• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Terry Pratchett has passed away

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series of fantasy novels, has died at age 66, it has been announced.

RIP

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks nomadsoul for the news, I was so shocked, I looked up more info:  BBC News

Alzheimer’s disease is very cruel but even more tragic to be diagnosed with it so ‘young’.

I never got around to reading any of his books but besides those he’s left the legacy of 3 very memorable games based on his works & am sorry that there were never any more.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 12 March 2015 04:55 PM

Thanks nomadsoul for the news, I was so shocked, I looked up more info:  BBC News

Alzheimer’s disease is very cruel but even more tragic to be diagnosed with it so ‘young’.

I never got around to reading any of his books but besides those he’s left the legacy of 3 very memorable games.

Thats why i applauded Julian Moore’s performance in Still Alice, her performance was so great, speech impairment and whatnot , patients gradually start loosing grip on everything.
Its even more tragic for Families because its very easy for children to get it from parents, at certain young age as you say.
Cry

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

‘Tis truly a sad day. Rest in peace, Sir Terry, and thanks for your legacy!

nomadsoul - 12 March 2015 05:01 PM

Its even more tragic for Families because its very easy for children to get it from parents, at certain young age as you say.
Cry

Not only that, but it hurts more for the family to see their beloved ones degrade before their eyes, ultimately no longer being recognized by them, than it hurts for the one suffering from Alzheimer’s as he/she doesn’t always fully realize it.
It’s a truly dreadful disease to live with for everyone involved.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

He’s not suffering anymore. Must have been extremely distressing to know he would eventually lose his ability to write.

Incidentally, Pratchett didn’t write any of the Discworld games. His greatest contribution to gaming is his daughter who wrote the story for Mirror’s Edge and the Tomb Raider reboot. What a great series of difficult games we got from Terry’s creation though.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 12 March 2015 05:01 PM

Thats why i applauded Julian Moore’s performance in Still Alice, her performance was so great, speech impairment and whatnot , patients gradually start loosing grip on everything.

I’m now interested to watch the film but can’t get it on DVD until July! But sadly I came across this:  Still Alice

I don’t know what to say.  Cry

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Frown Frown Frown

This is very sad indeed. One of my favorite authors of all time. May he rest in peace. He will be missed!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve read nearly half of his books. He made me laugh many, many times. Thank you, Sir Terry!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I would love to play his games again. Do you know if they work on scumm? His games were perfection.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

mbday630 - 12 March 2015 08:03 PM

I would love to play his games again. Do you know if they work on scumm? His games were perfection.

We had a community playthrough here of Discworld not too long ago.  It ran like a dream in Scumm.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

PC Gamer posted a great article, Pratchett was actually on the cover of the magazine’s first issue in 1993.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-tribute-to-terry-pratchett/

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

thanks. I have all the disks…. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out scumm, but, I will give it a shot.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Here to pay my respects. R.I.P.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

I played the first two DW games as a kid when they came out, then read all the early Ricnewind books and a few others in my late teens. Also got to meet him at a book signing/reading here in Chicago, right before his diagnosis was revealed. He was such a friendly, lighthearted man. Such a prolific author who still kept writing via dictation even in the winter of his life—talk about love for his fans and his creation.

He will be missed but has left a huge legacy as an author and a storyteller across many mediums. Rest in peace, Sir Terry.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

I’ve read about a third of the discworld books, I believe, and have always had a great time with them. It’s comforting to know I’ve got so much of his work left to devour. Grin What a legacy!

I firmly believe that when death came knocking on his door, it was in ALL CAPS and that he felt right at home.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

mbday630 - 12 March 2015 08:25 PM

thanks. I have all the disks…. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out scumm, but, I will give it a shot.

Create a new folder. Copy all the files from the disc into the folder, run scummVM, click “add game”, locate the folder and select “choose”, then click “ok”. The game will then appear in your list of games and should run smoothly Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top