• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Brian Moriarty wants to make a sequel to Loom™, but would only ‘entrust’ it to Telltale, Double Fine and Wadjet Eye

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/6/8162949/loom-sequel-telltale-double-fine-wadjet-eye

Apart from the news the best part that caught me eyes was this:-

“I played Loom from start to finish for the first time in over a quarter of a century. I had forgotten nearly half of it,” Moriarty said. “I remember the general scheme and plot, but many little details, many lines were gone. So I had the extraordinary experience of playing my own game as if it were sort of someone else’s. And through the pain of making it I have really not been able to see what I had done. You know, it really doesn’t suck. Yeah, it’s shorter than normal and easier than normal, but that’s what Telltale does every day now.”

quite funny!

But the question that would remain until further updates, if this to happen who you/we would love to see Loom™ sequel entrusted to at the end?

P.S: With all due respect, Daedalic would have been a winner if it was represented at the this equation.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Brian Moriarty rules! Cool He’s not just the creator of Loom but also one of Infocom’s implementors and one of the best storytellers in interactive fiction! Trinity, Wishbringer, Beyond Zork.

Go for it, Brian! Thumbs Up Do a Kickstarter and I’ll be one of your first backers. Do whatever it takes to fund your sequel to Loom, as long as you don’t spend the money on bottomless pit Double Fine. 

PS: Hey, what about copyrights? Have I missed something…

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

No one from the above, that’s for certain.
Give millions to that guy doing Forge, he deserves them much more.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm, I suppose if I could pick one of the aforementioned developers I’d go with DoubleFine, but I really wouldn’t want any of those three studios to be in charge of a Loom sequel. Then again, I can’t really think of any currently active developers that’d be properly suited, except maybe Gary Winnick and Ron Gilbert. Still, it’ll be interesting to see what’ll happen to it. Loom is quite possibly my least favorite LucasArts game (the worst of the best), so I don’t have too much nostalgia over it, but if it ends up being yet another TTG interactive movie with characters who “will remember that”, I might just give it a miss.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Gary and Ron are way too busy and I think DF is going to want to do more original stuff after Grim. Still, of the two, DF would seem like the more likely alternative.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

He didn’t say “only”. He just named those three. No disrespect to Moriarty, but he probably couldn’t even name five other adventure game developers nowadays. Tongue

Emily (fov) was at this talk, so she’ll be doing an article on it soon.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

‘only’ you Jack can clarify these matters Wink

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Disney owns the rights to Loom. I don’t think he meant to imply that a sequel is happening, just that those are the three studios he sees carrying on the banner. Telltale and Double Fine are pretty obvious, but to have Wadjet Eye mentioned in the same breath as those two, in a room full of game developers, was a very nice compliment for Dave Gilbert and company.

He did also plug the fan game Forge during the talk.

Like Jack said, I’ll be writing it up as an article for AG in the near future. He gave some great behind the scenes details. And even though I’ve not played it, now I can say “Ask me about LOOM” and actually have an answer when someone does. Smile

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Dave added this on Facebook:

So… update. Had a nice chat with Brian. In a nutshell, the legal rights to Loom are so tangled up that it would be a herculean effort to unravel them. So no Loom 2. At least not by us. We haven’t ruled out doing a collaboration, though. In any case, this made us very happy.

I would love to see a Loom sequel. One of the best, and underrated adventure games. Wadjet Eye would be a great fit for a loom sequel, unless we wanted to see a more modern take like something that Telltale would do I guess. If I looked at all the games that DoubleFine have done, I can’t imagine them being suitable for a Loom game.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

DF twitter: ask me about Loom - woaaaah, what could this be? Grin

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Toefur - 07 March 2015 07:32 PM

Dave added this on Facebook:

So… update. Had a nice chat with Brian. In a nutshell, the legal rights to Loom are so tangled up that it would be a herculean effort to unravel them. So no Loom 2. At least not by us. We haven’t ruled out doing a collaboration, though. In any case, this made us very happy.

I would love to see a Loom sequel. One of the best, and underrated adventure games. Wadjet Eye would be a great fit for a loom sequel, unless we wanted to see a more modern take like something that Telltale would do I guess. If I looked at all the games that DoubleFine have done, I can’t imagine them being suitable for a Loom game.

Why would it tangled up? Doesn’t Disney own them or there was a third part besides Lucasarts at the time?

Mr Underhill - 08 March 2015 05:10 AM

DF twitter: ask me about Loom - woaaaah, what could this be? Grin

Loom remastered after Dott? (They are probably just trolling Smile )

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I actually dont think loom would fit in telltale’s “agenda” right now. Theyr launching this “super show” approach and working on original IP’s with that film company. Whether you like the idea of them working on it or not.. no room for loom.

That joke tweet from DF must have happened immediately when it was said. So like wadget eye, theyr probably interested in hearing more. But he probably named the biggest quality studios he could think of in part because its going to take a big effort to get the rights squared away.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Advie - 07 March 2015 09:10 AM

P.S: With all due respect, Daedalic would have been a winner if it was represented at the this equation.

You’re right, I’m not even particularly a Daedalic fan but I could totally see them making a solid Loom game with Brian Moriarty.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Caliburn - 08 March 2015 06:59 PM
Advie - 07 March 2015 09:10 AM

You’re right, I’m not even particularly a Daedalic fan but I could totally see them making a solid Loom game with Brian Moriarty.

Yeah, I think that could work. Particularly with a game originally written in English. Also, it couldn’t hurt if they’d get in contact with a more solid voice actor studio.

I think some of what’s dragging down Daedalics English releases is the fact that they are translated. I’m not saying translations can’t be good, but it’s quite common for a number of things to get lost in translation, and I think that’s part of what tends to make their dialogues a bit stale. It doesn’t help that the English voice actor studio they hire seem to read the lines out of context while recording, which makes the acting less convincing.

It’s not uncommon for dialogue to be translated out of context either. For example, in the English version of Murder in the Abbey, originally a spanish adventure game, objects such as tables and cupboards were frequently referred to as “him”, rather than “it” (just as an example, if you try to push a crate, the character could respond “I can’t move him”). In spanish one can use pronouns such as “lo” (him) or “la” (her) about objects as well as people. There is a spanish equivalent for “it” (ello) but it is not used much. Obviously those sentences were translated without the translator knowing what the sentences were actually supposed to be describing.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Ugh, Daedalic? They’d need to seriously step it up. Maybe with Moriarty taking a very solid lead in it. Also, they’d need a big revamp on their graphical style (though I admit the Dark Eye games and A New Beginning are much closer than their usual games).

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

To me it seems it would be hella lot more strategic to do a KS for a new IP rather than wasting time on trying to bend the loom-rights out of disney. I’d certainly support such a KS regardless of which studio he would choose to do it with.

Emily: I look forward to reading the article! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top