but there certainly are some games that I can think back on and I feel “it was fun to play”, which is different from “it was a great game”, though they certainly may both be true. So those old school type of adventures that really are fun to play usually do have a fair share of good puzzles.

Discworld Noir
Day of the Tentacle
Edna & Harvey - The Breakout
Blackwell Epiphany
Resonance
Cognition

Everything but the last one is also on my top 10 list, so maybe I should take note that good puzzles actually matter quite a bit.

Discworld Noir just sprung to mind for me too as having good puzzles. The way the game links everything up at the end was pretty clever too.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Tad - 22 March 2015 06:52 PM

Discworld Noir just sprung to mind for me too as having good puzzles. The way the game links everything up at the end was pretty clever too.

Yeah. It has the notebook referring thing that’s wonderful for detective type of games and very underused. Some inventive puzzles too, and everything stays very logical from start to finish. Add some noir, humour and supernatural mystery to that and it’s can of pure awesome.

I also had to edit my message as I had added Cognition, it’s the last two game that aren’t in my top 10, though they are both also very good.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Tad - 22 March 2015 06:14 PM

You’ve just proven why this thread would never give a good answer. Also, calling BS1 lame just because I mentioned it earlier is just trolling. So, you know…back under your bridge.

If you really wanted to argue about it though, there’s more then enough evidence out there to prove you wrong.

what are you talking about? this is my thread! you tried to change the whole point of it and now you’re mad that i denied your request? and daring to think BS is lame is trolling…huh? i don’t understand you and don’t care to. like i said there are already fantastic answers. it seems like you are just very bitter for some reason.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

What request? I simply said this isn’t something that can really be found as there’s too many different opinions - hence my last post. The rest of you post is just touchy nonsense really.

As for trolling, yes, it is. If you’re targeting something and giving nothing of real thought or critique back then it’s clearly there to irate. The subject in question pointed out some of the puzzles in Broken Sword. For some reason, you decided to target that after I mentioned it. Therefore, it’s trolling.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Tad - 27 March 2015 02:40 PM

What request?

sigh. “Maybe the question should be what’s your favourite puzzles?”

I simply said this isn’t something that can really be found as there’s too many different opinions

but it can be found and i’ve already gotten great suggestions. a human reading my first post would not think i was asking for the scientifically objective response, obviously i’m open to opinions as long as they are based on good reasoning.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

RockNFknRoll - 27 March 2015 02:48 PM
Tad - 27 March 2015 02:40 PM

What request?

sigh. “Maybe the question should be what’s your favourite puzzles?”

I simply said this isn’t something that can really be found as there’s too many different opinions

but it can be found and i’ve already gotten great suggestions. a human reading my first post would not think i was asking for the scientifically objective response, obviously i’m open to opinions as long as they are based on good reasoning.

Key word there, “Maybe”. That’s not a request, that’s a suggestion. You’ve also proved you can’t find it with the rest of this post. You’ve had great suggestions. That’s not what your thread title says.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Key word there, “Maybe”. That’s not a request, that’s a suggestion.

yes i said no to your suggestion and you got pissy. it’s ok, move on please.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top