• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #8-Drawn: Trail of Shadows

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Good question re: who wrote the letters. I might go back and take a closer look. I’ve just discovered a feature where I can access each chapter individually without having to replay the whole game.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I only remember two letter sources. One was Franklin and the other was Iris’ mother.

It would appear that when Franklin created/painted all the characters he also created them with some level of cognition.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure who hasn’t finished. Or who is still mulling thoughts about the game, but haven’t yet posted.

Still, it seems about time to pull the plug on the current Playthrough thread.

I will suggest that if nothing new comes through by this coming Wednesday that TimovieMan un-pin the thread.

A great playthough series. It was good fun for me. Thanks to all that participated.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Re: the letters signed with the letter “C” (stamped in wax).

Here’s the first one:

So the author seems to be someone who lives in the painted world, and it’s not the boy (the one who painted the worlds). The only character I could find whose name begins with the letter “C” is the Calligrapher, who only appears in the underground bonus game.

Here she is after writing on her slate (her voice has been stolen).

The narration by Franklin also mentions that the boy left behind written clues and quick sketches in order to help the stranger—the one he glimpsed as he was kidnapped (us). So the notes without the Calligrapher’s stamp might be from Franklin. It’s intriguing that, despite being held prisoner, he has time to write most of his hints in a rhyming format. Also, if he has a pen and can write hints and sketches, why doesn’t he just draw himself a hole to jump into and escape?

I think that the evil wizard (and probably the evil King from the first two games) sprang from the boy’s own mind—he painted both light, sunny worlds, and dark, frightening worlds. Sometimes the worlds of his nightmares would infringe on the worlds of his daydreams, it seems.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 05 April 2015 08:57 PM

A great playthough series. It was good fun for me. Thanks to all that participated.

And thank you for leading this playthrough, it was once again great fun.

Regarding the notes, then I really didn’t pay much attention to them (or can’t remember anymore) but it was my impression that the notes in the first two games was made by Iris, and the notes in the third by Franklin. But based on Becky’s screenshots it does seem like there also is someone else leaving letters for us.

Becky - 06 April 2015 09:41 AM

I think that the evil wizard (and probably the evil King from the first two games) sprang from the boy’s own mind.

I believe that Franklin (the boy) created Iris’s world and Iris herself, or more likely her parents, and I agree that the evil king in the first two games, was also created by Franklin, but I disagree when it comes to the evil wizard!

Just as Iris and the evil king existed on the same level, or in the same painting, then Franklin (the boy) and the evil wizard also existed on the same level, so whoever painted Franklin and the world Franklin lived in, must also be the one that created the evil wizard.

For all we know it could have been us the player, that painted both Franklin the evil wizard and the world they exist in. I however see the player as more of an agent of a higher level, traversing the lower layers of paintings to discover what is going on, than a creator of worlds himself.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It may be necessary to look to the teachings of St Thomas Aquinas to solve this conundrum. Who or what is the Prime Mover?

I put my money on the young Franklin. If there was an entity the came before, I don’t know who or what that might be. Unless we think of Franklin as a creator of this world as a god, then the only option is to think of Franklin’s creator as the God. That God being whatever God you think of as being the God according to your personal religious views.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 09 April 2015 12:41 AM

It may be necessary to look to the teachings of St Thomas Aquinas to solve this conundrum. Who or what is the Prime Mover?

This is I believe where we see it differently. I don’t see or think of it as there is some Prime Mover somewhere in this game. Instead I see the game as being similar to the movie The Thirteenth Floor with endless layers in both directions, or more accurately: Endless potential and future layers moving downwards, and a high but unknown amount of layers moving upwards.

There might be some top layer with a prime Mover, but it is impossible to know if it is the actual top layer, or if there isn’t another layer on top of that.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t think we’re that far apart. The difference between these games and The Thirteenth Floor is that some of the people in the VR environment know that their world is not real. While others, the vast majority in fact, believe that their world is real. The Prime Mover(s) in TTF actually entered the VR world intentionally.

I think our difference is that while we both believe Franklin created the Drawn world. Which, if true, makes Franklin the Prime Mover, I was simply leaving open the possibility that some other entity, (unknown to us,) created Franklin.

The answer would come if you were able to ask Franklin if he believes that the world in which he lives is real. If he answers Yes, then something created him. If his answer implies that there is another, external world, then Franklin is the Big Guy!  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top